Stopping Power by Caliber

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by jaybirdjtt, Jan 25, 2010.

1. jaybirdjtt

jaybirdjtt

http://www.internetarmory.com/handgunammo.htm

One person's views, supposedly backed up with empirical data. For example, he rates the 40 S&W, 45 ACP, and 357 Mag as superior to the 10mm Auto or 44 Mag, something about them being so powerful they'll blow right through you. I've read the same general opinion regarding stopping power of the 7.62 NATO in interviews with SFO snipers who feel that a round 300+ meters downrange has greater knockdown than one fired at less than 100 yards as it blows right through the target. Interesting read. Just passing it along. Guess I'm good to go with the 45 ACP 230 grn HydraShocks in my G30 in the nightstand!

2. Isaiah1412

Isaiah1412

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

3. gnvdallas

gnvdallas

:beer: :popcorn:

This could be endless. I have read similar over-penetration discussions about 9mm FMJ etc. Everyone will have their own biases and favorites, plus endless anecdotes and stories. Bottom line: shot placement is FAR more important than caliber, and any gun is better than no gun when the time comes...

4. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

That is the most ignorant arrogant BS I have ever heard. The guy simply does not know what he is talking about. :dunno:

5. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

This is the year 2010 and people still talking about stopping power?!!

6. Clem Eastwood

Clem Eastwood

I wish I had the POWER to go about STOPPING people from posting threads like this one.

7. jsm190

jsm190

Same comes up about penetration in a dwelling, couple months ago on one of the sportsman shows they did a test simulating 4 walls and it did not matter if it was 9mm, .45 or 357, they all went right through all 4 walls. I say unless you want to hope for the best with bird shot, shoot what you are comfortable with and hit your target.

8. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

That is just silly. The 44 mag is not a great self defense choice because the recoil slows your recovery time and makes a follow up shot slower. However, I can't believe anyone could seriously claim it would be less effective than a 40, 45 or 357 would be to the same place in a persons anatomy. When you are talking about a 44 caliber bullet, the phrase "blow right through you" sounds like it would be pretty devastating.

The comments about 7.62 x 51 are totally ludicrous. Has anybody survived a center of mass hit from a .308 rifle at 100 yards? Heck even the lowly 5.56 is pretty close to 100% effectiveness at that range for a COM hit.

-Edit-

I think I know why the claim is being made. Here is one of the criteria" for "Best" ammunition selection.

Using that criteria would make a 9mm into a better man-stopper than a 50 BMG. Never mind that the 50 would tear the person into pieces. Like I said, silly.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  9. 1911austin

1911austin Senior Member

This.

10. mikeashurst

mikeashurst

Use something from 38 special, 9mm and up pointed at the heart with a GOOD freakin bullet design (FEDERAL HST, GOLDEN SABRE, ETC) and you'll be fine.

Enough said.

11. mikeashurst

mikeashurst

With a 300 grain HORNADY XTP I don't think a .44 magnum is inferior to any of those mentioned when placed in the chest.

12. GlockFish

GlockFish Floyd

Hydrashocks are soo 1980's technology. It's 2010, there are much better choices out there now.

13. mikeashurst

mikeashurst

Federal HST expands shockingly well!

14. GlockFish

GlockFish Floyd

That piece of crap article reminds me of the one on Chuck Hawks website. There is so much wrong information on them both they should be ashamed.

*Edited to add the piece of crap article from Chuck Hawks website -http://www.chuckhawks.com/ammo_by_anonymous.htm

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  15. sns3guppy

sns3guppy

Is always the wrong question.

Shot placement is a good place to start, followed very closely with reliability. Follow that with tactics, training, and drills, and the "caliber" or chambering is irrelevant.

16. Lothar

Lothar Noob

I personally carry a rubberband gun for my EDC, no recoil = great follow up shots.

</sarcasm>

17. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

Agree 100%. In my opinion just about any modern self defense loading from 9mm on up is perfectly adequate if put into the COM. This photo is not hype, 9MM HST will expand close to 200% and still penetrate 12" into a bad guy.

[​IMG]

One other thing that original source is working from is the number of one shot stops. Obviously this has a lot more to do with what rounds are commonly used for self defense than it does with the effectiveness of less commonly used, but more powerful rounds.

18. REDDAWN

REDDAWN

+1 GOD Must love stupid people he made a **** pot full of them..

19. El_Ron1

El_Ron1 AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

[​IMG]

20. ArmoryDoc

ArmoryDoc

Yeah, they stopped working as well in the early 90's. They worked pretty good up 'til then though. :whistling: :rofl: