Glock 17 Stoppage with ISMI captured guide rod in G17

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Suburban, Sep 9, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Suburban

Suburban

I had a piece of brass get caught lengthwise between the breechface and the barrel hood. I've never seen that happen before, and I've never had a malfunction with the stock plastic guide rod.

In case anyone is wondering, the ammo was Remington UMC and the spring was an almost new ISMI 17 pound spring. There is no other aftermarket stuff in this G17.

I've run several thousand rounds through my other G17 with a Lightning Strike captured guide rod with no problems. That one came with a washer to keep the spring from crawling past the screw. The ISMI rod in question didn't have a washer. I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not.

I've put the stock rod and spring back in.

2. J.P.

J.P. Intergalactic

Never used that one but there are some duds out there for sure.
    I've used several THE stainless guide rods in combo with ISMI 13# springs in my competition guns and I've never had a failure with that setup in 2-3 years.

3. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Soumds like a grip or ammo issue and not a spring problem.

4. J.P.

J.P. Intergalactic

That very well could be the case,Danny.

5. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man

One hicup is not a big deal. How many rounds did you fire with the ISMI rod in?

Dave

6. walrus108

walrus108

Did you trim the spring at all or just install it straight up?

I find that with even a ISMI spring, at 15# weight which should be LESS, the ISMI has more preload meaning it starts off more compressed than the stock spring does. This will make it effectively stronger than the stock spring even though the specific weight per inch is the same. You can easily tell the full length 15# spring is stronger when you rack the slide. I'm sure yours is worse. Trim it until it feels at least as light, by hand, as the stock setup. It's OK if it feels a tiny bit lighter than stock. Trim 1/2 coil at a time until it's very close then trim 1/4 until it's as close as possible if that's what your going for. In a smaller than fullsize Glock, a fullsize ISMI spring often won't even function unless you trim the spring quite a bit.

You may also be able to use the factory Glock spring on your stronger steel rod, depending on the rod design.

I'm sure that if you trim the spring enough, it will function flawlessly. Good luck and happy shooting!

7. Suburban

Suburban

About 500.

I'll try measuring the spring weight. I hadn't trimmed it.

8. walrus108

walrus108

Any update after the spring trim?

9. Cody Jarrett

Cody Jarrett

Keep the stock guide rod/spring. I've shot tens of thousands of rounds using only stock springs and have never had a problem with one. The life expectancy of the stock spring is 4-5 thousand rounds.

10. walrus108

walrus108

I have "kept my stock spring", in my range bag, but prefer the more durable steel rod with a tuned lighter weight 15lb ISMI spring.

I wonder how many of you that believe in, "Leave Well Enough Alone", "stock is best", have ever actually shot a Glock that had a proper steel rod with a custom tuned spring?

I remember the first cop I saw with a Glock. First one I ever saw. It was in a gun shop about 1987, and he field stripped the thing and the rod went flying across the room. It was a factory steel rod. Glock later changed them. Both do work fine however.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

But if it can be changed to shoot better (less felt recoil), be more reliable AND more durable, shouldn't I do it? Isn't it worth an honest try? Especially seeing that the Glock was designed with a non captured rod in the first place.

To each his own. Staying stock isn't bad advise. Neither is solving the plastic rod thing for once and for all and IMPROVING on it. Just why the fear of something "different". It can and SHOULD work, trust me.

11. J.P.

J.P. Intergalactic

I have too but I definitely prefer a tuned spring, especially for competition.
    It makes a world of difference.

12. Suburban

Suburban

I checked the weight of the spring against the stocker. If anything, the ISMI spring was just a little bit lighter. So that's not an issue.

I just went out and fired off 150 more rounds with the ISMI set-up, mostly strong-hand only, with a TLR-1 light clipped on. I didn't have any problems with my reloads, which where loaded to standard 115gr ball specs.

Maybe the stoppage was just a fluke. The piece of brass stuck in the slide was from the next shooter over, or the box of UMC had a light load that didn't cycle the slide all the way. Maybe I limp-wristed real bad, or let a thumb drag on the slide. I dunno.

13. J.P.

J.P. Intergalactic

Try this:

With a round chambered and the magazine out,pull the slide back slowly and see if the extractor retains the round all the way until it hits the ejector.

14. AustinTx

AustinTx

Been using a ISMI rod with a 20# spring about 8 years in a G17 & G22. No problems.

15. Suburban

Suburban

... well, since the thread has already been resurrected.

The extractor did indeed hold onto the dummy round until it hit the ejector. The extractor seems to be intact without any chips missing.

16. One Ragged Hole

One Ragged Hole Dis ain't funny

Is the spring tighter on one end on the inside? I bought a Sig230 that had recoil spring installed backwards, cheap. Works great now. I thought ISMI springs were the same.

O-R-H