close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Straight Bar vs EZ Curl Bar

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by mossy500camo, Aug 30, 2006.

1. mossy500camo

mossy500camo ammo found

Straight bar vs EZ Curl bar for Biceps, etc?

2. DBradD

DBradD

Straight bar -- chinup bar that is. ;) My biceps are doing better than ever at the moment and I just do about 8 sets of chinups with varying grips (overhand, underhand, close grip, wide grip, etc.). I bet you're getting sick of getting answers to "a different question (in this case--'Do you think curls are the way to go?')"--sorry.

Back to your actual thread: For curls, I've always used a straight bar although I don't really know if it matters other than wrist comfort. It's just easier to pack 365 lbs on a straight bar, LOL.

3. mossy500camo

mossy500camo ammo found

The reason that ask is. I began using the EZ curl bar about a month ago. I dont seem to be getting any pump in my Biceps while using the EZ curl bar. But the straight bar. Woooooooo!!:shocked: I did feel discomfort in my wrist. But.. I soon got over it after a few sets.

In my case. I do believe the straight bar is better for ME.:thumbsup:

ps
    Dbrad,
    365lbs for benching or what? Impressive.:thumbsup:

4. DBradD

DBradD

Cool--seems like the straight bar is your choice.

I was just joking about curling 365. I used to squat and deadlift a lot more than that but bench press quite a bit less. That was a long time ago.

5. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

I bet you could get there again ;)

6. DBradD

DBradD

Maybe so. It might be cool because soon I'll be competing in Old Man category so maybe a 500 squat would actually not suck for once! :supergrin: I always thought I was strong until I competed. There's just something embarrassing about being 181 and barely squatting and deadlifting more than the 148 winner! In my weight class, dudes were squatting 660-680, deadlifting about the same, and BPing about 400-450. Humbling--and those were drug-tested contests. I would've probably felt and looked like peewee herman in a non-tested contest.

7. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

8. DBradD

DBradD

Not quite. I used to be 181. There's no way I can get to 165. The lowest I got earlier this year was 168 and I probably couldn't beat the 132 women's division winner because I was so weak. I could probably be a leaner 181 than the old days after packing on some muscle and barely making weight. Who knows what I'll do--I sure as heck don't at this point.

1003 at 198!...it's beyond words to describe how awesome that is. 5.07x bodyweight!!!

9. malkore

malkore

i use both, plus dumbbell curls and hammer curls, and the preacher curl station.

but only a couple sets, one exercise, and only 1-2 days a week. i'm currently doing enough rowing and pull-ups that my biceps are gaining size/strength.

they're a small muscle group and don't need a ton of volume to incite growth.

10. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

I always thought a straight bar was a little more effective because of the position it put your wrists in, which contracted the biceps more. Or atleast it gives a better pump since your wrists are more supinated.

Is supinated even a word? As in supination?

Not that you can supinate your wrists with a barbell, but it puts more tension on the biceps. As in contraction. Like when you flex.

Jeezus, can I ramble on any more?!?!:upeyes:

Throw me a bone here, it's 4am.

Anyways, I too get a much better pump with a straight bar.

11. malkore

malkore

yes, supinated is a word (it means palms up...pronated is palms down, and of course neutral would be palms facing the body)

ever do reverse grip curls...a pronated grip? rocks the brachialis.

12. mossy500camo

mossy500camo ammo found

Well.. This is the second week of using the straight bar. I do believe that the straight bar for bicep & triceps is more effective than the EZ Curl. For Me Anyway.;) I include dumbbells as well. My biceps and triceps were really PUMPED today. It was like they were going to explode.:shocked: I didnt get this from the EZ Bar. So anyways.. I thought that you guys and gals might want to know. Straight Bar.:thumbsup: