Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, lets admit it that Glock’s grip is not the best there is. So with that, I was wondering, what would you guys think.
I personally think of starting conservatively. I would go grip tape first, and if it didnt give me enough, then I would proly explore stippling. What are the pros and cons, setting aside the price because there is obviously a huge gap between the two.

·
Registered
5,815 Posts
Grip tape is temporary. Stippling is forever.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Here are the Talon Pros. I’ve been carrying a week. Love them. I might stipple in the future but the Pro texture gives a great grip but not so aggressive you have IWB carry rubbing issues. I have only had it a week but have had zero issues with Talons in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I prefer the RTF2 frames and wish Glock would bring them back. And better yet, do the whole grip in that texture, not just parts of it. If they did that, I wouldnt have to stipple.

I also prefer stippling over the tapes. For me it works better, stays in place, and I can have it in the exact places I want it.

Ive sold a number of guns now that I had stippled, and had no trouble selling them, and I didnt lose any money because of it.

It also didnt void the warranty when a rail broke and I sent the gun in for repair (9 years out of warranty). They replaced the frame without question or cost.

Stippling is permanent, but it also allows you to have exactly what you want, where you want it.

If you dont want to stipple, use the tapes. Some of the newer versions, like the one above, look pretty good and appear to be better done than those in the past.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
If you stipple then just buy a frame off GB so you don't screw up the original frame.

·
Registered
494 Posts
View attachment 755820 Talon Pro in my G19 FS...
Nice!!!

Break out the soldering iron and have at it.
I feel the same way about doing that myself as when I finally was going to sharpen my Sebenza for the first time. It’s probably more of a “I don’t want to screw up” mentally. I wouldn’t mind buying a game of the internet just to try. It’s really not worth my time but I like to mess around with stuff like that.

I also learned that a little knowledge is a recipe for disaster and will get me over my head real quick. Like when I “winterized” my boat a few years back and kinda missed a few things on 2 of the 3 motors because I thought I watched the mechanic do it the year before but apparently I tend to miss a step or eight... I saved $750-900 in the fall to spend $65k on new motors in the spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
I buy and use guns for self protection only.
1,520 Posts
I have always removed the finger grooves and did the stippling on all my Glocks and I even sent two, my G19 and G36 out for Grip Reductions to remove that hump. All these modifications worked great for me and I even did this on my G19, which was my duty weapon! Since my retirement, I have gotten rid of most of my Glocks and taper down my collection. I now own only the Glock 43 which is my EDC and because of it's slim single stack design, I no longer have to do any of these modifications to fit my small hands. I use the Talon Grip Tape on my G43 which works great for me, so no more need to chop & stipple anymore!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
If you stipple then just buy a frame off GB so you don't screw up the original frame.
Unless youre a total dolt, its pretty hard to screw up or mess it up. A little patience and pre planning, and if youre the least bit handy, I think youd have little trouble.

Unless you really do something stupid, its really not "messed up" either. You can usually go back and correct things you dont like, and even take a questionable job someone else might have done, and turn it around into something decent.

If you understand that, and come across a not so great job for sale, you could very well end up with a "great" deal.

I feel the same way about doing that myself as when I finally was going to sharpen my Sebenza for the first time. It’s probably more of a “I don’t want to screw up” mentally. I wouldn’t mind buying a game of the internet just to try. It’s really not worth my time but I like to mess around with stuff like that.
The only way you learn, is to actually do it. Whatever it is. Nobody wants to screw up, but there is always that risk. Do your homework, take your time, focus on what youre doing, and things get a lot easier as they go and as your confidence begins to grow.

Just dont let that confidence turn into cockieness, that seems to always tend to bite you in the ass. :)

·
NRA Life Member
66,481 Posts
I use skateboard grip tape on Glocks. I have a pattern for cutting out a piece that fits around the front and sides of the grip, with cutouts for the high points of the finger grooves.

This grip tape has probably been on my wife's 34 for 10-15 years. Needs to be replaced, but she hasn't used that gun in a match in a long time.

glock 34.JPG

·
Registered
11 Posts
Another endorsement for Talon Pro grips. I was debating the same thing a few weeks and decided to start with the Talon Pros on my G17.5 as they were fairly inexpensive and reversible and ended up loving them. My only question is how long they last.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts