close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

"Story tellers"

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by bassman-dan, Mar 20, 2006.

1. bassman-dan

bassman-dan NRA Lifer

I've been an avid hunter & fisherman for over three decades and have taken my share of game and fish. At best, I'm only "fair" in my efforts to fill a game bag or creel but I enjoy the sport, none the less.
    I've observed a behavior over the years that continues to puzzle me and I am wondering if any of you guys have seen the same behavior from some outdoorsmen.
    Its not exactly what I'd call common but every once in a while I'll run into a very good hunter or fisherman who exagerates his accomplishments to the point of absurdity. I've probably met 5 or 6 of these guys over the last 30 years but I don't go looking for them. They seem to be pretty normal otherwise but insist on telling ridiculous stories about their abilities...and they are perfectly serious. I don't mean just tall tales, either- hell, we all exagerate sometimes--I mean full-blown lies they tell with a straight face.
    Example: One very skillful, successful hunter told me that he had killed 500 deer in ten years off of a particular property that I know hasn't seen a total of 500 deer in the last 100 years. He said it with a straight face fully expecting me to believe him. (What would you do with 50 deer per year?!!)
    That is just one incident of many that finally resulted in me steering clear of this guy. Funny thing is, his real accomplishments were very impressive without any lying.
    Have any of you guys run into one of these characters?

2. noway

noway

yeap almost everyday and like you said you don't have to go looking for them.

The guy I most remember, told me a tall tale " He sworn to god that he took a doe deer on a full run with a 6" pistol chamber in 22LR and it flatten that deer right their on the spot. And get this, at 100yrds " ;P

I ask him how much he lead that deer and he had that confused look on his face ;)

3. bassman-dan

bassman-dan NRA Lifer

That reminds me of a guy I met while deer hunting in Colorado. He was another out-of-stater who really loved his 7 mag.
    He told me that my 270 wasn't enough gun for mule deer and he had to move up to 7 mag to kill them. He also stated that there was little or no hold-over required the 7 mag because it was sooo flat shooting. I just wrote it off as ignorance.
    A few days later I met him again and he told me that he had bagged his 4 X 3 muley at 600 yards. Yep, no holdover required.
    I asked him what distance his rifle was sighted in for and he said 100 yeards. His holdover should have been something like 4 feet at that distance!
    I still get a good laugh out of that one.

4. noway

noway

yeap..... any these people are serious and get piss when you call their lies.

I betcha half of the people have never killed anything in their life except a fly and then the other half have never hunted anything other than a mouse with a mouse trap and had problems just doing that :)

5. StockGlock23

StockGlock23 Hilarious!

Does that guy travel because I think I talked to him yesterday at the range. Only difference was he was a 300 mag fan not a 7mm fan. I was sighting in my .270 and he told me after a bunch of other stories how he shot a mule deer at 4-500 yards (at that range you can't just ballpark a hundred yards of leeway, or at any range for that matter) he aimed at the bottom of the deer's feet and just behind the front leg. Dropped it right there. He was aiming down a "super steep" (his own words) mountain onto a plateau. He aimed low because the bullet "climbs" when you shoot downhill.

I seem to get these guys alot because I shoot slowly and get good groups and I am young so they try to impress me with stories that make Quigley Down Under look like a shooting parlor at the fair.

6. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

;z

Quite possibly my favorite was when I was told a .22 hornet would "bounce off a coyote if it's over 75 yards away". I asked if he'd be willing to let one bounce off him at 75 yards. Apparently coyote hide is "almost an inch thick", so the same thing doesn't apply to people. ;)

I'm amazed I have any success at all. According to the 'experts' I have awful gear, can't shoot nearly far enough and never use the right gun. I must be damn lucky I guess. ;f

7. bassman-dan

bassman-dan NRA Lifer

I have to just smile and nod my head when I hear these guys spouting their B.S. I've often wondered if they are really that bad at judging distance or just like to spin tall ones.
    I suspect that a session with a laser range-finder would really open their eyes.

8. nyredneck

nyredneck كا&

Dingdingdingding!!! we have a winnah! I wonder how many "200 yard" shots were well short of 100? My Father has always said that people in our area who always shoot 200 pound deer would NEVER want a scale 'cause it would always be "off" anyways!;g
    "I swear that's a 200 pounder, dang scale must be broke!!";Q

9. StockGlock23

StockGlock23 Hilarious!

I am kind of the opposite. I shot a groundhog once with my dad's 22-250 and I was like oh it is not that big a deal. I figured it was like a 100-115 yard shot. My buddy paced it off at 185 yards and it was shot off a shop rag and the hood of his Dakota.

I caught a really nice bass one time during a local tournament and I told the weighmaster it was 3-3.5 lbs. when I pulled from the livewell he looked at me like ;P ended up weighing 4.49 lbs. I took 2nd place over another guy that had 3 just legal bass.

10. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

One of my realitives, (on my wifes side), said he has deer out on his place that follow him around, "IF" he has a "SNICKERS BAR," with him.

WHEW !

But, this is the 'same guy,' that also told us, that he fired numerous rounds out of his 45acp, at a Tom Turkey standing in the middle of a field all alone, and the bird never moved, while all these bullets were hitting the ground all around him! (he was just trying to scare the bird, 'he said'), not hit him. (evidently, this bird was deaf, or fearless as heck,) OR, as i suspect, this realitive is a 'Earnest T. Bass' type fellow !

I got to admit........ If you "must" visit your inlaws, you might as well get some laughs out of it! ;)

CanyonMan