close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

stop errors help

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by btoler, Apr 29, 2006.

1. btoler

btoler

i am installing xp pro and have come up with a stop error 0x999999BE (0xc9aec808, 0x1d3b5131, 0xf72157b0,0x00000000b) this is some type of memory error anyone know how to get rid of it.

2. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

3. btoler

btoler

I've been to both of the above links with no luck. Microsoft is useless I don't know why I bothered to go to their site. all I could find on Google was cases of people with the same issue and never finding an answer. Someone has had to have fixed this before.

4. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

As a Network Administrator for my company I tend to get the same problems from my users.

The thing I need to help my users is Who, What, When, Where, Why and what did you install recently on your machine is what I need to most likely fix the problem in a couple of steps.

Forgive me I don't know your experience level.

Since you are loading Windows XP on your machine for I am going to asume for the first time I am also going to asume that your machine used to run maybe windows 2000? maybe Windows 98 previously?

So lets start with the basics, Do you have the latest BIOS installed on your motherboard?

If you don't, update it and then try to reinstall.

Do you have mismatched memory? If you do uninstall the mismatched memory and use the highest Mem stick you have to do the install.

Those would be the 2 places I would start.

Hopefully that works

5. btoler

btoler

well I have tried the memory change out, I'm going to try the bios update soon. As far as upgrading from another windows version I don't know, This is a friends computer he started messing with it six months ago and gave up. He said some of the details are fuzzy so he's not much help. I do know that in the process he managed to change out every single part on the computer(no kidding). new case, motherboard, memory,cpu, viseo card, sound card, hardrive and nic. I will test the harddrive tomarrow after work I have seen this condition before and the last time it was the harddrive. Thanks for all help.

6. pyblood

pyblood

What about the power supply? Bad/inadequate power supplies can cause blue screens.

7. HAVOC

HAVOC Remember CLM Millennium Member

Outside chance, but it could be a bad install CD. I'd lean toward hardware (RAM is my first guess, CPU second) but a couple of bits flipped by a scratched CD could cause all kinds of havoc.

Also, hard drive ~CABLES~, I played swap the parts for a week on one system that gave me random BSODs, turned out it was noise on the blasted IDE cable.

8. btoler

btoler

I know it's not the CD I have two copies checked the ram I went and got another one of my hard drives out of storage today to test that(there are some cases where seagate hard drives are incompatible with Abit hard drives)changed out the cables the other day I will clear the cmos and update the bios this weekend.

9. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

I'd run memtest86 before you do anything else.

The problem is most likely with the BIOS but could also be a flaky RAM stick.

Does the installation always crap out at the same point, or is it random? Same point = BIOS; random = bad RAM.

10. btoler

btoler

same spot 20 min in to the install of Xp pro. I'm thinking it's the bios, I will update it this weekend.