close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Stores Predicted to Close

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by The Fed, Feb 2, 2013.

1. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Even the most efficient local government requires income. HH

2. jame

jame I don't even know....what I'm doing here....

It may soon come to pass that taxes are collected online, and passed on to the communities. I believe there are a few states with this in place already. I really can't argue for not doing it.

3. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

In WA we have to pay sales tax on guns bought out of state and so does CA. For other goods I would say most people if they buy a camera for $99 and have to pay about $10 in tax vs $10 in shipping and insurance then they'd buy locally. If they bought an item in state and paid $1000 then $100 in tax but was $975 online plus $25 flat shipping then they'd buy online.

:50cal:

4. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Interresting idea.....

How about buying local when you can? I must admit there are some local businesses I don't patronize. I might piss on building if it was on fire. Amazing thing is both places are next to each other. (third half mile away) Ripped me off. Which has cost them thousands a yr. :)
    Sadly that entire town suffers. (I have no reason to go there, I drive 16 miles more)

5. Detectorist

Detectorist

I, personally, buy local when I can.

Shrinking the government is a nice idea. What services should we start cutting first?

The fact is that 97% of us do not even pay our own way regarding taxes.

6. 2bgop

2bgop

You are free to do that. In MO, the DOR can even give you the form you need to send in with your tax money.

7. costanza187

costanza187 I like Macs

Looking at that list, yea I can agree that it wouldn't surprise me to see pretty much any of them go away. Maybe the exception of Best Buy, seems like at least locally they are a pretty popular place.

I have the Amazon Prime thing and yea, for a lot of stuff like video games, I have looked at GameStop, then whipped out my phone and ordered the same thing off Amazon even cheaper. A lot of their used video games and stuff can be found remarkably cheap.

I am honestly surprised that Sears/Kmart is still in business. JCP, that little stunt they pulled before cost them a lot of customers. I hear they have re-thought that stance, but that is still going to be pretty damaging.

8. droidfire

droidfire

Like the poster above, amazon prime member.

It's extremely rare for any other business to compete with an item I want that is included in prime.

Until the .gov stops using us smokers as a way to fix budget shortfalls, local business has to beat prime first.

99.99999999% of the time amazon wins.

Food is the only exception to the rule - america is becoming a service country.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  9. The Fed

The Fed

I buy from Ace Hardware when they have what I need. Costs more, but without them I would need to drive a lot farther.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  10. jame

jame I don't even know....what I'm doing here....

I'm an Amazon Prime member as well, and I'll say that I really do like it.

However, there are a ton of things I do at work, on the farm, or at home, that I need something absolutely right now. It's nice being able to run to town to pick up what ever it takes to get me through.

11. railfancwb

railfancwb

I would miss Barnes & Noble - I love to browse bookstores. I would miss Radio Shack for its odds and ends parts...probably miss it more than B&N in fact.

The others on the list I wouldn't really miss. Office Max, Office Depot, Staples - any one of the three could provide what little I might need in office supplies...as could Walmart and Amazon.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

12. Spiffums

Spiffums I.C.P.

I usually go twice a year because I need some small DIY electronic whiz bang I can't get at Wallyworld.

13. Durden

Durden

Radio Shack, Michael's, Sears/Kmart, Macy's, Sports Authority, JC Penny's, Jiffy Lube, Barnes & Noble, Branigan's Restaurant, Logan's Roadhouse, Autozone, Pier One Imports, Joe's Crab Shack, Del Taco, Dillard's, Dick's Sporting Goods, Rite Aid (ghetto city)....I could go on and on...

....I don't know how any of these places have survived this long.

Most of them are ghost towns, with crappy service, products/food, overpriced everything, clueless employees, and many of them look run down, too.

There are so many brick & mortar stores that living on borrowed time that it's scary.

14. railfancwb

railfancwb

Yes, lots of ghost malls and shopping centers. Many killed by changing neighborhood/regional demographics. Middle class flight takes place and middle class stores follow.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

15. Flying-Dutchman

Flying-Dutchman

Amazon lost money in 2012; first time in many years although Amazon has always been a lousy performer with a 505 price per earnings ratio when the S&P average is around 17.

There is no guarantee Amazon will stay in business. The news media loves Amazon though. Hates oil companies, loves Amazon.

The media worships Amazon founder Bezos, the guy with the goofy stare who looks like a turtle that crawled out of his shell. He’s not so good at making money though so far…

Once all the local stores you complain about close down, watch prices go way up and service go way down at Amazon.

16. AtlantaR6

AtlantaR6

To those saying it's a pain to return online purchases.... With Amazon you simply pull up the item and click "return". It prints out a shipping label on your printer, and you can either call UPS for pickup or drop it off at a local Shipping store.

Easier than driving to the store and waiting in line.

17. jknight8907

jknight8907

Yep, and no worrying about keeping up with a paper receipt...it's all stored online.

18. Southwind

Southwind

Amazon lost money in the 3rd quarter of 2012, not for the year as a whole.

Meanwhile, Forbes lists Jeff Bezos' net worth at 18.4 billion dollars - not bad for a guy who is "not so good at making money though so far…"

19. Flying-Dutchman

Flying-Dutchman

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/29/amazon-q4-2012-earnings_n_2576293.html

http://ycharts.com/companies/AMZN/profit_margin

“For all of 2012, the company booked a net loss of $39 million, or 9 cents per share, down from a profit of $631 million, or $1.37 per share.”

Amazon’s total profits since inception are $5.1 Billion. Bezos’ net worth of $23 Billion is from his stock holdings created from a bubble not from profits.

http://ycharts.com/companies/AMZN/pe_ratio

If you want to invest in a company currently with a 3,633 p/e ratio because it is a media darling, go for it.

Problem is Newegg.com or some other online company may trounce it one day.

20. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

And Us 3%ers are getting a bit pissed.

(I'd love to see a cite on that one.)