STOP all ammunition purchasing

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Timmy bigtime, Oct 26, 2020.

1. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

I haven't bought ammo in 2020. My only pressing need is 300BK (I bought a gun late last year in 300BK, but don't have much ammo on hand, because it is a new caliber for me... and it can wait at today's costs).

I have ammo. In a pinch, I even have two ammo cans full of 5.56 tracers (not allowed to be shot on the ranges I go to... so it is here, but it is basically a couple thousand rounds that will remain unused and stored, barring unimaginable chaos!). Think of it like the stacked cans of SPAM in the basement. If I actually have to eat those at some point, dark days are upon us! The shelf life of SPAM and 5.56 tracers is probably similar, and the flavor might be comparable as well.

I don't need more ammo. I am good, and won't participate in this price war for scraps of ammo. The time to buy in bulk was years ago.

2. grumpy1

grumpy1

I strongly disagree and hell no I would not want to do that. The micro economic concerns of doing that are staggering and fixed costs per unit would sky rocket and bankrupt you and a competitor would come along and buy your assets at pennies on the dollar during bankruptcy proceedings.

There have been several ammo shortages in the past and they all had a similar pattern and worked themselves out over time.

The ammo companies are very reluctant to invest in adding capacity due to the multi year glut of ammo during 2017-2019 to the point where Federal was offering 25 percent off rebates that I took full advantage of. They are doing the best they can right now but Covid restrictions/problems worldwide, including resulting shortages of raw materials and components, are hampering increasing supply at the rates that have in the past as they can not currently run balls out 24/7 fully staffed offering unlimited over time.

I am a bit surprised more did not learn from past ammo panic buying shortages and take advantage of the fire sale prices in the previous 3 years that ended early March this year. There were ongoing threads in this forum and other forums reminding shooters that such was coming again due to presidential election year.

3. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

No BS, but I actually do not know. I have never bothered to count.

I'm a big fan of the steel GI ammo cans and whenever I had a need for a couple more cans or I ran across a good buy, I would buy a couple more.
    The last time, on the net, I ran across a case (12) of the (new) 50 cal cans.

The things are handy for not just ammo, but tools, etc.

When my shop burned down, a lot of 30 and 50 cal steel cans (loaded with ammo) were destroyed.

F 223 and Carb mags.jpg

F AK ammo.jpg F ammo cans.jpg F burned guns.jpg F Fireman.jpg F Rockchucker and 9mm .jpg

Collo Rosso likes this.
  4. Collo Rosso

Collo Rosso

That's some sad pictures M2.

5. Tuner Sandwich

Tuner Sandwich

Sorry. I picked up two boxes of .223 and a box of 9mm today.

I'll probably go back again on Thursday.

I'm dollar cost averaging my way through the drought.

Railsplitter likes this.
  6. JK-linux

JK-linux

"STOP all ammunition purchasing"

I did, years ago.

7. imbavid

imbavid

if only we had this kind of power and vocal outreach to the masses

8. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

True but this is more than an election year this is a covid, riots, antfada, new buyers, election year with the liberal politicians and friends all talking gun control. I was already in good shape but 2020 was very sobering and made me think I might need to be in better shape.

I have added a few thousand rounds this year but .380 is nowhere to be found!

grumpy1 likes this.
  9. glocklight

glocklight

I would have to guess the number of people who will see this message and follow the suggestion won't make any difference as it would be to small of a percentage of ammo buyers. I think most of the ammo being grabbed up in the last 6 months or so is by new gun owners. Most of us that have had guns for any length of time know the routine and aren't going to be paying current prices.

540mope likes this.
  10. grumpy1

grumpy1

Speaking of that I was just at a local Cabelas and lady saw me in the ammo section and asked if I knew where the .380 ammo was. I showed her where the pistol ammo was but said there was zero .380 and my LGS that I just came from did not have any either, not any 9MM/.40/.45/etc. I referred her to the lonely gun counter guy who said the same and he said "national shortage" when she asked why and then she left. I don't normally go to Cabelas but stopped by as they are on the way home from LGS. I don't think they had a center fire autoloading pistol anywhere including the gun library.

11. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

Problem is this election is a roll of the dice, Trump wins and we can all sit back and wait for the prices to drop, Biden wins and it only gets worse more hoarding higher taxes on ammo more gun control laws.etc. Betting on good times ahead is just that a bet, I prefer to be prepared either way.

540mope, Rocks and G19Gilly like this.
  12. G19Gilly

G19Gilly

I had a little bit of "extra" 9mm, and at current rates of $600 per thousand rounds (when my cost is probably $250), I was tempted to sell it. However, I decided that I do not want to gouge my fellow armed citizens, so what I've been doing over the past months is staying aware of friends who really do need it, and I've loaned or given most of it to those people. If we have a peaceful next few months, I'll probably get most of it back.

Having said that, times like this make me glad that I really love 22s. I have a good stock of 22 ammo, so my range time now consists mostly of plinking rather than exercising my G19s. Only problem is that my G44 is so finicky on ammo that I have to use the good stuff (CCI Mini Mags) to really enjoy it. If you can pick up a Beretta U22 Neos or the M9 in 22LR, I highly recommend it because those two guns eat ANYTHING you feed it.

gamecocks and glocklight like this.
  13. papershoot

papershoot

I bought a 200 round box of Winchester green tip for $95 this morning. Probably ten cents more per round than it was a year ago. I am still topping off if the price is decent. They had some .308 for $15 per 20. I don't own the caliber, but have not seen that available for several months.

14. kahrcarrier

kahrcarrier FAHRENHEIT

Next week it will either get better or get worse.

pAZ Ron and Walk Soft like this.
  15. R.B. Riddick

R.B. Riddick

I am the only member that is guilty of still looking and buying? If the price is RIGHT, I am buying it. I do not reload and I like to replace the ammo we shoot.

I have extra ammo; but if Biden wins, I do not know what is going to happen.

GlockyQ likes this.
  16. Pluto57

Pluto57

GT members are not necessarily typical of the ammo buying public and the first dozen replies on this thread may not necessarily be typical of GT members. That is, I'm not sure the folks responding to this thread are a good representative sample of all ammo buyers.

GlockyQ likes this.
  17. Pluto57

Pluto57

I doubt it. As I said earlier, I'm looking for 5.56 or .223 and I have purchased some when the price isn't too outrageous.

GlockyQ and R.B. Riddick like this.
  18. Dave Lively

Dave Lively

I keep looking and would buy if I saw something at a reasonable price but I haven't. It wouldn't have to be as cheap as it was a year ago for me to buy but its going to have to get a lot cheaper than what it is now.

If Biden wins and we also lose the Senate bad things could happen but I doubt anything will right away. What he could do with executive action is pretty limited. If online ammo sales could have be banned by executive action Obama would have done it 8 years ago. After talking about nothing but COVID, healthcare, the economy and not being divisive for the past few months any Democrat that wants to get reelected is not going to lead with an emotional and divisive fight on gun control. That's for later. I am sure the legislation for another AWB is ready go in case there is some sort of mass shooting but they are going to wait for it.

gamecocks, GlockyQ and R.B. Riddick like this.
  19. azdave

azdave

I just purchased 760 rounds of M193 556 for $275.. so .36 cents a round..... sorry if I wasn't suppose to do that, I would have passed if I'd seen this first:flag:

M&P15T likes this.
  20. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

I passed up a 500 round box of Silver Bear in 7.62x39 today. With shipping, it would have come out to $189. I've decided to put the money into home improvement projects instead.....something I don't WANT to do, but this house desperately needs them. Should be about $1,000 by the time I'm done, so every penny counts.