close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Store Sold Me Wrong Caliber - Need Advice

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Igor Unchained, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Igor Unchained

Igor Unchained

Hi Folks,

I went to buy a 9mm Walther PPS from a sporting goods store. I asked to see the 9mm PPS behind the glass to help make my decision. It so happened that the display gun had a scratch on it and I asked if they had any more. The saleman brought out two others and let me choose between them. I bought one of them. I went to the range today, a week after the purchase, and I noticed it was a 40. Basically, in my exciement at the gun store I did not think to check to make sure it was the right caliber. I even bought a couple of boxes of 9mm ammo along with it.

I have no desire to own a 40. My other handgun is a 9mm and I wanted another of the same size for convenience. I spoke with the manager of the store and he said the best he can do is have me bring it in and they would look at it and it sounds like they may swap it or at worst buy it back used.

Has this happened to anyone before? Obviously, I think they should do an exchange. The manager would not commit to it. I understand that I have responsinilty, but they are the one's that screwed up.

I dont know a thing about selling guns used, how much would I lose if that is all they will do? It cost 650 new. If they wont do the exchange can I just leave the gun on the counter, walk out, and dispute the charge on my credit card?

Curious what you folks would advise I do? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Keeping the 40 is not an option, so such a suggestion will fall on deaf ears.

2. RFPhoto

RFPhoto

Did they DROS it as a 9mm or a .40 ? If they DROS'd it as a 9mm then its on them to exchange it.

3. slewfoot

slewfoot Random Mayhem

If you sell it back to the store, you will take a financial beating even if the pistol is unfired.

Demand a 9mm version of the pistol as a direct exchange.

One thing you will learn from this episode is if the gun store deserves your repeat patronage.

4. ctfireman

ctfireman

If it's unfired they should take it back. What did they write on the reciept?

5. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

Also that one should pay attention to what one is buying.

6. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

Have your wife call the gunshop and tell them you went to the range to shoot your 9mm and it blew up in your face, you are at the hospital getting sewn up and one having eye put back in the socket.

Then have her ask if you can trade the wrong gun back for the one you asked for in the first place.

7. FEDLEO

FEDLEO I'm the rootenist tootenist shootenist

I started to post a smart***** comment about avoiding the stock market and that you picked the gun out of two shown to you. Also knowing what are buying. But looking and thinking about it I can see your side if you specifically asked for a 9mm. The best I can say is go meet with the manager and hope for the best but expect the worst. I would anticipate the manager saying but you picked it out.

I could be and hope for you I am wrong. There seems to be some hope that they want you to come back and let them see the weapon. I would make sure that the manager knew that you are going to post the outcome of it one way or the other on gun forums as a tesiment to how well their CS is.

Another option if things don't go well at the meeting is to call the owner or central office and talk with them. But to just sell it back as used will not turn out good for you. It will probably cost you a couple hundred $ if that is the only available option.

If he also is a ***** calls to the BBB and AGs office for possible fraud maybe in order if it was in fact presented as a 9mm. Regardless, good luck.

8. Igor Unchained

Igor Unchained

How can I find out what they DROSed it as? I bought this in Indiana and I think the only paperwork I have is the receipt. The receipt and box say PPS 40. I definitley should have caught this, I was just excited while I was in the store and not my normal detail-oriented self. The only thing in my favor is that I bought 9mm rounds with it.

How bad of a beating do you take on tradeins?

The manager said he would try to work with me on this. Obvioulsy a straight exchange would be ideal and I would be willing to take a $100 beating on a trade in. But if I would lose a couple of hundred on a tradein I think I would be willing to leave the gun on the counter and just dispute the charge on my credit card and let them hash it out with Visa.

9. joecoastie

joecoastie

delete

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  10. oceansands

oceansands

Dude it says .40s&w or 9x19 right on the breech. The bad is on you not the gun store. If your so excited you can't tell what gun your buying I can't imagine what you'll be like the day you have to use the gun to save your life. With that said if the store does a swap your lucky because as I said your bad not theirs!

