Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been shooting every month since last May and have still not gotten the elusive 500 perfect score.

Of course, the range has used only two different courses of fire; Course of Fire "A" - 10 rounds in 15 seconds at 5, 7, 10, 15, and 25yds.

Then they switched to Course of Fire "C". It's listed as for "experienced shooters" and is the same ten rounds and 15 seconds, but is at 10yds, 25yds, Change targets, then 25yds again, then 15yds, then last ten rounds at 7yds.

Now we are back to "A". Every time it is the 25yd target that does me in. I can see all of my shots are in the 10 ring, then when it goes to 25yds, I seem to have issues keeping my sight picture clear.

When I practice at my home range, I can keep ten rounds in the ten ring in 15 seconds. At the actual range, I can't do it...

Today's was close; a 492 with a stock G35...

Text Magenta Pink Line Purple

Electronic device Technology Fixture Output device Display device

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Welcome to the club for differing practice abilities and match results. The more I practice the more I want to win. The more I want to win, the greater the difference between runs at home vs when it counts. I expect it gets easier after going to enough matches.

·
Registered
13,972 Posts
Try taking a paper clip and 20$ bill and attach the 20 to the target to cover hits outside the A/B zone.

I was shooting 498s every month at two ranges trying to get a 500 with a G27 and never did do it.

Reactions: vart

·
Registered
761 Posts
That 500 is a elusive **** and COF C is even more difficult. 496 is the best I have managed with the full size guns even the month where they ran the same COF as the pocket glocks (just 10rd strings instead of 5) but have consistently shot 250s at least once per 3 match series with the 43.

·
Registered
15,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had to go back and review my scores and the highest I ever have gotten is a 492, and that was with my G29. Matched that score today with the G35.

It's tempting to build an unlimited gun with a reflex sight to see how that affects scores. The local guy that regularly shoots 500's in Unlimited has a reflex sight on a tricked out G17.

Oh well, I am slowly improving and have really gotten to know the idiosyncrasies of the Glock platform.

·
Registered
189 Posts
It is probably the lighting at the indoor range that is doing you in! I just did my first indoor GSSF last month and did very well but had trouble at 25yds staying focused on sights with the range lighting! Just a mater on time, those targets prove it!

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I invested a SIRT and the LASR software for home a few years ago because out of nowhere I developed a low left (after years of shooting). After fixing it I started shooting GSSF and was doing the same as you guys for a year - close but not quite. I spent one month doing nothing but the SIRT/LASR (no live fire) and got my first 500 at the next match. I shot 4 more over the following year.

Since then, I've not even been close! I've lost the mental focus. All of a sudden I can't even get 10 rounds off before I start thinking about something else I think I'm turning into a millennial. :ack:

·
Registered
875 Posts
I invested a SIRT and the LASR software for home a few years ago because out of nowhere I developed a low left (after years of shooting). After fixing it I started shooting GSSF and was doing the same as you guys for a year - close but not quite. I spent one month doing nothing but the SIRT/LASR (no live fire) and got my first 500 at the next match. I shot 4 more over the following year.

Since then, I've not even been close! I've lost the mental focus. All of a sudden I can't even get 10 rounds off before I start thinking about something else I think I'm turning into a millennial. :ack:
I've been looking hard at the SIRT system. Had a bunch of the stuff in my "cart", but never did the deal...yet!
As a side, I shot my 3rd and 4th 500 this past weekend. But my X count was lower than usual.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I think the SIRT is a nifty system, but I keep a piece of tape over the laser. I want to be watching my front sight or the target; getting conditioned to look for the laser could develop some bad habits in a hurry. I still end up doing more dryfire work with my real G17.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I managed to get my head back in the game and shot a 500 in stock with a Gen5 17 and 498 in unlimited w/ a Gen3 17c this weekend. So you got me by one on the weekend Ceapea!

The key to getting the most out of a SIRT is tracking software (it also keeps you from looking for the laser). It's far more efficient for identifying problems and the fix than live fire. For those of us who only have access to slow fire ranges it's a decent option to practice for GSSF outdoor and other types of matches. I use LASR software http://lasrapp.com/ there are others. My username (MtStream) is a 10% discount code at lasrapp.com which includes software and SIRT. https://nextleveltraining.com/ (maker of SIRT) has had sales larger than that (like 15%) in the past that included the LASR software so they're worth keeping an eye on too. If you're serious about training you'll make the cost of the setup back in ammo pretty quick.

I did go as far as investing in an infrared laser/camera so there wouldn't be a visible laser, that was a waste of money. Just go with visible and a good webcam.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Shot my 5th 500, with my lowest x count, for a 500 score, of 31.
Second match was a 498, 44x

Reactions: PM720
1 - 14 of 14 Posts