close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Storing Ammo for my Glock 19.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by VA_Glocker, Apr 17, 2012.

Tags:
  1. VA_Glocker

VA_Glocker

Hi,

I have hundreds and hundreds of 9mm rounds in their original cardpaper package boxes in the original Walmart's plastic bags. :supergrin:

The question - how to store this ammo so it lasts 'forever' as some say ammo does.??

Don't want to spend more money on costly water-tight containers etc.

Thanks.
    :wavey:.

2. wheels41

wheels41

In a cool DRY place in original boxes should be fine. I still prefer to keep in ammo cans as an extra precaution. Good luck.

3. ChicagoZman

ChicagoZman

Ammo can with silica gel packs and put in a cool place in the house.

4. G8RDave

G8RDave

My local Army Navy Surplus store has old water tight ammo cans for $12. Grab a couple of those and throw some silica gel packs in and you'll be fine for a VERY long time.

If the $12 cans are out of your budget, find some tupperware and use it instead.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  5. Alchemy1

Alchemy1

I use a Pelican 1620 case with 2 silica packs . I know this is overkill for most people, but I have a decent amount of ammo (3-4K rounds) and I like to be able to move all of it fairly easily. BTW, because I know I will get overkill posts, my case is full and I have 1.5K rounds under the bed in my guest bedroom.

6. VA_Glocker

VA_Glocker

Good ideas, folks.!! I will try doing it. Also, how long can ammo last if stored properly, does gun powder have a 'shelf life'.?

7. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

So you're that guy!

My Walmart was always out of 9MM!:steamed:

j/k I probably have more than you.:tongueout:

I use the original boxes for most long term storage; I've tried ammo cans, ice chests, etc but see no advantage to unboxed loose ammo, except when loading up for a weekend of shooting.

8. VA_Glocker

VA_Glocker

...and you are that other guy, the Walmart folks tell me about when I goto buy too. :wavey:

Ice chest.... now, why didn't I think of it before.

9. ap430

ap430

a long time!!! just to give you an idea... When I was in Iraq, most of our 50 cal ammo was dated back to the 40s or so. It functioned fine... as long as you store it correctly it shouldn't go "bad". Also the Military is not known for storing things under the ideal conditions either.

10. larson1122

larson1122

11. tgmr05

tgmr05

While you said you do not want to spend money on containers, 10-12 dollars for used ammo cans is nothing. Basically the cost of one box of 9mm. You then get a lifetime of storage. Small price to pay. You can fit over a thousand rounds in a typical can, still in their original 9mm boxes. I have a couple with over 2000 rounds, but it is sellior & bellot sp? or whatever 9mm which comes in smaller boxes. I think I get a 1000 of the larger 9mm ammo boxes, and 1200 to 1300 or so in pmc bronze sized boxes

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

12. concretefuzzynuts

concretefuzzynuts Brew Crew

See update.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  13. Itchy Finger

Itchy Finger Junior G Man

Oil on rubber?? :dunno: Perhaps vasaline might be better. It won't break down the rubber.

14. Itchy Finger

Itchy Finger Junior G Man

OMG!! If that stuff blows your guest will be blown straight to heaven, high and dry and wonderin' why.

Really guys, the very best place is at MY house. I am a very good ammo sitter. I have activities already planned. The first thing we will do is visit a range. First my own private one where I can go any ol' time. Then there are several "pay" ones. There will be no worries. Your ammo will be in good hands, er, a, magazines, er, a...well you know what I mean.... :whistling:

15. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy Silver Member

I like the newer plastic stay dry boxes with lid gasket. They look like the older military ammo cans.

I reload so I don't have OEM boxes so I keep mine in plastic food storage boxes with snap on lids or heavy duty plastic bags. :supergrin:

16. concretefuzzynuts

concretefuzzynuts Brew Crew

Thanks. At first I wrote vegetable oil but I wasn't sure if I should promote that (it's what I use). I agree with you.

17. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

:upeyes: Why do I have to be the one to tell you? All WalMart pistol ammo is crappy, 'range quality only' ammunition. The primers and the casemouths aren't sealed; the crimps aren't particularly tight, and the powder charges are very light. (Ready?) Trust me on this: You don't want to be, either, storing crappy WalMart pistol ammo for prolonged periods of time, or fighting for your life with it.

Sorry! 'Don't kill the messenger'. :)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012