Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· They Just Work!
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I let my stored fuel, about 30 gallons, go a little longer that usual before replacing. Was just standard unleaded treated with the recommended amount of Stabil for 1 year of storage. I let it go for about 1 year and 9 months. I use it in my truck then just refill the containers. I added a few gallons at first and it worked fine then added the remainder. I didn't do a fuel mileage check but I didn't notice any ill effects. It's stored outdoors in a shed that is mostly protected from the direct sunlight/heat. I did add more Stabil this go round but not double. And I don't believe I will let it go as long, but it was good to know that it was still usable. Of course just FYI, and YMMV.

· Watcher.
41,318 Posts
Diesel and kero can be stored longer than gas.'08.

· local trouble maker
9,139 Posts
Diesel and kero can be stored longer than gas.'08.
I just got an old diesel truck running. It had been sitting unused for three years. Two new batteries and one quick shot of starting fluid was all it took. It had 3/4 tank of Diesel. At first I was going to drop the tank and drain it. but i got lazy and decided to see if it would run on the old diesel. Well it ran fine through that tank and now has fresh Diesel in it and is running great.

· Registered
2,043 Posts
This weekend I took a 5gal plastic gas can that had gas in it from Sept 2013 and used it in a rented brush hog mower. Worked flawlessly. I'm not sure I could say the same if I put that gas in my 2015 vehicle but it sure seems that small engines still work pretty well with old gas.

· Registered
15,930 Posts
I live in a part of the country which changes the formulations at least twice a year. My understanding, but not experience, is that monkeying around with the gasoline formulation has reduced the life expectancy to 3-6 months.

I rotate once a year - during December, early in the morning, and during football season. I try very hard to avoid the crowds and the smokers.

I also try to not use the stored gasoline exclusively in the car - and buy high octane for storage although the car is rated for low octane.

· They Just Work!
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm using plastic cans. Never occurred to me to consider evaporation. I don't believe it could have been much, I would guess no more than .5 gallon total out of the 30? Have any info?

· Registered
15,930 Posts
Yes, you are right. The plastic cans have a smell. At first, I thought it was myself doing something wrong. I store the containers in an enclosed area outdoors. Every year I thoroughly clean the storage area and clean each container as it is used and rotated. The evaporation is not very much.

By this point, all of the old metal cans rusted through. The plastic cans were a significant problem until I discovered the battery operated fuel pumps. When a person doesn't have to suspend 40 pounds of gasoline in the air to pour it into a car gas tank, it really doesn't rate a concern about how long it takes to pump it into the tank.

Some people have complained about the ventless plastic cans and the slow flow. They go off and drill holes and monkey around with stoppers. Save yourself the worry and get the small battery operated fuel pumps. If you keep them marked and separate, the "fuel pump" can be used as a water pump. My first one lasted a few years

· THIS IS IN ALL CAPS
7,035 Posts
Some people have complained about the ventless plastic cans and the slow flow. They go off and drill holes and monkey around with stoppers.
I did this on one of my kero cans. It works great. Don't listen to the guys in the video when it comes to drill bit selection. When you buy a valve stem, the packaging will tell you what size it is. It will be in a decimal, but it's easy enough to decipher.

· Registered
15,930 Posts
Ok. I became motivated to upgrade my plastic gas cans that don't have vents. The easiest was to go on eBay and buy a 31/64 drill bit and the yellow plastic vent units. Do not use a 1/2 inch drill bit as some of the people do. You want the vent device to snap into place. I made sure to empty the plastic particles out of the cans after drilling the holes.

I still recommend the battery operated siphoning device. I don't like hold 40 pounds of gasoline at waist height while emptying a gas can. Much easier to put it on the ground and let the battery siphon do its job.

· Registered
918 Posts
I let my stored fuel, about 30 gallons, go a little longer that usual before replacing. Was just standard unleaded treated with the recommended amount of Stabil for 1 year of storage. I let it go for about 1 year and 9 months. I use it in my truck then just refill the containers. I added a few gallons at first and it worked fine then added the remainder. I didn't do a fuel mileage check but I didn't notice any ill effects. It's stored outdoors in a shed that is mostly protected from the direct sunlight/heat. I did add more Stabil this go round but not double. And I don't believe I will let it go as long, but it was good to know that it was still usable. Of course just FYI, and YMMV.
What is the reason for storing 30 gallons of gas, oh let me guess inflation?

