close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Stockpot Recipes

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by 1911Fool, Jan 29, 2006.

1. 1911Fool

1911Fool

I am trying to lose some weight by eating better. By the time I get home from work pan frying something is about the only cooking method that is quick enough to allow me to eat dinner in a reasonable timeframe.

So I thought I would start cooking up a pot of something on Sunday to serve for dinner the rest of the week, or until its gone. I have done chicken and rice soup,vegetable soup,beef stew, new england boiled dinner and chili so far. But that is the extent of my recipe base. Any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    1911Fool

2. jawjaboy

jawjaboy Casual lead ho

The crock pot is your friend! Fresh meals daily. We use ours 2-3 times per week, and make some fine food.

3. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

my favorite comfort food is posole`.

This is sort of a niche food, SouthWestern, New Mexico..

It is kind of the same winter comfort food as irish stew or chili.. a cold weather, don't want to catch a cold, sort of food.

Spicy hominy & pork stew is a good definition, but it's a lot more tasty than it sounds. Way more.

The three main ingredients are some pork which traditionally is backbones (and hominy & chilis), crockpot em and save all broth & meat, discard bones.

Quantity not relevant, lots. a whole crockpot full. A big hambone with much meat, or even ham hocks, can be used.. the idea is some marrow in the mix. So, when you're done (if you use ham hocks discard skin) and have pig broth & meat, add chili powder & some extra garlic & cumin. spice it up good, don't salt it. Add canned hominy, yellow preferred, probably a couple cans or one big one. A can of diced tomatoes, a splash of pace's picante sauce, a chopped onion. let it keep simmering, and add stuff as you think of it.

depending on your love of hot, you can add peppers to your own taste. a can of chilis is nice, and habenero is hotter'n hell, and a big dash of tabasco gives it a zing, so.. pick among the peppers you like best. traditional posole uses a smoked hominy, but you can just add smoke flavoring if it's desired.

4. BL33D 4 M3

BL33D 4 M3 SDMF

You could try a traditional pot roast, carrots, celery, onions potatoes (optional if dieting), can of mushroom soup and some worcestershire, maybe a little garlic.

You could do an oven roaster chicken. Meat falls off the bones.

Chili is my favorite crock pot dish. I use stew beef.

Pork Roast, turkey breast, you are limited only by your imagination.

5. 1911Fool

1911Fool

Thanks for the replies folks. There are some good suggestions here. I was fixating on one pot stovetop cooking and was overlooking pot roasting. Beef,Pork,both favorites. I have never tried pot roasting a chicken before will look for a recipe for that one.

I do have a crockpot, altho I haven't used it in 20 years. I guess I'll have to dig it out, wash it up, and try it out again.

The posole sounds interesting...I have only had hominy once before. I thought it was big corn kernels when I saw it on a buffet line and ordered it. Found out later what it really was. But you sure make posole sound like good comfort food. I'll have to look for it in a restaurant and give it try before attempting it myself.
    Thanks to all for your time...
    1911Fool

6. wimclend

wimclend

mind postin up your chili recipe?

been lookin for a good one to make in the crock pot

thanks

wimclend