Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellas,

I tried searching past topics but didn't come up with what I'm looking for. This is probably a common question that comes up every once in a while but I'd like to know how you store your Glock. Now obviously, I'm not talking about a self-defense gun but a gun that you use for range use and then unload. Is it best to store it with the trigger pulled so that there is no tension on the spring or would it be better to store it with the trigger in the ready position?

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Gun springs are tough cookies for the most part. Mag springs have lasted 30 years and still had tension being fully loaded. Don't fret it, you won't wear out your springs that way.

·
you son of a
1,397 Posts
I don't think it matters much. Consider, if you store it with a round in the chamber, ready to go, then it is in the second condition you listed. We know there is no problem storing it that way. So it doesn't matter if there's no round in the chamber.

There is tension on the springs even when the trigger is pulled, just not as much.

·
Banned
5,143 Posts
I always pull mine. Not sure if it matters too much, but I sleep better at night because of it.

Reactions: V Gehts

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Fellas,

I tried searching past topics but didn't come up with what I'm looking for. This is probably a common question that comes up every once in a while but I'd like to know how you store your Glock. Now obviously, I'm not talking about a self-defense gun but a gun that you use for range use and then unload. Is it best to store it with the trigger pulled so that there is no tension on the spring or would it be better to store it with the trigger in the ready position?
Not really a spring issue. It's more of a safety issue. Glocks come from the factory in the fired position. On sight you know it's safe to handle the weapon which may have been stored for years. If you open up a storage unit of whatever kind to retreive a Glock that has been stored for ???? I personally wouldn't want to see the trigger in the ready position and wonder if it's loaded. Your not going to hurt the gun either way as you probably know many people including me keep a live round in the chamber for an untold ammount of time and it does nothing to the weapon but it is always ready to go. A weapon in STORAGE in my opinion should be easily recognised as such. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fellas,

Thanks for your opinions. I decided to pull the trigger (no pun intended :cool:) not only for the spring but also for the reason mentioned above that Glocks are designed so that you can visually see that the trigger is in the safe position.

·
On the Border
15,282 Posts
Stored unloaded = not pulled for me. I always clear before putting in case, so trigger is reset. Pulling trigger would just be one more unrestrained dryfire. First thing I'm going to do when gun comes out of case is clear it again.

·
TEXAS COWBOY
722 Posts
I always pull the trigger if I'm storing them unloaded. I have done this all my life (since I was 8 years old), with every weapon I've owned. Pulling the trigger when storing it empty is not excessive dry firing IMO. There are many things that my daddy taught me to do....and, that's one of them...

Keep on Glockin'

·
Registered
861 Posts
I store mine with the trigger in the rear position, not to reduce wear on the springs but for the visual indication that there is not a live round in the chamber. I prefer this so I know that it is unloaded before I put it away and an addition to safety checking it when I take it out of storage.

·
USN Retired
7,946 Posts
If storing unloaded, I pull the trigger after clearing.
I have learned, here on GT, many times over, that Glocks are not injured by dry-firing.
FWIW, I usually store, in a safe, loaded Glocks.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
I too pull the trigger..
I figure the trigger spring has tension when it's forward & is released when it's to the rear..
Also when the trigger is forward it can be loaded when it's back it can not, Unless someone put a round in the chamber when the barrel was off the weapon..
Always check the chamber & dry fire in a safe direction.. ALWAYS!!

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
For storage, trigger pulled. That way when I pick it up, I know there's no round in the chamber, although I check it anyway.
S2

·
Registered
Brno 452 .22LR, Ruger 10/22, Ruger SR1911 LW Cdr 9mm, Taurus M669 .357/.38 6" barrel. Six Shotguns
32 Posts
Glad I found this thread. I got my new Glock 44 yesterday and, to be honest, I'm finding it strange. Not strange as in something wrong, just strange in that it's also my first striker fired pistol. I have a 1911 and a Taurus Revolver so the realm of a 'set trigger' is totally new to me. I guess I'll get used to it in time but I was at a loss as to how to store it. It does seem odd to me seeing the trigger at the rear, and I fully understand the reasons for leaving it that way. However, as I'm in GB, the pistol will either be locked in the safe - empty, or at the range with me and being fired. I have no need to store a gun 'ready for action' so to speak.

So, once again, GT comes up trumps with an answer to a niggling question. It's rather good here. :D (y)

Reactions: boilergonzo

·
Florist
20,039 Posts
In reality, it doesn't matter. My G19 and G26 have been "cocked" everyday since 1999. When I retired last year, I overhaul both the G19 and the G26 and changed out all the springs, including the striker spring. Not because they needed to be changed but because I wanted both to be ready for the next 20+ years.

OTOH, all other pistols that are in storage have their triggers pulled.

·
Native Mainiac
23,277 Posts
Force of habit...pulled. No reason other that that's the way I've been doing it for about 45 years.

Ain't shot my foot off or anything else yet.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Trigger pulled. Waaay back in prehistory, you had to pull the trigger to put it in the Tupperware case. Must be how Lord Gaston intended it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts