Stock questions;

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by manonmars, Mar 27, 2010.

1. manonmars

manonmars Spaced Out

I just ordered a r-15 with a solid stock, but.......Everyone seems to use a collapsible stock.
    I was told a solid stock is more accurate.

Any accurate feedback or links I can follow?

Muchas Gracias Amigos
    (just practicing so when the illegals become legal, I can relate.....):upeyes::brickwall:

THANKS

2. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

I have 2 AR's with telescoping stocks and 1 AR with the fixed A2 stock. Honestly, these rifles are more accurate than we are capable of shooting. I wouldn't worry about which stock is going to give you more accuracy. However, that being said, a 20" barrel with a collapsible stock looks kinda silly while a 16" barrel with a solid stock is not so bad. But then again, you wouldn't have a 16" barrel if you are looking for long distance accuracy, you would go with a 20" minimum on a varminter, right?

3. kabob983

kabob983 "Mostly" Dead

I don't think a solid stock is any more accurate. It might wiggle slightly less but methinks a high quality collapsing stock that locks tight will be just as accurate. The stock LMT buttstocks are very solid, the CTRs and such with the friction locks will be even better.

4. djegators

djegators

Choosing a QUALITY stock that fits you, and you are comfortable with is more important than deciding in fixed or adjustable.

5. jem375

jem375 NRA Life Member

I put a VLTOR stock on my rifle when I added a scope, sometimes I wish I had left the original solid stock on. But, it still shoots very good and my other rifle with iron sights has the 6 position stock on it....

6. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Lifetime Member Millennium Member

A solid stock has less things to go wrong. For a range gun, they're fine. A GOOD QUALITY collapsible (not a $20 one) in the locked position, like a MagPul CTR, UBR, ACS, LMT SOPMOD, or Vltor, will be nearly as sturdy, if not more so, in the locked position, yet adjust to what you're wearing/body size.

Having had at the same time a 6'8" male and several 4'9" females in my unit, collapsibles were not optional, and I (on an AR) do not use fixed stocks except on legacy builds.

7. kabob983

kabob983 "Mostly" Dead

Yeah, I just bought a VLTOR Emod (I don't need the storage but I like the better cheekweld), should be here in a few days. I assume that like the CTRs the lock is pretty tight.