Glock Talk banner

Storing in slide locked position

15827 Views 9 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  3007
Is it OK to keep a Glock in the "locked open" (i.e., slide lock engaged) position? Any opinions on how long before this would cause a problem? Is it even a problem?

This is how I have it while transporting to the range and back -- absolute quick visual proof that the gun is unloaded/clear.

This is also the position the gun is in when a lock is installed (does anybody actually use the Glock-provided lock?).

So...this would seem to be a non-problem, but...I haven't seen any discussion about this...and I was just wondering.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
837 Posts
Yes you can store any semi-auto with the slide locked back. Armorer's in the USAF and I'm sure other branches store their pistols with the slide locked to the rear. Remember that springs wear out due to cycles of compression and decompression. So to answer your question no, it is not a problem.

· Registered
204 Posts
Yes you can store any semi-auto with the slide locked back. Armorer's in the USAF and I'm sure other branches store their pistols with the slide locked to the rear. Remember that springs wear out due to cycles of compression and decompression. So to answer your question no, it is not a problem.

Better Question: Why would one do this? the USAF's cold range training protocol is likely responsible for more wartime aircraft perforations than hostile fire...

· Registered
837 Posts
Better Question: Why would one do this? the USAF's cold range training protocol is likely responsible for more wartime aircraft perforations than hostile fire...
Please elaborate. :popcorn:

· Registered
2,316 Posts
Whazoo..."Better Question: Why would one do this?"
:agree:

This is fine for around the range but if I'm misunderstanding you, my apologies, but to "store" a gun in that position???

No.

· Registered
4,538 Posts
Even if you use a cable lock ( only time I do is when I go to gssf match in jersey) I put it through the mag well and out the ejection port not through the bore. I then ease toe slide down so it is not locked back.
I have been in a lot of military armories and have never seen guns stored locked open.
I don't have any proof it would hurt anything but seems like not a good idea.
While a bit apples to oranges comparison the old manuals the army marksmanship training unit put out directed you to store match guns at spring rest ( bolts and slides closed and triggers pulled) I have never done it any other way

· Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Just an (tad OT) additional factoid...

The sticker on the GlockWare box in which the G19 came advises to unload (store?) the gun (after mag-dropping and clearing...) with the slide forward -- and the trigger in the "full pulled position"... Interesting...is the "pulled trigger" configuration SOP for storage?

I realize I may be "polishing a turd" here...but it's a boring rainy day...forgive me.:yawn:

· Registered
1,044 Posts
I have been in a lot of military armories and have never seen guns stored locked open.
Same here... both in USAF armories and Army armories. The weapon is cleared, then handed to the armorer who visually ensures it is clear, then closes the slide, decocks/dryfires, then places on the rack.

I NEVER store with springs compressed. Slides are forward and dryfired. Bugt as said before, I don't know if it will damage anything... but WHY?

· Previously Will Beararms
6,653 Posts
I store Glocks in the long term with the slide forward and the trigger pulled.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.