Glock 17 Stop the presses! My G17 malfunctioned!

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by gary newport, Aug 6, 2004.

Tags:
  1. gary newport

gary newport

I know what you're thinking. "The MTBM (Mean Time Between Malfunctions) for a G17 is only slightly shorter than the MTBIA (Mean Time Between Ice Ages) and it isn't April Fool's Day, so he must have limp-wristed the poor thing." Not so. Read on.

I was merrily shooting my newest Glock, a G17, at the range when a very strange thing happened; the gun locked up! A round had gone about half-way into the chamber and stopped--big time. After sorting all this out, I discovered the reason: deformed ammo. The case of the offending factory-loaded cartridge was missing a large section at the mouth. (Silly me, I hadn't noticed when loading the magazine.) Something like this can jam even a G17!

So the reputation of Gaston's First-Born remains unsullied, and the lesson I learned is: inspect your ammo--even the major ammo companies let a bad one get by occasionally. ;g

2. cole

cole Millennium Member

A VERY important distinction you've made there between a gun related FTF and ammo related FTF. Had a similar experience with a WWB round. Thing was jammed but good in the chamber. Problem was casing out of spec. Approx. 1400 rounds thus far in our G17 and I've yet to have a gun related FTF or FTE. Of course I can say the same for our USP40c at 1500+ rounds. Both good shooters.

3. Jake-Gallows

Jake-Gallows

Had a round do that to my G19 once. We were shooting for qualification for work and my weapon locked up BAD. We couldn't get the slide to move at all. It was locked tight, the slide was back far enough so that you could see the round trying to fit in the chamber. The "rangemaster" took my weapon and went to his little room for about 5 minutes and came back with the weapon working good as new. He later told me that he put it in a vice, wrapped a thick towel around it and hit it with a rubber hammer on the front of the slide which got the round out. Ammo fault..not my G19

4. DaveR120

DaveR120

That is why I test all ammo I either carry, or compete with, on a re-loaders case gauge (any resistance and it's practice stuff).

5. Glockman67

Glockman67 #29 Supporter

Bullet Setback/Deformed bullet is the only FTFeed I've had thru my 2200-round-fed G19.

Sh!t happens.

;)

gman67

6. C9X19

C9X19

Ya scared me for a second there...