· Registered
15,930 Posts
No. I guess that you live in an urban apartment.

Fairly simple response would be as follows.

This is a survival thread. Many of the people own generators and chainsaws that run on a fuel mixture of gasoline. When the utilities like electricity are down for a home, they are also going to be down at the local filling station.

Here is an excerpt for a Consumer Reports article of 2014:
Gasoline. During a major storm, you might not be able to get on the road to fill up gas cans, and sometimes stations themselves lose power and can’t pump. So keep enough gas on hand to buy you some time, even if you can’t store the 12 to 20 gallons you’d need for 24 hours of straight running. So, 30 gallons doesn't go far, does it??

Do you have a chainsaw, a lawn mower or a generator? Probably not because you ask why 30 gallons.

I am urban and the most I can store is about 20-25 gallons. My car holds about 15 gallons. I once represented a refinery. There is 4x the storage spaces in cars and trucks in the Los Angeles basin than there is storage space in all the refineries and gasoline stations here. MOST PEOPLE DRIVE AROUND ON EMPTY. Do you? If yes, then you are normal. When an emergency comes up, the gasoline disappears and the politicians start quacking about conspiracies to withhold gasoline from the market.

The questioner also does not live in hurricane alley. Hurricane approaches. Everyone hits the highway out of town and bingo, the gasoline supply is exhausted.

· A Grouchy Old Half-Blind Fat Guy who limps .....
591 Posts
I try and keep the 63 gallons that I have storage for, I use it for ATV's & SHTF scenarios. I have three 72" jack-off pumps, I keep one in each ATV and one in the storage room under the cabin (where my fuel is stored). I rotate the 5-gallon plastic cans and refill whatever I use the 1st of each month (Eagle always ****s on the last day of the month). On average I will go through about 10 gallons a month, the exception being when my grandkids are here. They usually burn through about 10 gallons a week .... ;o) I generally don't bother with adding Fuel Stabilizers because of the turn over time, and have never had any issues with fuel degrading, other than when mixed for saws. Because of that I mix in 1/2 gallon quantities and dump whatever is left into my Jeep instead of storing it mixed..

I also keep four 20 lb propane tanks in storage, rotating them as well. Usual use is about 1 tank a year for the BBQ & 2 or 3 through the winter to heat my storage area to prevent pipe freezes. Haven't had to do that since December 2013. We also try and keep 7-8 cases of bottled water and 30 days of canned provisions on hand. BTW, we live in a small cabin at about 6,000 feet elevation in the Sequoia National Forest and are about 20 miles from good fuel & groceries. I have on occasion used some of my stored fuel in the Jeep, when SWMBO brings it home empty .... ;o)

Reactions: phil evans

· Registered
11,897 Posts
A second to BD. Heck, running the genny for 12 hours will eat two cans of fuel.

· Registered
16,881 Posts
30 gallons may sound like a lot, but it's not; we keep 150-200 gallons on hand, stored in steel drums (pumped electrically or manually ) Sta-Bil treated and that is rotated through the course of the year; it's there for the generators, vehicles, and various tools that are gas-powered and which may help out in times of emergency ; We once went through 2 major hurricanes in a 12 month period; on both occasions, we were without electical power for 2 to 3 weeks, and during that time there was no gasoline to be had anywhere in the area;

That stored fuel enabled us to maintain a level of comfort , safety, and mobility that otherwise would not have been possible, and was well worth the minor inconvenience of storing and rotating it.

· Millenium #3936
6,681 Posts
Ill let you learn from my own personal failure. I let my cockyness get the better of me when some really bad storms hit suddenly back in 2011. I found myself with a quarter tank of gas (something I never do) and near empty jerry cans in the shed. With no elec across several counties for more than 10 days, there were no functioning gas stations, NONE. Most were dried up in the first few hours and some that had gas could not pump. I finally set out down the highway with a quarter tank of gas and was determined to find a station. After passing 5 or 6 dead stations I found one working just across the state line. To my surprise there were men there being disorderly and about to duke it out over the remaining gas. Needless to say, its a good idea to have some fuel on hand and I now have 20 in one tank which is treated and another 10 in jerry cans. I will never go past half a tank in my truck again... i swear.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.