Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
10,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Unless the person will present a threat to you and yours, you should encourage ANYONE who inquires (and who can legally own a firearm) to buy a gun.

No matter whether you think it will do them any good or not.

People HATE being told what to do, and people HATE having something taken away.

Every single person who owns a gun, whether they carry it or not, will not like the government telling them they can’t have it.

There’s no guarantees, but regardless of their politics, somebody is MORE LIKELY to vote to protect gun rights if they own a gun, rather than those who don’t.

Every one of us should be attempting to spread gun ownership far and wide.

There’s a tendency amongst gun owners, like any defined “club” to be exclusive towards new members.

That’s exactly the WRONG attitude to take and it’s a good way to get our gun rights taken away as the number of people owning guns gets whittled away over time by the media campaigns of anti-gun organizations.

They get bigger and more well funded every year. We need EVERYONE to own a gun so they get annoyed when somebody tries to take it away. So that maybe, just maybe, they will vote in their own interests to protect gun rights.

·
Premium Member
4,898 Posts
The undecided should not own weapons. Period.

And anyone who encourages the unthinking, wholesale increase in gun ownership will bear that responsibility at the next Sandy Hook or Parkland.

·
Registered
126,369 Posts
Unless the person will present a threat to you and yours, you should encourage ANYONE who inquires (and who can legally own a firearm) to buy a gun.

No matter whether you think it will do them any good or not.

People HATE being told what to do, and people HATE having something taken away.

Every single person who owns a gun, whether they carry it or not, will not like the government telling them they can’t have it.

There’s no guarantees, but regardless of their politics, somebody is MORE LIKELY to vote to protect gun rights if they own a gun, rather than those who don’t.

Every one of us should be attempting to spread gun ownership far and wide.

There’s a tendency amongst gun owners, like any defined “club” to be exclusive towards new members.

That’s exactly the WRONG attitude to take and it’s a good way to get our gun rights taken away as the number of people owning guns gets whittled away over time by the media campaigns of anti-gun organizations.

They get bigger and more well funded every year. We need EVERYONE to own a gun so they get annoyed when somebody tries to take it away. So that maybe, just maybe, they will vote in their own interests to protect gun rights.

I totally disagree

Some of these idiots I saw panic buying had no damn business owning a firearm. Sure, it’s their right, but that’s not ALWAYS a good thing.

If this sentiment is unpopular here, that’s fine. I don’t give a damn. Of course, I rarely give a damn what others think of my opinion anyway.

·
Registered
10,822 Posts
When I hear someone express interest in guns for self defense, I don't say: "Are you willing to KILL someone!!!!!!!"...

I ask if they have shot a gun before, and then invite them to go shooting to see what it is all about. For the self defense part, I tell them it is a serious issue that is a last resort, and that classes are available for their pistol permit (if they need a class) that address this, and also they can go to classes specifically for self defense with a gun. I try very hard to not beat them over the head about morality, ethics, laws, etc.

I want them to have a fun experience with guns (like I had as a young kid) that might make them want to buy a gun (or 5 or 6).

At my club I help out with Boy Scout shoots, and always do my best to make it fun while being safe.

·
In Omnia Paratus.
861 Posts
I generally agree with the OP. There are always exceptions to the rule of course. Unbalanced/unstable people should not be owning guns. When I help out at my local gunshop I always preach basic safety rules and training, training, training. Everyone was once a beginner. Remember, someone somewhere thinks none of us have any business owning guns.

·
Registered
10,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I totally disagree

Some of these idiots I saw panic buying had no damn business owning a firearm. Sure, it’s their right, but that’s not ALWAYS a good thing.

If this sentiment is unpopular here, that’s fine. I don’t give a damn. Of course, I rarely give a damn what others think of my opinion anyway.
It’s not your place to decide whether somebody else is “worthy” of exercising their rights. It’s their right, not yours. I don’t give a damn whether you care about acting like a totalitarian liberal or not. You still are.

(See what I did there?)

·
I don't even know....what I'm doing here....
9,063 Posts
It’s not your place to decide whether somebody else is “worthy” of exercising their rights. It’s their right, not yours. I don’t give a damn whether you care about acting like a totalitarian liberal or not. You still are.

(See what I did there?)
He didn’t say that they don’t have the right.

He said that he disagreed with your premise that everyone should own a gun. I agree with his sentiment.

Everyone has ability in some field, but not all are mechanically inclined, nor do the have to mindset required for diligence in regard to safe and responsible gun handling.

·
Registered
10,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I generally agree with the OP. There are always exceptions to the rule of course. Unbalanced/unstable people should not be owning guns. When I help out at my local gunshop I always preach basic safety rules and training, training, training. Everyone was once a beginner.
There are always exceptions to every rule. I was making the assumption that nobody on GT was hanging out with any crazies. I probably should have assumed that some on GT ARE the crazies. Lol

But the idea that somebody shouldn’t exercise their right buy a gun because they might not be ready to kill somebody is just STUPID. It’s just “gun virtue signaling” foolishness.

Maybe they’re wrong. Maybe when their life is on the line they will feel differently. You don’t know.

But it makes you feel like billy bad ass in the moment.... in the process potentially turning off another potential gun rights voter.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
After they buy that GUN. Encourage them to learn more, at least get them to understand the 4 Basic rules of GUN SAFETY!

·
Private side
11,595 Posts
Is that meant as agreement with the post or disagreement? I offer no argument either way, just that nature of the response was not clear.
Is that meant as agreement with the post or disagreement? I offer no argument either way, just that nature of the response was not clear.
I disagree with the premise. Suggesting anyone who can own a gun should own a gun doesn’t make anyone “responsible for the next Parkland” etc...
The non-mass shooters out number mass shooters by a great, great margin. Implying that suggesting someone buy a gun leads to such atrocities is ridiculous. Suggesting that it leads to accidental shootings is just as bad.
Perhaps the argument should be that everyone that can should own a gun and be responsible in its use, to include training in safety and legal justified use of force. Even that doesn’t prevent mass shootings.
Crazy is gonna crazy and a criminal is gonna be a criminal.

·
Registered
126,369 Posts
I'll take MYOB for $100.
I generally agree with the OP. There are always exceptions to the rule of course. Unbalanced/unstable people should not be owning guns. When I help out at my local gunshop I always preach basic safety rules and training, training, training. Everyone was once a beginner. Remember, someone somewhere thinks none of us have any business owning guns.
Idiots who don't know which end of the gun to hold that wanted ZERO to do with guns until a panic hit them in the face qualifies as unbalanced, as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
I think the OP means well, but I think there is another way to go about it. Echoing what some of the above posters said about providing a good experience for new shooters, whether they decide to own or not is what you do. I have two friends that had good shooting experiences with me, that know they shouldn't own guns. One is habitually disorganized, and doesn't think he could properly handle / store it, and has a young son. The other has a history of depression. BUT both of them respect the 2nd, and will NOT vote for anti gunners.

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
The undecided should not own weapons. Period.

And anyone who encourages the unthinking, wholesale increase in gun ownership will bear that responsibility at the next Sandy Hook or Parkland.
No, the only person responsible for the next mass shooting, is the shooter himself. Don't you dare put that on anyone else. That's a liberal progressive thing to do.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts