close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Still bothered... Perv tried to take a pic of my daughter

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Mr Spock, Dec 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Spock

Mr Spock Vulcan

We were packing up the stuff to leave a family oriented restaurant tonight (2 small kids... Lots of stuff), and my daughter (not quite 3 y/o) is standing on the other side of me playing with her mom's phone. The weird looking, heavy-set, middle aged guy at the table directly in front of us, about 3 feet away, levels his phone toward her sideways ready to take a picture. I quickly step in front and ask him quietly but firmly if he is trying to take a picture of my kid, and he actually admits it and nods his head. I tell him that is not right and is not going to happen, and he just brushes it off and responds to indicate that he didnt see anything wrong with his actions. I go into a very protective mode and lose a little polish and tact at that point and in a very firm voice demand that he put his phone down, asked what his problem was, and called him a sick freak and a pedophile.

By that time my wife had gotten our son situated and we were leaving, so that was the end of that.

A couple weeks ago my mother in law had my daughter in ToysRUs when a creepy guy was following them through the store and watching her... The MIL went to customer service and told them and hung out around the staff until the guy left.

Just another reminder tonight that there are a lot of crazy people out there and another lesson why we need to be aware of our surroundings.

2. SGT HATRED

SGT HATRED

Something about public spaces and expectation of privacy?

3. Mr Spock

Mr Spock Vulcan

Something about a grown adult man having NO legitimate reason WHATSOEVER to have a picture of a stranger's 2 YEAR OLD daughter on his phone.

Any LE who read this want to chime in on Hatred's comment? Do you allow this in your cities?

4. itstime

itstime

That is an upsetting story indeed. I see no reason to click a pic of a child like that.

5. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

What he tried to do was not illegal. Sick and twisted but not a crime. :steamed: You were in a public place.

Good to see you were on your toes. These sick freaks are out there. You never know what will spark one into becoming obsessed with one particular child.

6. boby

boby

So taking a picture of any child other than yours makes you a pedophile?

7. dbow

dbow

i worry about this all the time. I have a 5yr old that is the most beautiful girl! i'm just sick at the thought that i have to send her to a elem school where i know a teacher who is a pervert. It sucks that we don't have open enrollment for our schools in Md (marylandastan)

8. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

My kid has had his picture taken a few times by complete strangers; however, they always asked, first. He's a cute kid...what can I say? :)

9. Mr Spock

Mr Spock Vulcan

Give me just one legitimate reason why he would be taking the picture that doesn't make him a pedophile.

:upeyes:

10. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

I would have done the same.

People who aren't parents of young kids in the digital age don't know that it is extremely bad form to take a photo of someone's kid without asking the parent's permission. Sometimes its an innocent oversight. Still, you trust your spidey senses and do what you have to do.

11. Drjones

Drjones

You're right. The little girl was dressed like a slut, I'm sure, and was asking for it.

Right?

:upeyes:

12. Drjones

Drjones

Not necessarily, but IMO, likely. That's just creepy and weird.

What, are they going to frame it & keep it in their house? Sell it & make money off it? Laminate it & take it into the shower?

No, when I have kids, any stranger asks to take a picture of them is going to get lit up.

Serious question: If you had a hot girlfriend & I (or a woman for that matter) come up & say, "Man, your lady is HOT! Mind if I take a pic??", what would your reaction be; in all seriousness.

13. Hrsuhd

Hrsuhd

Yes if you dont know the people at all.

14. Foxterriermom

Foxterriermom No place like home

I think you did good! It is your job to protect your family and that is exactly what you did.

15. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Its right up there with handling your smartphone in the restroom or locker room.

16. skinny99

skinny99 Crew Chief

As the proud father of a 1 year old daughter,who is very cute this is a worry of mine. I would have reacted very much the same. I may have been louder even quicker, I am very,very protective and tend to react swiftly and loudly to most situations. keep on protecting your family, it is your most important job!

17. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

It's a parents job to protect the child, not to delve into the motives of the photographer.

18. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Sorry, but I just gotta show off my kid to a bunch of strangers.

This was taken by a stranger who worked for the local paper. She (hottie) asked for permission, and of course, I gave it to her. I'm not sure if it made the paper or not. I mean, hell, it shoulda been a full-sized image on the front page.

[​IMG]

19. Travelin' Jack

Travelin' Jack Misinformed

I took a picture of a random child once. He was five-ish and the spitting image of my cousin. I called my aunt to see if it was him (didn't figure so, but the resemblance was uncanny) and she asked me to get a picture. :dunno:

20. Bruce M

Bruce M

Anyone have any idea whether or not taking a picture of a young child that is not known to the person would rise to the level of being suspicious enough for further inquiry by law enforcement?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.