Storing medication and first aid supplies.

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by nikerret, Oct 24, 2019.

1. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

How is everyone storing medicine and first aid supplies? I finally decided to get most of my “just in case” medication out of my bathroom. I bought a tote and put it all in there, except for what I’m currently taking.

All in one big tote is a mess. I’ve thought about going to smaller totes in a bigger tote, but thought someone else might have a better solution.

Also, I’m still looking for a better way to store ammo and magazines.

2. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

That depends. Is this a grab, and go first aid kit? Or a bulk supplies?
    I like ziplock easy open bags. Sort basics in a small orange duffle. Extra stored in a tote. If SHTF hope is to grab both, toss in anything from bathroom, medicine (not kept in bathroom as humidity bad for pills) into tote...
    So I think your idea of bulk in tote, grab bag with basics in tote, ideally something with you daily.

3. screwman

screwman

I keep a sealed bottle of each of my essential meds in my bugout bag along with a first aid/trauma kit.
    Hopefully 30 days worth will work.

4. Blanton

Blanton

If you were to do a search of 'storing meds' and 'storing first aid supplies' you would find pages of threads on this subject.

5. bdcochran

bdcochran

It is a coincidence.

Today, I went into the small refrigerator in the garage. The prescription and non-prescription medicines are kept there along with whatever comes along - like a cake for a party, etc.

Today, I did two things:
    1. I threw out every medication that had been prescribed for medical conditions a number of years ago and which have been resolved.
    2. I printed out one page of directions and explanations per medicine that I was keeping. Then, I won't have to guess in the future what the item was prescribed for - with the computer and power being off.

There are reams of information on expiration dates on medicines and how you can tell if they had gone bad. I am not a doctor, just giving impressions:
    a. if it smells or looks bad or has turned color, throw it out;
    b. if it is a pain medication, keep it - the worst that can probably happen is that it won't work!
    c. if the literature says that the medication absolutely/positively is toxic after a date certain (and I have never seen this), then toss it.

The important things are to keep first aid supplies and medicines away from heat and light.

6. Glock 17L

Glock 17L

I have almost $4800 of insulin in my refrigerator in two different types + 1000 syringes etc. + testing supplies etc. in another cabinet...
    I've had diabetes for 41 years

nikerret likes this.
  7. Aceman

Aceman

Learning about the half-life / efficacy of drugs is key for long term storage. It's hard stuff to really find out about. Know your pharmacist! Most drugs easily outlive the expire dates by 2x. They are given short shelf lives to a) Avoid liability and b) Keep the stock moving.

My general rule: the basics:
    Aspirin
    Ibuprofen
    Imodium
    Beneadryl
    etc...

Have a single med of choice for the basics, keep one bottle of each out for a year/two at max, rotate your go stuff in. Keep extra purchased at yearly intervals.

Individual baggies, cool/dry/dark, date with a sharpie.

nikerret likes this.
  8. fasteddie565

fasteddie565 Combat Diver

Freezing OTC and other pill form meds can help prolong their useful life

nikerret likes this.
  9. Glock 17L

Glock 17L

Many drugs are ruined by freezing or getting hot..
    This goes for opioids & injectables like insulin..

Paul53 likes this.
  10. Blanton

Blanton

Absolutely correct. Based on the science and evidence, 2 words for med storage; cool and dry. Low heat and humidity area, especially one away from light. Many medications will last for decades if stored properly. There are a few exceptions such as Tetracycline, and of course some require refrigeration and must be used relatively quickly.

11. Paul53

Paul53 MAKE HATE WRONG AGAIN!

By useful life, you mean chemistry experiment?

Blanton likes this.
  12. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

I take one heart related medication. I could live without it as my condition is not life threatening but it would be troublesome. I always have plenty on hand and I refill my prescription as soon as I am allowed. As far as the end of the world or something, I do not prep for such things. I prep for a very limited disruption of services lasting weeks, not months or years. I have 7 days of meds in my go bag and the rest I keep at home in the cupboard. That's it.

As far as mags and ammo go.. I am of the mind that if I cant carry it on my person, its probably not going to be much good it me in a real crisis. I keep my range rig loaded(mags) in the closet and covered with a garment bag. I usually keep enough ammo for my next range session. I probably have 2 extra mags to my CCW pistol in the trunk. Again, I prep for limited and rather short lived crisis.. not TEOTWAWKI.

As far as how I store ammo? I just put them in a GI ammo can and close the lid. I don't much worry about them. I have stored ammo in a pole barn for decades and have never had any trouble. Its certainly not heated or cooled but the ammo is fine.

13. Blanton

Blanton

:laughabove::laughabove: Yep, an experiment on how a med can fail when you need it the most!

14. Paul53

Paul53 MAKE HATE WRONG AGAIN!

I was taught that the expiration date is calculated by when the drug has lost 50% of it's potency, if stored correctly.

15. fasteddie565

fasteddie565 Combat Diver

No, it delays their expiration. No way to gauge by how much. This is for pills etc not things like cough syrup or liquid meds.

16. ROGER4314

ROGER4314 Friends Call Me "Flash"

When the meanies come to MY house, I have a large container filled with wound preparations and trauma supplies. It's in my living room where I won't have to search for it. All of my supplies are for first aid ………. just to buy some time.

Flash