Stolen Valor

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Carolina Drifter, Feb 11, 2010.

1. JBnTX

JBnTX

You don't want to know what I think about "posers" and "pretenders"
    who wear ribbons, medals, badges and even rank that they've not earned.

It should be a crime and they should be put in jail.
    Same thing for those long haired civilian maggots that wear parts of
    military uniforms.

:steamed:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010

2. Carolina Drifter

Carolina Drifter CLM

Yep, I'd tell ya what I think but it wouldn't be pretty. :steamed:

3. Isaiah1412

Isaiah1412

I feel safe saying I am probably one of the most rabidly libertarian members on Glocktalk. If something comes down to a choice between individual liberty and anything else, I almost always fall on the side of freedom and liberty, even for those who many feel are undeserving of it.

However even I think the first amendment stops short of allowing you to pretend to hold military honors you didn't rightfully earn. The claim that no "harm" is done if nothing is gained is bulls***t, something is obviously gained or there would be no point in making the claim. And harm is done to all those who are falsely led to believe that the person making such a claim has been recognized as someone who has gone above and beyond in the service of our country.

Its an insult, and it should be a crime with severe consequences.

4. PoiDog

PoiDog Gun Cultured

I don't see what these fakers get out of their lying. Deep down inside, they know they're lying. How can that feel good?

I didn't serve, and my heart goes out to those who did and got wounded for their efforts. I'm sure they are very angry at those who would usurp the rewards for their valor.

5. kahrcarrier

kahrcarrier FAHRENHEIT

If they are doing it for personal gain, go get 'em.

If they are mentally unbalanced, get them help.

Wearing a "part" of a military uniform doesn't seem too heinous. Assuming it has been stripped of all I.D. and insignia. Back in the '70's, as teens, we wore all the army surplus we could find.

6. jaysouth

jaysouth

I worked the 5-9 PM tour as a bartender in a family resaurant very close to Washington, D.C., back in the 70s and 80s.

Never did a week pass with overhearing some one telling tales about his service as a navy Seal or Army "Airborne Ranger" or Green Beret.

It usually took me about five minutes to smoke them out. They were treated to some very crude language and barred for life. If they took exception, there were always genuine heroes ready to go physical with them. I somehow never got around to breaking these up.

Later on, I owned bars and restaurants in other cities and encountered the same BS from people who had never even worn a uniform. I could never understand why some one would impersonate the most reviled folks in contemporary history, the Viet Nam Vet.

Living in an advanced state of retirement here in Nashville, I still am amazed to encounter folks who try to be heros forty some years after Viet Nam. I work as a volunteer at the local VA and still hear from people who were on classified secret missions is asia back in the day.

As much as I first reviled, then pitied these poor losers, they are making up sea stories about their own tours.

Far worse, is the liar who makes up sea stories about other servicemen's tours. Can you hear me JOHN FRAUDE KERRY? Lie about your own tour as much as you like, just don't tell lies to Senate Committies and national media about my tour.

7. Airborne Infantryman

Airborne Infantryman Nuclear Trunk Monkey

I EARNED my Combat Infantryman's Badge. March 30th, 2008 was a day I'll never forget for the rest of my life. Wanna know what a 7.62mm round sounds like when it flies maybe 15 inches past your ****ing head?

These ****s wanna wear shiny medals and badges? No problem. I have a solution; you get convicted of Stolen Valor, you are made to join the Military, and you get put into a "special" unit that consists of nothing but others like you. They can be expendable ones.

8. major

major Rejected member

Now if they will just do something about all the Veterans who claim to have been Special Ops, Rangers, SEALS, Green Berets, Force Recon, Marine Snipers, etc., etc., instead of the clerks, mechanics, truck drivers, and supply personnel that they really were.

If you didn't serve, don't say that you did.
    If you did serve, don't claim to have been something that you weren't.

Wow, is it really that hard to just be truthful?

9. deadday

deadday

Hey, you shouldn't have been sneakin into that ladies CHU.....:tongueout:

10. milglock707

milglock707

I will gladly be their CO and let them come to Afghanistan with me on my next tour. I could always use some good strong lads to clear those roads of IEDs and bombs. Rather them not come home than some of my men and women who are gone for months and making a huge sacrifice doing a job that gets little glamor or respect by most of the people at home.

Stolen Valor charges would be the least of their problems. Just like than nimrod in San Antonio. :steamed:

11. bennwj

bennwj Command Sergeant Major (retired) Silver Member

12. Cobra6

Cobra6

That's what I'm thinking - make 'em put their money where their mouth is. Give them a chance to earn those awards.
    But put them in that special unit - I don't want to have to count on the scum to cover my back.

13. Airborne Infantryman

But there wasn't a safety brief telling me I couldn't sneak into her CHU......:rofl:

14. jaysouth

jaysouth

I once bought a couple of beers for a customer who confided that he was a personnel clerk at USARV hq. in Long Binh. Thanks for your service, I told him.

A friend who is a VN vet and currently works as an RN at a VA hospital relates that he has had at least 5,000 VN era SEALS in his ward over the past couple of decades. That exceeds by a factor of 10 the number of SEALS on active duty back in the day. He also likes to 'smoke-em' out.

15. jaysouth

jaysouth

Cobra6

Is your avitar a SCAB?

16. Surt

Surt Jötunn-Kin

I don't want to understand what's going on in their pea-brains, and with any luck at all, I never will. Who cares what their motivations are? It's sick and wrong.

17. deadday

deadday

Were you at least wearing your PT belt?

18. Airborne Infantryman

On FOB Paliwoda? Hell no. :supergrin: Don't wanna give Hadj something shiny to aim their mortars at. :rofl:

But seriously; for our FOB to have been so small, we had some odd stuff happen on it. :faint:

19. NateHodge

NateHodge Here too much

Does that mean you disagree with me wearing BDU pants? those things are comfortable when working. I also wear the boots, just not with the pants, that too much, IMHO. I don't see a problem with the pants, it's the jackets with Rank, insignia, and medals that bothers me.