close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Storing a glock locked back

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by MetalSlugIV, Feb 7, 2010.

1. MetalSlugIV

MetalSlugIV

Since I don't have a gun safe yet I've been storing my glock with the slide locked back with the lock run through it. Will this hurt the gun? Is it better to store it with the slide forward?

2. Brucev

Brucev

If you want to store the pistol with the cable lock installed, you might let the slide go forward so as to relieve some of the compression on the recoil spring. Normally a pistol is not stored with the slide retracted but in battery. HTH. Sincerely. Brucev.

3. jaybirdjtt

jaybirdjtt

You must have kids in the house. This type of safe is popular and affordable.
    http://www.vlineind.com/html/top_draw.html
    You can buy an accessory plate that allows you to secure the safe to something permanent. I used this system when the kids were in the house. You can keep your protection loaded and accessible. Someone who does not know the procedure to open the safe is totally frustrated but when you know how, you can get to your firearm in seconds, even if you are half asleep.

If you still want to store your semiauto with the cable lock, I would do it with the slide released.

4. Snak3

Snak3

X's 2 with the slide forward with a cable running through it.

5. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

An easy solution is to take off the slide and then put the lock through it so that the slide can't be put back on. Or you can just take the recoil spring out, and then put the slide back on, push it back and put the lock in - I've done it both ways. No compression on your recoil spring either way.

6. curator

curator

Alternatively, field-strip and run the cable through the magwell and then the ejection port.

Edit - Brian - You beat me by a minute.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  7. time_xx

time_xx NRA life member

Clearly states in the manual to lock slide back with cable inserted through the magwell and out ejection port. Page 43.

8. firedawg60

firedawg60

Would a trigger lock work for your situation?

9. KilgoreTrout

KilgoreTrout Impossiblist

i promptly throw away all cable locks upon getting out of the gun store.

10. MetalSlugIV

MetalSlugIV

No children, just in-laws I don't trust at all.

11. cciman

cciman

The only thing it can "potentially" cause is the recoil spring "weakening" over time. To minimize this with what you are doing, just close the slide home and let it rest against the cable,

But this does the opposite effect on your striker spring....hmm.

Just replace the affected spring every 5 years and not worry.

12. maynardwix

maynardwix Notre Dame Fan!

You could leave the slide forward and run the cable lock through the trigger guard (behind the trigger). It would be like an improvised trigger guard, the gun coud still be loaded, but the trigger would not be able to be pulled back to allow the gun to fire.

13. RBL525

RBL525

Leaving the spring in a static state, whether it is compressed or expanded will not have affect the spring tension. Only frequent expansion and contraction....But as Glocks are designed for many rounds, the spring should be fine either way even if you fire say 1000's of rounds through it.....

14. Big Sam

Big Sam

3 years ago my G30 got the "locked back" test for 7 weeks. I had a nasty motorycle accident and was laying on the side of the road with the bone sticking out of my leg. The Pennsylvania State Trooper was kind enough to take my gun and store in in their evidence locker (Glad he did because the hospital lost my wallet). 7 weeks later I got the gun back. They had unloaded it and locked it back. There was no noticeable change in the spring strengh either by hand or in shooting the gun. I still do not make a practice of locking the gun back all the time but 7 weeks did not seem to make a difference.

15. cciman

cciman

That's common wisdom that keeps showing up, but is that proven physics with metallic spring behavior? Does it not depend on the spring material and memory? Remind me.

I've shortened many a pen spring by just mashing them once.

16. 2bgop

2bgop

People I do not trust do not enter my home. Family or not.

17. MetalSlugIV

MetalSlugIV

It's not my home. I'm renting a little side add on from the mother in law. It's technically the same house and the washer and drier are on this side of the house. Once we save up enough money we are out of here but, until then the rent is cheap.

18. BIG BILL

BIG BILL

Yet another spring question. As with mag springs, a spring is a spring and what weakens it is cycling over time and not by being held in a compressed state.

19. j-glock22

j-glock22

I will not lock a Glock on itself. If need be I lock it in a box in a specific place not easy reach of my children. It uses a key only. My daughter can easily mess around with a keypad lock and may accidently stumble on the correct combi. But in my case, she knows not to touch the box. To me, that is a much safer situation that will still give me fast access to that weapon if I need it versus funmbling with a slide cable lock... makes me shudder thinking about that senerio. An alternative for you may be a Safe-T Blok http://www.glockworld.com/content.aspx?ckey=gwo_edit
    I may give this a try for studying sake.

20. jahr

jahr

Leave your Glock in the forward position. Lock your ammo in a safe. No ammo, no accidents.