Still have not purchased a radio! :(

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Cali-Glock, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

I passed my Tech in February and my General in March, but still I have not purchased a radio. I want too much! Every time I look at a radio, I think to myself I will become disappointed in this radio and wish I had purchased a nicer radio! LOL

Dang I just need to buy a cheap 2m HT on ebay and be done with it, disappointments or not!

2. R. Emmelman

R. Emmelman Guest

Forget eBay. For $119.00 free shipping you can have a new one.

www.hamradio.com

[​IMG]

Manufacturer: YAESU
    Item : VX-170
    Description : 2M 5W HT W 200 MEM+1400MAH BATTERY
    $139.99
    Coupon: $20.00
    YOUR HRO PRICE $119.99

I just got one and it seems to be a nice radio.

Rich

3. martho

martho Guest

cali -

We have talked about this in several threads recently.

Let's figure out what you want to do in the hobby and then we can help you find a radio.

What are your 3 areas of highest interest?

4. JBlitzen

JBlitzen Guest

Just buy something used that will retain its value well and that has good RX range. That'll let you get a feel for what's going on around you, a start at contributing to it, and if you want to upgrade or downgrade, just sell the radio for what you got it for. Total cost: $20 one-way shipping.

5. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

My 3 areas of highest interest? In no particular order... and a top choice radio for each interest! I don't want to compromise, but to get started I really need to do so and get something!

HF
    ICOM IC-756PROIII
    [​IMG]

Vehicle Mobile
    ICOM IC-706MKIIG
    [​IMG]

Handheld:
    Yeasu VX-6R
    [​IMG]

6. G23Adam

G23Adam .- -.. .- --

Kenwood D 700A for all your 2m / 70cm needs

7. JBlitzen

JBlitzen Guest

If you live further than 8 or so miles from a popular repeater, I'd skip the HT starting out. The 706 is a good mobile radio, but if you don't rig an HF antenna on your vehicle, which is quite an operation, you'll only be using the VHF aspects of it.

I think the 756 may be too much radio for a newbie; you'll be surprised at how little radio you actually need. If you want the pretty display, consider the IC-7000. I still think you should just start small, buy used, and focus on a good antenna.

8. InjuriousGeorge

InjuriousGeorge

Get the HF rig first and you'll figure out you don't want to bother with VHF.

Get the 706 and if you like operating HF so much that you want to put it in your car later then you can get another base transceiver.

Edited to add: make sure to get a quality antenna and auto tuner and use quality feed lines. It's better to have a $250 radio and a $1000 antenna than vice versa.

9. FN64

FN64 Guest

Hook up with a local ham club & see if you can get some "hands on" time with various radios. Here you can ask "local" hams about repeaters & conditions in your area. Believe me ya don't need all the bells & whistles to get on the air, communicate effectively and have a good time.
    Knowing what you really want can only come with time and experience.. Many folks fall into the 'keep up with the Jones' line of thought & spend 20-50 times what they need & end up with a ton of functions they never use.. Just expensive bragging rights.
    Find a few locals & spend some time in their shack to get a feel of what ya want to do with the gear.

GL..73..FN