close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Stippling

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by jb1911, Jan 14, 2012.

1. jb1911

jb1911

Whoever thought of it should be stippled to death. JMHO of course, YMMV LOL OMG. Yes, I've been drinking.

2. SystemaEncephale

SystemaEncephale

Some one who should have their head examined.

Maybe I shouldn't go that far. But I have always considered them to be ugly and also, it makes it very difficult to sell the pistol as well.

3. LSglock89

LSglock89

I've seen a few...just a few stipple jobs that actually look good and would actually like to have done on my carry gun.

If I did it, it would be a gun I never intend on selling.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

4. ak103k

ak103k

The advantages far outweigh the looks, and like a well built homely girl with nice lips, they grow on you once you realize it. :)

As far as selling them, enough people seem to be making good money doing them, and enough are willing to pay to have it done, so dont think it would be all that hard to get rid of them, especially once they picked it up and felt it in their hand.

5. SCSU74

SCSU74 St. Cloud Proud

i stipple all mine, stock grip blows dogs... i dont intend to ever sell any of mine...

6. WarEagle32

WarEagle32

Stippling pics anyone?

7. Big.40

Big.40

Looks like crap, Why don't people just buy talon grips and not ruin the gun?

8. nyycanseco33

nyycanseco33 Da Fk'n Man

Why pay for an add on when you can make the fix yourself and save that $ for ammo, bills, gas, etc

9. nyycanseco33

nyycanseco33 Da Fk'n Man

It's not that hard to sell a Glock regardless of being stippled or not, you won't get top $ for it when it's stippled but you wouldn't anyways if it's stock with no alterations, it depreciates value much like an automobile after driven off the lot... If you find the right guy then he will gladly buy a stippled Glock for a reasonable price, usually these are the same guys who know what they are looking for and actually know how to shoot

10. Big.40

Big.40

because the grips are like $15 bucks (max) the value of the gun will suffer much more than $15 after stippling. If you are stressed about ammo prices, gas and whatnot you should not be owning a gun. Most people will have to purchase a soldering iron which is as much or more than grips... Bottom line is some people like stippling for some reasons and some don't. I think its ugly as fu**. I still shoot fine without altering the grip.

11. nyycanseco33

nyycanseco33 Da Fk'n Man

Never said anything about being stressed, just simply mentioned other items that people think are worth spending money on. There are those that like stippling and those that don't and you obviously don't which is fine and understandable. I was like that at first too. However a gun, especially Glocks, are made to function well and serve a purpose as a tool, if looks are most important to you then maybe you should not be owning a gun(sound familiar?). Yes we all take pride in keeping our items and possessions in nice shape but when it comes to tools people need to keep them practical instead of beautiful and that might include stippling... You can be against it, that's your call but you really shouldn't judge it until you shoot one for yourself and can judge on more than just looks alone

12. Bruce M

Bruce M

I'm gonna go way out on a limb here and guess the better the stippling job looks the less value the gun will lose.

13. ak103k

ak103k

Personally, I think the Talons, and other grip tape mods, look like crap, and they usually dont hold up real well to constant use. Ive tried some of the "fitted" and gun specific grip tapes, and while they worked OK to varying levels, none have been anywhere as near as effective or as comfortable as the stippling.

It may, or it may not. Some people pay good money to have the grips modified and gun stippled. Once done, its done too, you dont have to keep replacing the tape and dealing with the constantly changing feel of it.

As with most things, actual experience trumps opinion based on speculation. Ive had people tell me they didnt like the looks, but when I handed them the gun, the look on their faces, and their comments afterwards, especially from those who have shot them, were 180* from their initial impressions.

I think your probably right. Ive seen some that looked like my dogs chewed on them and others that looked like they came from the factory. Personally, just from a "looks" standpoint, I find a fairly decent stippling job looks way better than one of the cheap tape jobs, and especially a tape job thats been on there awhile.

14. carloglock19

carloglock19

I went with Talon grips instead of stippling my Glocks. Main reason is because I would probably go crazy and mess it up. Now with the stick on grips if I don't like them I can always remove them and go back to square one.

15. roadkill46

roadkill46

i stipple all the guns that i never am going to sell, so most are stippled! to include the IMHO ergonomically perfect Walther P99 and 99c, just a little stippling to the side made it perfect, once again IMO. I sold a stippled and trigger guard undercut (by me) G30SF for $550 just 4 weeks ago. the guy loved it. bought a G19 3rd Gen and did the same. if you take your time, draw out how you want it with pencil you are good. i'm a pyrographic artist (wood burner) in my spare time, so i have all the fancy pens and thermo controlled units so mine do come out pretty good.
    It can also be a perk when it comes to selling if you want by saying "custom stipple job" like i did.
    BTW for you that want to undercut the trigger guard for more finger room the standard dremel round sanding drum is the perfect size for this.

16. dwalker84

dwalker84

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

As long as you take your time, practice on something else prior, and have a steady hand it will come out looking great - I won't carry glock's anymore unless they're stippled or RTF2. I went shooting in the rain 2 years ago during monsoon season with a gen3 .40 cal, and that gun was slipping all over the place - it felt like someone had oiled it up and with the .40's snappiness I had to readjust my grip every shot. I tried grip tape, talon grips, decal grips, rubber sleeves - they all sucked, wore out quickly, or moved around by themselves. Stippling solves this problem.

I think alot of stipple jobs are the result of several beers, no research, no preparation, and a heavy hand - BUT, even though they're butt ugly, the important part is that no matter how crappy looking the job is, it will be more functional than before.

17. uplinker

uplinker

18. denn1911

denn1911

dwalker, you did a great job. That must have been labor intensive.

19. TruthNotRelative

TruthNotRelative

DWalker definitely has that stuff figured out, I hate him.

20. dwalker84

dwalker84

LOL, don't hate me :(

It's actually not that bad - If I had time to just sit down and finish one pistol without distractions it takes about 4-5 hours start to finish for a typical order, fingergroove removal, triggerguard work, polishing, 360 texturing - But I work 70 hours a week and have a 5 month old so I end up spending 20-30 minutes at a time over the course of a week or two :p