close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Stiff slide lock/release on G36

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by kahrcarrier, Apr 3, 2010.

1. kahrcarrier

kahrcarrier FAHRENHEIT

A couple of weeks ago, mostly on a whim, I bought a new G36.

Taking it out today to shoot for the first time, I notice the slide release is tighter than TIGHT. In fact, I can barely release the slide when pushing down as hard as I can with both thumbs. Barely.

I noticed it was a tad tight when I worked the action at the gun shop, but nothing as hellish as this. :shocked: Or maybe I was distracted and just didn't notice..........

This won't go on a self-defense pistol. Sorry my camera is not working, or I would take a pic. The bottom of the slide release seems to be touching the plastic on the side of the pistol.

Is it possibe the release has become bent?

Any way to straighten it out, if that is the problem?

Should I order a new slide stop/release? Does anyone make an extended slide release for the Model 36??

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. JETHRO38

JETHRO38

sounds like it is bent. You could call Glock and could send new for free or go to GlockParts.com and get extended if u like that style? But yes that sounds like it was bent somehow?also go back to Gun Shop and see if they will take care of you. GOOD luck! And congrats on the new Glock!

3. elde

elde Lifetime Member

4. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

Just to clarify, but is it hard to press down when there is a loaded mag in the pistol? Or just when an empty mag is in the pistol?

5. tinman517

tinman517

I would take a closer look at the slide stop/release assembly and be sure that it is correct. If it is bent or damaged, a new one is in order.

Having said that, being that your G36 is new, I wonder if the recoil spring assembly needs to be worked a bit more with time. Perhaps, the new recoil spring is applying a lot of pressure, which is pressing on the slide stop.

Does the slide release without much effort when you manually pull the slide back and release it to return to home/battery? Typically, this is how I return the slide back into battery. I rarely use the slide release/stop. It's an old habit, which I have practiced for many years.

6. kernal_panic

kernal_panic

mine was like that.

the real issue is you're doing it wrong. when you reload on a locked slide you reach over the top of the gun with your weak hand palm against the slide and grip the opposite side with your 4 fingers then retract the slide and then let if fly forward.

7. Jim S.

Jim S.

I don't use the slide release on my 36 but I know it is easy to manipulate and shouldn't be difficult. If you know how to strip the slide off and get a better look inside you may see something wrong.

8. kahrcarrier

kahrcarrier FAHRENHEIT

Thanks for your help all!