GlockTalk Forum banner

81 - 100 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
I doubt it. As I said earlier, I'm looking for 5.56 or .223 and I have purchased some when the price isn't too outrageous.

I picked up a couple of new calibers just before this crap started so I have had to buy as I can or have two worthless new guns.

·
Registered
127 Posts
You're assuming ammunition supply WILL return to the status quo. There's a not insignificant chance this will be the new normal for many years.
Sorry dude. I've acquired plenty over the past ten years, but I'll keep buying.
Good luck, all.
This will leave only fools paying high prices. If we all stop then the price will come back down once inventories pile up. Please stop all ammunition purchasing. Please pass this along to all friends. Once it takes hold even the shooting sports will force pricing back down since there will be no competitive shooting and target shooting. Every decision is always based on follow the money.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Problem is this election is a roll of the dice, Trump wins and we can all sit back and wait for the prices to drop, Biden wins and it only gets worse more hoarding higher taxes on ammo more gun control laws.etc. Betting on good times ahead is just that a bet, I prefer to be prepared either way.
I just had this conversation, or should I say, he had it with me. I have no idea how many 1000 rounds he has purchased in the last months and still going 2 to 4 boxes at a time. He has no plans of stopping.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Supply and demand must not be taught anymore. When a void exists something will fill it. If stuff is made in China then someone will create it here. As it should be. The current craze will go away. Trump will win and many will feel pretty dumb when it settles. Have faith folks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I ordered 250 rds from a store I will remain nameless, and I received 247....yeah only 3 rds but WTH? I mean...c'mon man!

·
Registered
30,247 Posts
I haven’t bought any in months
I’d wager to say your refraining from purchasing ammo for a decade, would not inhibit your normal shooting habit and still leave you a comfortable supply. You sir, are the Debeers of ammo. If you released a tenth of your stash, ammo prices would be in the negative range like oil was earlier this year. :whistling:

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Supply and demand must not be taught anymore. When a void exists something will fill it. If stuff is made in China then someone will create it here. As it should be. The current craze will go away. Trump will win and many will feel pretty dumb when it settles. Have faith folks.

Being well stocked isn't dumb, most "gun people" are just topping off their inventory. I got caught short on 38 Special and .380 I have corrected this issue and am now stocked no matter who gets elected. The Bible says tomorrow is promised to no man, the same can be said for elections.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I simply don't have time to shoot much, so I have rarely had over a couple of hundred rounds of anything other than .22 LR for most of my adult life. My routine was to go hit the range once a month, or every other month, shoot a box or two, and then stop by Walmart to buy another box or two for the next chance I got.

All that changed the last couple of years and I started trying to slowly stock up. In the Fall of 2019, I started stocking up on reloading components as well. My plan was to be well stocked before election year fever hit in August. By January, I was reasonably well stocked, but still far below what I wanted.

Then Covid hit and I was able to spend a few hundred bucks on components and ammo before it all disappeared.

Since then, I've stumbled upon a case of large pistol primers once, 5.56 in the LGS once, and the 9mm at the LGS last week.

I have enough ammo and components now to last me a few years at my current low range use, so I only buy when I see normal prices.

I also stocked up on high-capacity magazines earlier, just in case.

·
Señor Member
8,677 Posts
I picked up a couple of new calibers just before this crap started so I have had to buy as I can or have two worthless new guns.
Just about the only ammo I’ve bought in the last couple years has been a box or two to test fire a new purchase, the last time being way before all this hit. I did buy some 9mm & M193 when they were at their lowest prices last year (@ $170 & $250).

·
Registered
951 Posts
You're assuming ammunition supply WILL return to the status quo. There's a not insignificant chance this will be the new normal for many years.
Sorry dude. I've acquired plenty over the past ten years, but I'll keep buying.
Good luck, all.
I agree.
I just bought a bunch of Sig Sauer 9mm at $16.95 a box last week and will buy more when available. I bought a ton of Precision One 45 at $17.99 about 8 weeks ago which is now $29.99.
My wife and I enjoy shooting and do weekly.
The days of the $10-$11 box of brass cased 9mm are gone no matter who wins this election.

Reactions: youngde811

·
Registered
523 Posts
I bought some ammo just before things got real crazy: 9mm, .223 for my new AR, 12 and 20 ga. buckshot.

Last week I bought 2 boxes of 38 Super and a 20 round box of PMC .308 @ decent prices. The only centerfire rifle calibers in abundance were .270 winchester and 25-06. There was a small amount of .308 Match and premium ammo. And a shelf of some European 12 ga. 00 in 25 round boxes.

I'll probably hit Walmart today to see if they have any 30-06.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Curiosity question in regards to the crazy ammo prices. Do the manufacturers and distributors charge more to the stores or still pre-crazy prices? If the later then, it’s only the stores that are price gouging us.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I reload, but buy carry ammo. I average shooting about 1k rounds a month between 38 and 9mm. I have stock of primers, powder and bullets to last about 2 years based on my average.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I think the ammunition availability issues will ultimately lead to a decrease in the size of the shooting community. Newer or more casual shooters will simply lose interest because they can’t afford, can’t find, and now trying to go shooting is too much of a hassle. That is the last thing we want. I don’t even know if it’s just demand. I haven’t seen hardly any ammunition come back in stock in over a month, and I am scheduled for a lot of in stock notifications.

·
Registered
29,999 Posts
Last week I did something I thought I would never do again.

For years I cast lead bullets for most of my pistol calibers and a few rifle calibers (M1 Carbine for example).
But for years now the bullet casting setup has just been collecting dust in the barn.
Good retail cast bullets became so inexpensive it wasn't worth my time to cast my own. So I would keep in stock about 10,000 38, 9mm, 45, etc commercial bought lead bullets.

Last week, I don't know why, I dusted off the lead melting pot and 9mm and 38 Special bullet molds and cast several thousand bullets.

To my surprise I enjoyed the bullet casting. Plus it increased my lead bullet stash by several thousand.

Then, surprise two.
I found, after loading some and shooting them, a particular cast 9mm bullet shoots good in 38 Special.
So I continued to cast and load a thousand plus 9mm bullets for 38 Special.

Surprise three.
I ran out of 38 Special brass.
Meaning that I have, I don't know how many thousand rounds of 38 Special caliber ammo loaded.

If this bullet casting continues to be fun I may even organize and dust off this bullet casting table..............no, no sense going crazy. :)

IMG_4866.JPG

·
Registered
721 Posts
I picked up 2 boxes of 30-06 at Walmart last week and paid the same I did as before Covid. And I really just bought it for the hell of it, because i didn't REALLY need it.
the only thing I got caught sleeping on was target ammo in .38 Spl. I'm good on everything else. But then again, I haven't had much chance to go to the range since Covid began, either.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Everyone!

Listen!

I have the answer to insane meat prices!

Just stop buying meat!

It works on everything!

Stop buying everything!

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Funny, for the first time since the panic started, I bought ammo.

Just yesterday, I was down in "The Valley of the Sun".

I went into one of the larger pusher shops, and found new production 7.62X25 Tokarev ammo for $21.00/box.

Even pre-panic it was about $18.00, so I bought 10 boxes.

There was no limit because it is such a niche item.

The counter monkey swore I am the first person he's ever seen buy any.... but, he is young.

The moral, if you shoot uncommon ammo, you can still sometimes find ammo at a decent price..... AND.... blind squirrels do on occasion find acorns.

81 - 100 of 144 Posts