Story behind the shooting video?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Gos, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Gos

Gos

2. PROSOUTH

PROSOUTH

The complete training overview and analysis of the murder of Georgia Deputy Kyle Dinkheller. His family wanted this film released to be used for training and the saving of other officers lives.

3. mymini40

mymini40

I say hesitance and complacency were the main reasons for this officers murder. How many times do you have to give an order to a perp before switching to plan B. Like he was screaming at the top of his lungs and the perp was not even listening.What about back up? Just my thoughts.

4. Fiery Red XIII

Fiery Red XIII Adorkable CLM

Well, that made my stomach twist into knots unrecognizable. :frown:

Red

5. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

Let me take the thread to a bit different angle.

IMO, it's totally acceptable to be using the footage to educate. As was pointed out, that's something the family wanted. That's how we learn.

It's a totally different thing to be using the footage to advertise. I find Piazza's advertisement and the character behind it to be utterly despicable. The mere fact that he's posting the last moments of a dying man in order to increase his bottom line is beyond contempt.

Closely related to this revolting display of opportunism is the snarky attitude which he puts out in his narrative. "I do not like to be critical without also being constructive, so allow me to do what only I can do, and offer every law enforcement officer in the country as well as every gun-owning private citizen the opportunity for a lifetime of Front Sight training for pennies-on-the-dollar!" Ya know what, it's not something that only you can do, and if your fees reflected actual rates---as evidenced by what people are willing to pay for your certificates on eBay, it'd be more like "dollars on the penny". That attitude---the unwarranted superiority complex---is clearly what blinds Piazza to decency and prompts him to advertise with a man's death rattle.

And then let's close with an invitation for people to send in their video---Jerry Springer would be proud.

Ladies and gentlemen, I urge you to reconsider any support you may be providing to this pimp of death. Whether you're planning on attending and putting your dollars into his pocket, or whether you're teaching there and enabling this travesty, or simply recommending the school for someone to learn the basics....Is this really what you want to support?

Iggy, if you or your minions are reading this: Go Pound Sand.

6. op2k

op2k

Damn.....that video will always be in my top three "hardest to watch". Even though I know the outcome, I always force myself to watch as a reminder.

Oh.........and +1 to Sam Spade's post above.

7. Branspop

Branspop Daddy X2 CLM

I concur with Sam. It irkes me to no end to see someone capitalizing off of an officer's death.

8. Bushido5150

Bushido5150

WOW !!! that was bone chilling..... I haven't seen that video before. I am sure we will see it in the academy.
    Correct me if I am wrong (I'm only in week 2 of the academy) The officer would have been justified to taze/spray/...shoot? when the man rushed him? and/or when he went back to his truck and started rummaging around. Not listening to commands and such? right?

9. Notrega

Notrega

Damn right Sam...

10. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

Does anyone else remember being told the Deputy's agency had drilled a "shoot someone, loose your job" mentality and that was the reason he was hesitant to draw and shoot?

That video and Trooper Coates (SC) are hard to watch. They showed us the Trooper COates video in the academy. When the lights came on, the told us, enjoy the Christmas break.

A-holes.

11. fuzzyduck

fuzzyduck

This video is one of the 2 I watch from time to time just to keep me thinking. I hate them and at the same time appreciate the value of them. Using them to sell a product is disgusting.

Bushido, When he says drop the gun and the mand doesnt, he was justified to shoot. From what i have heard, his department had the shoot and loose your job mentality. He from what I recall was recently disciplined for using force and that could have been a causal factor in the tragedy. He ordered too many times and did not act. Training has evolved a lot.

12. Gos

Gos

+1
    I though it was pretty despicable myself...

13. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

I don't recall the names of the videos but we watch a lot of those in our update training. Always brings an uncomfortable silence to the room full of chatty and unruly cops.

I agree about Dr. Ignoble Pizza. I met him once... thought he was a bit full of himself and if it's not about him, it's not gonna happen.

14. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

I watched the tape again... does anyone have the story on the shooter? He's got people with him in the car while he was trading fire with the deputy. This was one of the harder tapes to watch of officers getting killed because you hear the life going out of the officer with each last breath... using this tape for training is one thing, using it for personal gain is another.

15. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

I've seen the video before a few times, and only knew a little of the backstory. For instance, we were told that the shooter was some ex-military type who proceeded to run off and hide in character with his cowardace, and that the Deputy (for whatever reason) was extremely hesitant to engage the attacker. What I have never seen, and pray I will never see again, is the level that this scumbag merchant will stoop to in order to shore up his business. Frankly, he gives firearms trainers, and by extension everyone who owns a firearm or works in LE, a bad name.

I read the thread prior to reading the link, and at first I thought Sam's "pimp of death" comment was a little harsh, but having read everything, I dare say it doesn't go far enough! Sadly, the swear filter won't allow me to voice my true feelings about him other than to say what a complete ***** he is. He honestly makes a small part of me ashamed to be a LE instructor, but his comments make me want to redouble my efforts to improve my training and subject matter and help pass on to other officers the very best I can offer. And I don't do it even for "pennys-on-the-dollar," I do it for straight time.

Screw this vulture and anyone who would seek his "training" after reading that post!

16. Officer X

Officer X

I've seen the video about 6-7 times and I hate it.

Just got back from the Street Survival Seminar in Atlantic City. They open with this video on the first day and explain it. The instructors explained how they made contact with the agency, the GBI and other officers at the county training academy to find out what happened.

This is what we were told:

Dinkeller was a young deputy (22 years old I believe) and with only 2 years otj, he was on a drug interdiction team. He had just recently been verbally reprimanded for having too many citizen complaints and was told that if he got any more, he would be off the team.

That could make a guy hesitate.

Suspect takes control of the stop and during the struggle you can hear him yell at Dinkeller "I'm a Vietnam combat veteran!". Then he goes to the back of the truck and begins loading his M1 carbine. He should have been lit up right then and there.

Dinkeller calls the suspect "sir" more than 30 times during the encounter and at least one time after he is shot. As he tells him multiple times to drop the gun you can even hear him say "I'm in fear for my life" so he gets that on tape.

I believe Dinkeller was shot 11 times and the suspect was hit once in the stomach. After being arrested the suspect asked if the deputy was wearing body armor because he purposely flanked him and was shooting him in the arms and legs to put him down. He finished it with a shot to the left eye as he was laying on the pavement.

They play the entire video including two female motorists who pull up onto the scene right after it happens and another deputy who was Dinkeller's good friend who pulls up. It is crushing to hear that part.

Apparantly after this incident, 8 deputies from that agency quit and left Law Enforcement all together.

That is a very hard video to watch but hopefully it may help save an officer's life.

17. Officer X

Officer X

Sorry, didn't see this before I typed out the other.

It was a dog that was in the truck with him.

18. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Thanks for the back story and what was on the rest of the tape... I didn't know about how he finished off the deputy or that 8 guys quit after this... (edited... to prevent bannage)

19. MeefZah

MeefZah Cover is Code 3

The three videos that tear me up are Dinkeller, Coates, and Lunsford.

Rough stuff. Shows how fast it can all go to ****.

20. Kadetklapp

Kadetklapp Methberry PD

Screw that capitalist idiot. What utter bull**** that he would try and profit off this officers death. Kyle made many mistakes that day, but we are far from knowing all that went down and the circumstances surrounding what went down from Kyle's view. What a despicable piece of garbage to try and use him to make money. In fact, I think I may send a little note to tell him that.