close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Stock Barrel

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Omar C., Mar 17, 2017.

1. Omar C.

Omar C.

New to the forum here. I'm wondering, does everybody here who reloads swap out their barrel for an aftermarket one with a more supported breach? I just started reloading and have my first batch ready to go but I've heard a lot of people saying its not good to reload for glocks with stock barrels. My reloads chamber correctly, I checked by dropping them into the breach to make sure they fit similarly to factory ammo. Also, the cases don't have any "glock bulge".

Stock Glock 21
    reloads: ranier 185gr plated hp, mixed range brass, federal primers, AA#5 8.2gr

I used the lee deluxe die set that comes with the factory crimper and pulled information about my powder load from many different sources. It's on the low end of the load data but I figured its a good place to start. I'll be using a cronograph to test velocity when I do shoot them.

2. fredj338

fredj338

The unsupported chamber is waaaay over hyped IMO. Maybe, Maybe with the G20 & loads beyond book max, a tighter spec chamber would be wise, but shooting any caliber with book data, the stock Glock barrels are fine in any caliber. I run my G20 with stock bbl & 200gr bullets @ 1200fps+ with no significant brass expansion above the case web. FWIW, I have never seen a Glock smiley on a piece of brass from a 45 or 9mm, never.

3. Firearmfanatic

Firearmfanatic The Enabler Silver Member

Years ago when I shot NRA Practical Pistol, I didnt change out the barrel or any other components and it did fine for me at the time even shooting lead reloads. YMMV

Omar C. likes this.
  4. unclebob

unclebob

If you want to talk about .40 Speer brass from about 18 years ago and early model .40 Glocks then yes you would probably be talking about Glock smileys. Or someone loading nuke loaded. In 20 or so years of shooting Glocks .380, .40, 9mm, 45acp, 45gap. Other than picking up .40 Speer range brass back then have I seen or have shot any brass that has caused any Glock Smileys in stock Glock barrels. I shot copper plated or coated lead bullets. I just don’t shot plain lead bullets. For what I do they produce too much smoke. Plus I no longer cast bullets.
    Glock unsupported barrels is something that I guess just will not die.

Omar C. and fredj338 like this.
  5. Omar C.

Omar C.

Thanks a lot for the quick replies and the info guys!

6. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

Yeah, anything within book, just use the OEM barrel. I probably have owned 20 AM barrels, I only own 2 now, one for loading above book in 380 Auto for my G42 and one for a caliber conversion for my G35 to 9mm. I load hot 10mm, run 40S&W in my OEM 10mm Glocks, shoot a lot of plain base lead, etc. No need for an AM barrel for any of those.

7. es 350

es 350

I have atleast 1 A.M. barrel for each Glock I own. All of these are threaded barrels for use of muzzle brakes to reduce muzzle flip/recoil and slow slide for way beyond book loads
    Several of these barrels have unsupported chambers. WITH PROPER component selection AND CAREFUL load WORK- UP over 800 ft lb loads have been achieved.

Gen 3&4 Glock barrels have better support than earlier generations so little to worry about with book loads.

WeeWilly likes this.
  8. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

Even if you have no interest in reloading, going over to the 45 Super Reloading thread here on GT and reading up on the work es 350 and others have done with their comps is a real lesson in high powered semi auto pistol tech. Worth the read.

9. judgecrater

judgecrater

I went to a KKM barrel as I was getting bad leading with the OEM barrel that was difficult to clean. Had nothing to do with support. Now that I am using HiTek coated lead and jacketed bullets, the stock Glock barrel is most likely just fine.

10. Omar C.

Omar C.

Shot my loads today with no issues at all. They actually feel better shooting them compared to factory ammo. Couldn't be happier.

Taterhead likes this.
  11. Omar C.

Omar C.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in.

12. Taterhead

Taterhead Counting Beans

I'm a little late to the conversation, but this is exactly what I would have recommended that you do: try your current gear to find out if you actually have a problem that needs to be corrected. It isn't surprising that it went the way that you describe.

Omar C. likes this.
  13. Omar C.

Omar C.

Yea I probably would've done so anyway but I only put together 50 rounds and I wanted to shoot more at the range so I picked up some wwb 230gr rn and some federal 185 gr fn. ended up shooting 200 rounds of .45, as well as a few of my buddies guns. It was a good time