11. Igor Unchained

Igor Unchained

I know what it says on the breech. I also know what I asked for in the store. A mistake was made and now I am trying to figure out the best way to deal with it.

12. neosocrates1

neosocrates1

That's a Bummer..

Though I do Believe, the Sales Clerk Should have Done a Better Job of Explaining EXACTLY what You were Looking at.. Caliber, Capacity, Company History, Merits, Shortcomings, ETC..

However, YOU Should Usually Look over a Firearm for Wear and Scratches.. Cosmetic Defects are Common, even on NEW Firearms. After All, it is Your New Weapon.

You Probably Would have Noticed the Big ".40" on the Side had You Looked it Over.

But, I Believe if You Work in A Gun Store.. You Should atleast Be Able to Explain a Little about What You are Showing a Customer.

That Includes Knowing the Caliber of the Firearm.

When You Sell a Firearm over the Counter, it is Your Responsibility (Meaning the Clerk) to Double, if Not Triple-Check Serial Numbers. On the Weapon, On the Box, and On the Receipt..

Had the Clerk Been Paying Attention, (S)He Should Have Noticed the Caliber. Especially if They Sold you 9x19 Ammunition, to Go with Your New .40SW Pistol. If I had Been Working Behind the Counter, I would have Noticed Your Ammo Choice, and Atleast Asked Curiously About it..

I Would, POLITELY, Speak to The Manager or Owner and See Where it Goes From There..

13. dac1204

dac1204

While I tend to agree with you on this I do have to say that he specifically asked for a 9mm and they brought him two guns. He picked the one that he liked and bought it. While I do find fault with the op they should replace it with a 9mm as thats what he asked for.

If you go to a food place and order coke but they bring you tea do you just sit there and drink it or ask for what you ordered.

OP: I think they should replace it but if they dont let it be a lesson to always watch what you are buying because other people wont. If they dont trade it even and you do take a beating on it it might be worth it to sell it outright as new (which it is) and atleast someone else gets it instead of the shop. Then take that money and bug from another place.

14. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

Face to face, and politely. If you told him what you just told us, he'd most likely take the hunded, and possibly NOT take it, or charge you 50$ for the hassle, or the sales tax, or some nominal fee. Whatever, if it's less or equal to what you see as fair, take the deal, say thank you.

Don't be nasty or picky, and have cash. Do your best deal and the chance is real good you'll walk out satisfied. Don't waste their time on the phone or with emails. Go in.

15. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

Dude, do you really capitalize everything but the prepositions all the time?

16. neosocrates1

neosocrates1

Ha, Yeah.. Bad Habit I Guess. :wow:

To OP..

Hope it Works Out for You, Let us Know how The Gun Shop Treats You..

And How it Works out in The End.

17. mdhandyman

mdhandyman

How can you buy a new gun take it home and not open it an look/fondle it just all around pull it apart put ammo in the mag load it rack the slide and be sure that every thing functions properly. But still not see that it's the Wrong Caliber. :dunno: Maybe it's just me but I have done this with every gun I bought an will continue to do with every gun in the future. I hope this all work's out for the best an you get the gun you wanted and that this never happends to you again.

18. Airborne Infantryman

Airborne Infantryman Nuclear Trunk Monkey

19. GAFinch

GAFinch

If the shop won't take it back, you can sell it on a local online site for a $50 loss. Maybe $75 if you have to ship it.

Gun store almost sold me a box of 25 ACP today, didn't notice until I got to the register. No way I could've resold that...

20. Ruggles

Ruggles

Try and ignore the negative comments, those guys have nothing better to do than try and be condescending and smart ***. They simply suck and have no life, they must get bored in living in their mom's basement and feel the need to lash out at folks on forums. This place can get full of them at times. :)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010