close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Sticky trigger safety?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by FiremanMike, Mar 20, 2012.

1. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

I have a Glock 21sf. Occasionally the trigger safety hangs up (I assume against the frame of the gun, as the trigger is clean and free from grit) and takes a good deal of tension to disengage. I have had this occur previously on a Glock 19.

Has anyone else had these issues and have any solution?

2. 4949shooter

4949shooter

I had a similar issue in a new Glock 19. The problem went away with use. How many rounds do you have through it?

3. robhic

robhic WOLVERINE!!!! Platinum Member Silver Member

I, too, had a Gen3 19 that sometimes the trigger safety would "click" and have a similar feel. Something was rubbing somewhere it seemed. Didn't affect the action of the trigger but I took the coward's way out and bought a new trigger bar from Glockparts.com (had to do that! :supergrin:) and replaced it because it annoyed me.

I should take the old trigger bar and inspect it to see what the rub is and maybe fix it.

4. bentbiker

bentbiker

I'd suspect that it's one of two things. If the safety is really hitting the frame, you should be able to see it behind the trigger. See if you can pull the trigger forward from its normal forward position, if so, and your slide is all the way forward (not slightly out of battery), you should try a new firing pin/striker spring. The FP spring should be strong enough to push the trigger bar and trigger all the way forward. This all assumes you haven't used a reduced power FP spring and/or a competition trigger spring.

Often, this symptom is no more than two nubs on the trigger safety catching on the slot in the trigger; the nubs are designed to keep the safety centered in the slot without much friction on the trigger. If your finger hits the safety at a slight angle, it can push it to the side and catch the shoulder of a nub on the trigger. You can take a tiny file to the leading edge of the nubs to create a bevel/ramp for easy entry into the slot. Don't reduce the height of the nub at the end that last enters the slot. This only takes a minute. Or, you can just suffer with it for a few thousand rounds until the sharp shoulders wear down a bit.

If I've misunderstood the symptom, tell us more.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  5. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

None yet, just dry fire so far..

No I think you might have something with the nubs, I'll look at that tomorrow.

6. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

I just played with it a bit, it's definitely the nubs. Now to find a file that small..

7. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

Forgot to mention, THANKS!

8. bentbiker

bentbiker

You're welcome, and I think I may have used a fingernail file.