Storing kerosene for lanterns

Discussion in 'GATE Survival & Preparedness' started by Rusty Gun, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Rusty Gun

Rusty Gun Brass picker

can anyone offer advise on the proper way to store kerosene? I have several kerosene lamps and want to put fuel for them into my long term plans.

What kind of fuel is best for storage? I have heard of something called kleen fuel or something similar. Any experience with this brand? Do you recommend adding a stabilizer of some sort? If I can find/add the proper stabilizer what is the expected shelf life? Should it be replaced every few years or will it last for 15-20 years.

2. G29guy06

G29guy06

The short answer is it will be fine if stored in an appropriate container w/ the lid properly attached.

If the container is not clean or airtight then some sediments may develop which overall just results in some decrease in efficiency and could clog stoves/ motors if used for that. I would keep w/ the Kero some fuel funnels that have screens (found in walmart camping section). You can pour the fuel through that and filter out any sediments/ particles that may develop. I have camp stove fuel that's been stored for 10-15yrs, I just use that filter when I fill up. No issues.

motorcycleman likes this.

3. Rusty Gun

Rusty Gun Brass picker

Okay thanks for the response. I will make appropriate changes and put a few gallons away for a darker day.