Stock Glock sights.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by latham44, Apr 2, 2007.

1. latham44

latham44 Saint Boondock

I shot my G23 yesterday for the first time, and I realized I don't really like the factory sights. I felt that they almost "hid" the target from the shooter. Is there any sights available that will line up with the top of the front sight so you can still see your target?

Unless I'm doing something wrong I had to "hide" the intended target.
    Any help here would be great.

2. sidewinder6

sidewinder6

There are alot of threads about sights on this forum but I can say I have TruGlo TFO on two of my Glocks ( 19 & 34). I put them on the 19 first and am happy with them and when I bought my 34, I gave the factory sights a fair chance mainly due to the large number of shooters who say you dont need to do anything to this gun to make it better. After a couple of months, and my observation that I was shooting this gun to the left adn all the debate about the shooter rather than the weapon on this site, I installed a second set of TruGlo sights and sighted the weapon myself. I am much happier with the TruGlo even during daylight shooting. Now that I performed the change myself, I saw first hand how the plastic sights need to go and recommend that you dont wait.

Good luck with your decision.

3. RayB

RayB Retired Member

The 3-dot sights endure for a reason--they work! The white or self-luminous markers allow quick acquisition and alignment.

Finer targeting is done with the contrast provided by the front sight blade within the rear sight notch. With practice, this can be accomplished quickly too (in fact for many, it's ultimately faster than the dot method). That's why competitive shooters often prefer fine iron sights.

Fiber optics offer the advantage of brightly illuminated sight markers in ambient light.

Combat sights sit tight to the slide, are rugged and fixed (though the rear sight can often be "drifted" to adjust POA with POA).

Target sights generally sit higher on the slide, and are often fully adjustable at the rear for both windage and elevation.

Taking all of the above into account, there are hybrid designs that combine many of the features mentioned.

What's best depends on the primary purpose of the gun. Concealed Carry? Competition Shooting? Bedside Weapon? Hunting Back-up?

For general purpose sights, most people are satisfied with Meprolight, Trijicon, or AmeriGlo. See all of them at Lone Wolf:

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/default.asp

For more specialized sights, try CGR:

http://www.gunracing.com/Qstore/Qstore.cgi

We currently employ Meprolight, Trijicon, and Dawson Precision, and we are very pleased with all of them.

For my next gun, I'm going with AmeriGlo Operator tritium night sights, in yellow/green configuration; just because:

http://ameriglo.com/

--Ray

4. GlocksterJeff

GlocksterJeff Glock Armorer

latham44: I think what you are trying to say is that you want the bullets to impact into paper targets above your point of aim. Target shooters call this a "6 o-clock" hold. By lining up the sights at the bottom of the black bull, instead of the center, The contrast between sight and target is easier to see. On the other hand, Glock pistol sights are designed for a center hold that covers up most of the black target center. To put it baldly, Glock (and every other service pistol's) sights were designed for shooting people, not paper.

Not to say that Glocks don't make make very fine paper punchers as well. My recommendation would be to try an adjustable rear sight set-up for a low hold. The factory adjustable sight is not the most sturdy (being plastic), but they are cheap and very compact. No need to replace the front sight with a higher one either.

5. latham44

latham44 Saint Boondock

Thank you all for the replies. GlocksterJeff, yes that is exactly what I'm trying to say. I'm going to give the sights a few more tries before I do anything drastic, but if it doesn't work out for me I'm going to try one of these methods.

thanks again:thumbsup:

6. Honorabledog

Honorabledog The Natural

If you are just trying to draw your eye to the front sight dot quicker, easier then you can use black electric tape on the rear sight. Put a small piece on each side of the U leaving only the center uncovered to line up the rear sight with the front. Cheap trick. If this works for you then you can get this style sight.