close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Storage Wars

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by smack-o, Aug 20, 2012.

1. smack-o

smack-o

I would love to sell everything I own for the prices they claim to get......

2. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

I only watch the show for brandy and her puppies

3. Detectorist

Detectorist

It's California. Stuff is expensive there.

4. skeeter7

skeeter7 Brass Vulture

They do make it seem like it's some "get rich quick" kind of profession. Go buy some storage lockers and make thousands of dollars overnight...welcome to scripted "reality TV". I do like watching it just to learn about obscure items and their value, and because of Brandi, of course.

5. LazyAce

LazyAce

It makes for a good laugh if nothing else. Add in Auction Hunters & Pawn Stars and you really get a load of BS. All reality TV is just made up bs to sell air time to the struggling networks.

6. Longtooths

Longtooths

They also confess that they only show the scores and very few of the duds. I just want to know the ratio.

7. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

You figure folks went to work to put stuff INTO storage because they considered them worth the monthly charges. ($20?) for many months. Then moved, forgot about it, whatever.

I have bought items from storage locker. (they open it, move each piece outside, take multiple pics, set aside, next item)
    Gotten some good stuff.

8. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member Millennium Member

Q: Is reality TV fake?
    A: Yes, and that is a stupid question.

9. All Pro Sports Hero

All Pro Sports Hero

I watch it for the turn off your brain entertainment value, but yes, it's completely fake.

Don't forget to pay the lady! :snoopy:

10. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Puppies? I'm pretty sure there are no-pets policies at those storage sites. ;)

Isn't it amazing that someone leaves a priceless item in storage EVERY SHOW.

Don't get me wrong - I like the show - and Auction Hunters. But I don't believe they get that sort of stuff. AH isn't as good - those guys are clearly bankrolled by Spike, sending them cross-country in that broken down bread truck. They ALWAYS score a huge item. ALWAYS. I don't buy that they do that 5x a year, let alone a season's worth every season. And they spend FAR less than Brandi's puppies ever do for a locker. With more people standing around bidding.

But yet I still watch. Just for the mystery. Some of the items are fascinating. Fake or not, they are just interesting to look at.

11. Detectorist

Detectorist

I do like to learn about the unusual items they *find*. Not to mention Brandi.

12. costanza187

costanza187 I like Macs

I have watched it a little bit... one of those things where if I am waiting to go do something or whatever and there is nothing on that I want to be terribly engaged in watching, I will watch it. It is kind of funny, I am sure it is only for entertainment purposes only.

13. eaglefrq

eaglefrq NRA Member

I know a guy that buys storage lockers and I asked him about the rare and exotic items they always find on these shows. He just laughed and said he's been doing this for years and while he does find good stuff to re-sell at swap meets or flea markets. He has never found anything like they do in those shows.

14. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

Brandi. Period. Nothing else to see here folks. Move along.

15. BuckeyePPC

BuckeyePPC

I think the auctioneers are the ones making money. I think one episode showed Barry winning a $1 dollar locker and paid 20 cents commission to the Dotsons. If given the choice I would spend time with Laura Dotson. She has a great smile and a nice voice.

16. Dennis in MA

Is that what you call them? :rofl:

17. Hicksville Kid

Hicksville Kid

A friend wanted a desk and answered an ad. The seller was to meet him at the storage place. I was along for muscle.:whistling:
    This really old guy shows up and can't remember which of his three lockers the desk was in. So we opened each of them and it was in the last one.

Each of the lockers was packed to the ceiling, across and deep. It looked like professional movers had packed them.:wow:

Each looked like a wall, six inches back from the rollup door. My friend opted to pass on the desk as it would have required emptying the whole thing. We never saw more than one drawer of the desk. It was fibre board.:wavey:

Ok. Sooner or later this old gentleman will pass away and if he has kids they will come to the storage lockers and be faced with what we saw. If he doesn't have kids then the auctioneer will be faced with it. If he doesn't have electronic banking:rofl:then the payments on the lockers stop when he dies.

I hope Brandi and the puppies show up.

18. TheExplorer

TheExplorer

It's purely entertainment for me. I would maybe try it once or twice but not as a profession. Obviously the writers make it look much easier than it is. I do like Brandy and Jared since they are the underdogs.

19. el_jewapo

el_jewapo

That's what I was thinking last night. They count up 10 and 20 dollar items. You'd about have to run some kind of flea market or swap shop to be able to sell all that miscellaneous junk they come up with. Unless you're really gung ho about Ebay and the like. I'd leave 95% of that **** sitting in there. I reckon that's why I'm not in that business.

20. Dennis in MA

They all have shops or go to "Swap meets." Except maybe Barry.

Even still, look at the inventory that Rick has on Pawn Stars. Even the $10-20 items, I bet those SW mouthbreathers get 25-50c/$ on even the small stuff - just to get rid of it.

Unless SoCal is different than my AO. I just don't see people racing out to a crap-store to buy household appliances and furniture and stuff. I could just be out of touch. I've gone to the Salvation Army store near me several times. Perhaps I'm there at the wrong time, but there is a LOT of stuff and not many people.