close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Str8shootr's Leonardo (Leo)

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by MrsKitty, Mar 3, 2005.

1. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

This is Str8shootr's kitty Leonardo (Leo)

He is 20 lbs, Maine Coon, 1 year 8 months old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

That is a great big fluffy kitty :)

3. Str8shootr

Str8shootr

Thanks again MsKitty!

4. Glockgirl26

Glockgirl26

Are Maine Coons typically that big? That's a whole lotta kitty! He's a beautiful cat!

5. Str8shootr

Str8shootr

Maine Coon cats do grow to be big cats. I saw one once that was over 25 lbs. Gee, that is larger than some dogs! Anyway, the boys, especially when neutered, grow to be big. I took him into the vet in December for an annual check up and that is when they wieghed him. The vet told me to start cutting back on his food a little since he was starting to bulk up. She told me you really had to watch these guys at this age, they will just eat and eat and eat, if you let them.

I used to leave food in his bowl, but now I dole it out in small quantities. I haven't really noticed any weight loss, but I do get "leg hugs" alot more now, wanting food. I will be glad when he is out of the kitten stage, because he can be very destructive with his size (jumping up on tables, knocking off lamps and breaking them, etc.)

It has been a learning experience having him. I have had the pleasure of being ALLOWED to live with 3 Siamese in the last 30 years. The largest was a male, and he would curl up on my crossed arms and sleep. When Leo lays on me you know something is on you. He is about 4 feet long from tip of his tail to his nose. I always wanted a big cat, be careful what you wish for. LOL

To see a big cat, go to snopes.com and search for maine coon cat

6. lazarus

lazarus Hard to Kill

Am I the only one who thinks Maine Coon Cats look a lot like Bobcats?

7. Emmiline

Emmiline Cybil

WOW..he is BEAUTIFUL :):)

8. Str8shootr

Str8shootr

9. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Oh yeah, that kitty is HUGE! ;P

10. Walter45Auto

Walter45Auto

He's 20 lbs, and only a Yr and 8 months?!? I'd hate to have that monster jump on my head at 4 in the mornin.

;g

;8 ;I

11. MrJinx

MrJinx Cats rule!!!

remember, large cats need love too!;)

I've never have the pleasure of having a Maine Coon. They look pretty cool. The cat (I adopt cats not buy them) I would get if I did would be at Turkish Van. They are so cool. My friend at work has one. she claims the cat goes in their swimming pool. I have yet to see this but others say that breed will take to water. Crazy.

12. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

Hey Str8.......

Gorgeous boy you got there...........

Maine Coons are typically big mellow giants..........

Also, just a heads up, have the vet check him for Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy......that's what took my little Joshua when he was 2......

All the articles I read online say that male Coons and persians are more suseptable and I believe vets can rule it out with a chest X-Ray as the heart grows large and thick (maybe they can tell by just listening to the heart too or an EEG)......I am not saying your boy has it, it is just more common in the coons and persians. My current vet says it more common in PUREBREDS.......and Joshua was a Purebred Choc Point Siamese.........

13. Str8shootr

Str8shootr

I had him checked and xrayed for that.

His only problem, so far, has been feline gingivitus (sp?) I gave him antibiotics for that, and it is supposed to stop it permanently if given early enough.

Thanks for the heads up.

Speaking of Leo, does anyone here ever have their long haired cats bathed and groomed by a groomer? I really don't want to go there with him by myself. (bathing)

14. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

wow!! you are on top of things if you already knew about that heart condition......glad he is ok. It is a damned devestating thing and I had NO clue Joshua had it......

I think some vets will bathe and groom, and what they do is tranquilize them......

One thing I have done with my cat is to bathe him I put him in a mesh laundry bag, you can buy them at Walmart, and I cut it down to fit him, then put the hole around his neck and then cinch it up......he is immobilized and the water and shampoo can get to him. I had to bahte Max my seal point right after I got him for 6 weeks straight 2 times a week because he had a terrible case of ring worm.......

those were pathetic, sad, terrible days, but ring worm is a thing of the past. He gave me a couple ring worm sores and I had to treat it too.......

But bathing a cat is not all that hard if they are restrained properly.