Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the northeast.Cold in the winter and can be hot and muggy in the summer.Can I store my ammo and or my glock in an unheated Garage?

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Should you store ammo and your firearm in the garage? I personally wouldn't, but suit yourself.

I would suggest that wherever you store your ammo, you get M1 ammo cans, make sure the gaskets are GTG, and place dessicant packs in with your ammo. I prefer the ones with color indicators that show if the pack has absorbed all the moisture it can. Generally speaking if this is ammo you're intending to store for the long haul, "store it in conditions that would be comfortable for you" is the principle I've lived by since I was old enough to have guns and ammo and I've had stuff I've stored for well over 30 years that's fine. Never had any ammo go bad in storage over here.

As far as the Glock is concerned, the environmental conditions you're describing don't sound bad (edit - I would write something different if you wrote that you were storing a blued six-gun that way), but how safe is your garage against theft? I wouldn't feel comfortable storing any gun where its likely to walk away. Come to think of it, the same principle can be applied to ammo too.

Good luck,
Grumpy

·
real dogs
2,493 Posts
Storing most steel alloys in an unheated garage can result in small amounts of condensation spotting on the metal anf giving you sneaky little pits of rust. Good and thoro wipe down with corrosion inhibitors will minimize this potential. This combined with storage wrapped in a heavy case will limit and reduce air intrusion and contact with the metal . This will certainly reduce potential for corrosion. Better still to store in climate controlled indoors, in an appropriate safe.
Ammunition store in airtight containers with moisture control will fair much better. Any storage in the garage environ that limits ambient air contact and helps prevent rapid temperature swings will avoid corrosion and temper rate of deterioration.
I occasionally find a round or two that have hidden under the seats in the truck and have been there for a year or two. Most will be tarnished and rarely show some corrosion. Tear down shows no deterioration and they have fired without any issues.
Still better to store in a controlled cool dry environment.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Should you store ammo and your firearm in the garage? I personally wouldn't, but suit yourself.

I would suggest that wherever you store your ammo, you get M1 ammo cans, make sure the gaskets are GTG, and place dessicant packs in with your ammo. I prefer the ones with color indicators that show if the pack has absorbed all the moisture it can. Generally speaking if this is ammo you're intending to store for the long haul, "store it in conditions that would be comfortable for you" is the principle I've lived by since I was old enough to have guns and ammo and I've had stuff I've stored for well over 30 years that's fine. Never had any ammo go bad in storage over here.

As far as the Glock is concerned, the environmental conditions you're describing don't sound bad, but how safe is your garage against theft? I wouldn't feel comfortable storing any gun where its likely to walk away. Come to think of it, the same principle can be applied to ammo too.

Good luck,
Grumpy
Thanks Grumpy

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Storing for how long? For modest periods, no issue, longer term, could be an issue. A gun needs attention(cleaning, wipedown) periodically, more so in harsher conditions.

Long term storage, R.I.G, grease & a storage bag. If using routinely, an occasional wipedown. As usual, rotate/use ammo.

Is there a reason to store in the garage? It can be less secure too.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I don't seem to have that problem. Seems like whenever I get new ammo it empties itself really fast. Looks like this when I store it. Polished, cleaned, and waiting for a refill.
IMG_2213.jpg

·
Quick! Duck!
3,498 Posts
I store ammo inside in airtight GI ammo cans with a pack of desiccant inside. I'd NEVER store a firearm in the garage.

·
Registered
11,112 Posts
I live in the northeast.Cold in the winter and can be hot and muggy in the summer.Can I store my ammo and or my glock in an unheated Garage?
A cool, dry place is best for storage of anything metal. Get some good ammo cans and throw a pack or two of desiccant in. It's not the heat but the humidity that's corrosive.

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
Keep it somewhere warmer, rather than colder, and keep the temp consistent. Changes in temp are what cause condensation, which in turn causes damage over time...

·
Millenium #3936
6,435 Posts
I wont say that my practices are the best or that they are recommended. I will tell you that I have stored ammo in rather unpleasant conditions for decades without any ill effects. I will elaborate

Ammo stored in a detached garage which is not heated or cooled ( no problems)

Ammo stored in a pole barn which is mostly open to the elements ( no problems)

Forgotten ammo stored in a truck box which is mounted beneath the truck bed ( no problems)

I keep my ammo in USGI ammo cans with one pack of desiccant.

I live in the very muggy and hot South East

·
Registered
36,205 Posts
If you have a poor area for storage that temp swings wildly & worse moisture, store your ammo in an old ice chest, lid closed, desiccant pack inside. Or if you are a bit handy, put in a cabinet on the garage wall. You can insulate it with styrafoam on the inside, desiccant pack, good to go. Ammo cans are fine too, though don't do a lot for temp swings.

·
Registered
36,205 Posts
Keep it somewhere warmer, rather than colder, and keep the temp consistent. Changes in temp are what cause condensation, which in turn causes damage over time...
Cool & dry is better than hot & humid.

·
Mr. Awesome
11,244 Posts
I store my ammunition in plastic totes and safes with desiccant. Carry Ammo generally gets switched out, every year, or two. I’ve had some ammo that has been in my patrol vehicle for several years. Temperature swings from below zero to well over 100*F, at times rapidly to my comfort level, from one of the extremes. The cartridges get bounced around in gravel, through pastures, heavy stops, median turnarounds, etc.

I plan to compare some older ammo and some newer stuff, To new, not carried stuff. We pulled a couple of bullets several years ago and were surprised how much the powder has been ground down to dust, instead of its original shape.

·
Registered
36,205 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
i live here in New England as well.

i have several clear Sterilte containers, that i have my ammo in, and some desiccant bags. these are in my cellar where the temps are slightly warm when the boilers are on, (otherwise, cool) and always cool and dry during the most humid of all summer days.

every time you open up your garage door, you introduce that muggy air into that area.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Humidity and temperature control are your friend. GI Ammo cans for everything else.

Reactions: buddyd157
1 - 18 of 18 Posts