GlockTalk Forum banner

101 - 120 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Last week I did something I thought I would never do again.

For years I cast lead bullets for most of my pistol calibers and a few rifle calibers (M1 Carbine for example).
But for years now the bullet casting setup has just been collecting dust in the barn.
Good retail cast bullets became so inexpensive it wasn't worth my time to cast my own. So I would keep in stock about 10,000 38, 9mm, 45, etc commercial bought lead bullets.

Last week, I don't know why, I dusted off the lead melting pot and 9mm and 38 Special bullet molds and cast several thousand bullets.

To my surprise I enjoyed the bullet casting. Plus it increased my lead bullet stash by several thousand.

Then, surprise two.
I found, after loading some and shooting them, a particular cast 9mm bullet shoots good in 38 Special.
So I continued to cast and load a thousand plus 9mm bullets for 38 Special.

Surprise three.
I ran out of 38 Special brass.
Meaning that I have, I don't know how many thousand rounds of 38 Special caliber ammo loaded.

If this bullet casting continues to be fun I may even organize and dust off this bullet casting table..............no, no sense going crazy. :)

View attachment 859928
That looks like something I may have seen in the Walking Dead.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Everyone!

Listen!

I have the answer to insane meat prices!

Just stop buying meat!

It works on everything!

Stop buying everything!
It worked with vehicles but people think a civil war is starting. Too much false info and idiots floating around.

Edit: And to be honest, you need a secret pass code if it did because how would you know who to trust. I vote Squirrel as the secret pass code.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
When fist fights break out in halls of Congress and Senate, then you will know civil war is coming. Till then, best to prep food and medical supplies. If war breaks out ammo and guns will be on the dead littering the streets. There are trillions of rounds in this nation. Besides, everyone thinks they will be using AR15 in this war and do not think about the scoped hunting rifles. AR15 would be defensive weapon in country where I live. Better to fear the 30-06 and the man that can see 700 yards. Might have only 50 rounds, but he is one to fear. If really fear war then food would be best to rid yourself having to leave the house and safety to begin with.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
I was buying 500 rnds at a time, and picked up 500 each of 9mm, 40cal, 45ACP, & 22LR in January, at Academy on sale. I had been buying 500 per month depending on what was on sale. Mostly Target and Practice rounds, Defensive rounds when I ran across them. My wife was saying I had enough. I was going to the range once a week and shooting 1-200 rounds. I was gaining on my stash.
Now that China Flu caused things to go crazy, I have quit going to the range. I was buying shells for my 30-30, 30-06, and 6mm Remington. all along when I found them at a good price. They are good Deer Hunting rounds, so My Kids can have them later to hunt with.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Truth is, I've had no trouble finding 9mm and .40, good quality, new, brass - online. The prices are high - not so much .40, but certainly 9mm - but I'm buying anyway. I don't HAVE to, but I continue to train each week and shoot only what I'm buying, plus saving some. Every time a UPS box arrives at my door I dread it, because my wife just doesn't understand. But I know I'm right on this, at least.

Don't be so quick to halt increasing your stock out of pride ("I ain't getting ripped off paying these prices"). We might wake up one day soon and the ammo really IS all gone.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I was just at WalMart an hour ago, and they have removed all ammunition from the shelves for the next week or so. Not even a box of shotgun shells

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
People can buy what and when they want, this is America. Those buying what's available now are paying higher prices but are BUYING AMMO. During the last shortage I continued to buy small amounts regularly and let dollar cost averaging do its thing. If I needed ammo now I'd be doing the same thing.
Unless you know the dates when this shortage will end and ammo normalcy comes back so we can return to the range regularly, your request is meaningless. People gonna do what they gotta do......

·
Banned
15,325 Posts
But some people just have to go shooting, like they will DIE if they don't go fire some rounds. That's the ones I'm after when I sell out my ammo

·
Registered
43 Posts
I seriously want to get into reloading. I've never done it before. Any advice on safety and equipment would be greatly appreciated.
I see it's pretty darn expensive to start, and I also notice some calibers are not very cost effective to reload.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
195 Posts
Just to chime in on reloading: it's (during normal times) a measure of time vs money. If you have the time, you can save some money. But it's scalable - as in, if you shoot 500 rounds per year in practice vs shooting 5,000 rounds per year in practice. If you have little kids, IMO you're much better off paying up for ammo and spending time with your kids. You can always make money later. Once your kids are grown, it's over, and you can't buy back time.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Just to chime in on reloading: it's (during normal times) a measure of time vs money. If you have the time, you can save some money. But it's scalable - as in, if you shoot 500 rounds per year in practice vs shooting 5,000 rounds per year in practice. If you have little kids, IMO you're much better off paying up for ammo and spending time with your kids. You can always make money later. Once your kids are grown, it's over, and you can't buy back time.
Indeed. I work hard to earn decent pay just so that I don’t have to work when I’m off duty. I can pay others to make ammo for be to buy. I can pay plumbers and roofers tomorrow fix my house. I can pay gardeners to do my yard. I can pay mechanic to service my vehicles.

my time off is to spend with the wife and kids...and go play with the bang bang toys.

·
Registered
195 Posts
It’s the same hoarders that bought all the .22lr during the last shortage!
How strange and ironic it was to see a shortage of 22LR. As JB would say today "C'mon Man....I remember when me and CornPop would go down.....Here's the deal: me and Corn Pop would just go down to .... you know ... that place where you could shoot ... the things ... you know... the things ... the 23's... little bullets that couldn't hurt anyone..."

·
Registered
41 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
My kids are 30 and 32 years old. No grandkids yet...

101 - 120 of 144 Posts