close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Stock photography sites

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by MrsKitty, Feb 6, 2006.

1. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Do any of you use stock photography sites?

I know some of them give detailed specs of views. I am interested in finding out what catches a prospective buyer's eye and thought this might help?

I know I won't get rich doing stock photos, but I also figure throwing a few out there can't hurt me either.

Any recommendations on who to use? Any other suggestions?

2. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

This is one of the perennial questions at dpreview. I am including a couple of recent threads at the bottom of this reply, but to address your other questions - it depends. I used to work at a small agency, and we had very specific categories and subcategories, for example:

People
    --- People Eating
    ------- People Eating at Restaurants
    ------- People Eating Outdoors
    ------- etc...
    etc...

We knew what was most requested, and we filled those categories first. We also had a very small, selected group of photographers, but they were all producers.

Agencies like that will help photographers by telling them exactly what they're looking for, but it is not easy getting into them, as they want photographers who bring consistent volumes of consistently good, on-topic material.

Check the two threads below for descriptions of some of the most common types of agencies today:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1018&message=15640806
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1018&message=16087117

3. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Thanks.

The two I have been looking at are ShutterStock and iStockPhoto, mainly because they are newer sites which means my odds for exposure could be somewhat better and I am reading fairly to really good things about them. These links confirm this.

I know they don't pay much, but I am looking to learn as much as make money right now. Just last week, I had five pics published in a local magazine and what really amazed me is the pics published is not the ones the designer liked the best! I understand that what she likes and what she needs is two different things.... but that still is a pretty interesting thing to ponder on :)

I am thinking maybe try out these sites with already published pics? And a few of my favorites, but not my very best stuff. Right now they are just occupying space on my HDD and who knows? They could be enough people who like them that I can spring for that prime lens I have been wanting in a few months. At worst, I will only be out some time, right?