Storing Other People's Stuff

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by FullClip, Jun 12, 2020.

1. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

I cleaned and waxed my older sister's and brother-in-laws kayaks today...for the 5th or 6th time. They used to migrate to Florida every winter, but have stopped since they sold their boat. (trawler yacht). So they brought their silly little kayaks to my place and I get stuck moving them around and storing them. Like watching "Weebles" that do flip over as they have Old Town Otters and would each dress out over 250 pounds.
    Couple years ago one of my buddies dropped off his tow behind Lincoln welder as he was going to Canada and it is a real PITA to drag that stuff through Customs. He let it sit here for over a year and then called me up while I was in town. I had kind of buried the path to the unit with the snow plow...no advance warning and he was bummed he couldn't just back up to it and drive away.

Doing my best to make sure nobody has an excuse to "drop in"to get their junk, and before the snow flies again, it will all be gone.

Anybody else stoopid enough to let somebody leave stuff at your place??

Johnix, TGT, rangerhgm and 5 others like this.
  2. E-2-E

E-2-E Long Trail

Never, ever, and when I give something away to someone, either take it then or it goes to trash. It never fails, the response is “ can you hold it for awhile, I’ll get it later”, sorry, now or never.

TGT, flyover, slym2none and 1 other person like this.

3. Ordell Robbie

Ordell Robbie Giant Member

You need to build yourself an outbuilding and start renting space by the square foot.

4. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Nope...when you charge for storing it, if anything happens, even sun fade of paint, it is all your fault. I got enough junk of my own to move around and deal with. I don't want other people's stuff around.

Ordell Robbie, Sfaql, Johnix and 2 others like this.
  5. pugman

pugman

It depends on what it is, how good the friend is and how good they are at keepng their mouth shut.

My FIL dumped his 12' ladder here a few years ago. I have a nice 6 and 10 and have no real use for a 12. I would sell it tomorrow if he died.

I have stored presents for friend's spouses for as long as a year.

We have a big 3+ car garage. Its amazing....friends have asked to store snowmoblies or motorcycles here-when I point out I now need to walk around the crap for 6 months and ask for some form of rent suddenly I'm an ahole. I don't think $50 is unreasonable.

I've learned to always now say no

TGT and -JCN- like this.
  6. Glockresistor

Glockresistor

Never ever, my father in law who is a doctor and can afford what ever he wants, tried to get me to store His piece of **** converted utility trailer because it doesn't belong in what he thinks is a upscale neighborhood. I live in a much nicer house then he does with some property and I don't want his junk in my yard. like my dad who retired from the railroad said " I wouldn't have that up my ass if I had room for a boxcar" :)

Redeemed and Dynactus like this.
  7. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

There's a reason some people make a living doing this; it's expensive and a lot of work.

8. ottomatic

ottomatic

It depends if it is something I can use and then have permission to do so.
    So if I did not have a kayak (I do), I might let someone keep theirs at my place, if I have the room, as long as I am permitted to use it.

9. Oldschooltube

Oldschooltube Flux Capacitor Technician

Boy do I have a story about that.

Things went South between my ex-wife and her boyfriend leaving her basically homeless. She asked if she could stay for awhile and put her stuff in the garage until she finds a place. Trying to be nice I agreed she could stay in the spare room etc.

She found a place or whatever and went to live there. She left her stuff in the garage which I didn’t care about. Anyway one night I was out with my girlfriend (who is now my wife of 13 years) when the ex calls demanding to come get her stuff. Calmly I told her no I was not home and she could come by in the morning. She again demanded I get her stuff and I told her to be there at 8am and hung up.

So 0800 came and nobody there soooo.

I decided to help out by placing all the stuff outside the overhead door next to the alley. Well after about 10 minutes here come all kinds of people asking if I’m throwing away or selling the stuff. I did not sell or give anything away mind you, when asked all I said was “It’s not my stuff”.

People are taking all kinds of stuff away when she shows up. It turned into a real **** show from there and I just stood back and watched grinning.

After she chased away the people looking for free stuff only about half her crap was left! She freaked out and I stayed totally calm and said I did not understand why she was mad because I helped her by moving all the stuff to the alley for easy loading.

10. Gauss Rifle

Gauss Rifle

I'm currently holding a friend's X-Box 360 and a bunch of games. I can't remember why he left them with me but it might have something to do with repeated moves and his recent divorce.

I'm also holding on to my mom's belongings. Unfortunately, she's not coming back for them...

Ever... :crying:

-JCN- likes this.
  11. light-switch

light-switch Back to work...

Wife's brother got kicked out of his rental and asked to store several nature cut wood planks, and a safe in our basement.

It's been eight years now, and that stuff is still there. The safe is super heavy, and it will be a major pain to get it out of there (my back hurts just thinking about it). There's nothing in it.

This week is our town's Big Trash Week: they have dumpsters at the fire station, and residents can throw junk in them, with very few exceptions, like fridges due to freon, tires, and concrete/cement pieces. I told my wife I was going to toss his stuff, and got a dirty look back.

He lives in Colorado now, for over a year, after living in the next town over for several before he moved there.

He lived with my wife's older sister after getting evicted, until he moved to CO. I was helping the sister in law build a raised garden bed, when her and my wife asked if I could help their brother sell his canoe, which has been sitting behind their garage for over four years (it's destroyed). I laughed, and said 'NO WAY'.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
    -JCN- and Ramjet38 like this.
  12. Glock17193643

Glock17193643

The BIL just moved out and a bunch of his stuff is still here.

light-switch and -JCN- like this.
  13. TGT

TGT

Yes. The all time classic "stuff" drop-offs are those surprise instances of members of the family dropping the kids off for you to babysit because of something "important" or "unexpected" that came up. That's a hard request for you to turn down with family or friends and will get repeated the more you offer to do it.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
    FullClip likes this.
  14. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

Weebles wobble, but they don't fall down.

-JCN- likes this.
  15. MaxB

MaxB

Not a chance. I already have more junk of my own than I need.

Sfaql likes this.
  16. Quijibo

Quijibo King Doofus.

I tell them up front if they don't pick up their shht in 6 months it's mine to do what I please with it.... I've made a few bux selling their crap.

FullClip likes this.
  17. pugman

pugman

Do you have the combination for the safe?

Two things with the safe. Leave it and include it with the house if you ever sell. Several houses we looked at before buying the one we are included large older guns safe. As I recall one had to be brought in before the house was finished.

Or there are a lot of companies who, if its free, will come and professionally remove it....

light-switch likes this.
  18. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

I don't store anybodys stuff at my house anymore especially if I have to move it around to get to my stuff

19. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

There might be a dead body in the safe. Ask me why I know.

20. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

I have too much stuff now