Stick a fork in NASCAR

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by harold63, Sep 8, 2019.

1. harold63

harold63

It's done.

Attendance at the Brick Yard 400, today, looked like a manufacturer's tire test. I think you could have fit all the people at the race in a few school buses. If I were a driver, now, I'd quit and go work a regular job. Embarrassing.

2. Ranger357

Ranger357 Just pixels

My dad went to the first BY400 and said it was awesome.

I’d heard NASCAR was not doing well, what happened?

Ghost doctor and catman71 like this.

3. -JCN-

-JCN-

Kids these days don’t care about cars.

They don’t represent what they used to for us growing up.

4. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

NASCAR cars all look alike now. When Richard Petty was Mr. Mopar and Darell Waltrip was driving a Ford there was something to root about. Kids don't like cars that much anymore...more worried about which one has the best Bluetooth connection I think.
    Plus it's opening day for the NFL...

5. harold63

harold63

Yea, but the 'Brickyard 400'? I remember when it was standing room only at the BY400.

catman71 likes this.
  6. R*E

R*E

Bring back Danica! :dancingbanana:

7. jonb32248

jonb32248

Yes I warched my guy win but said to my wife how sparely attended it was, crazy. What happened? Really bad look all around. Now Nascar is anti-gun, so just keep it up Nascar you'll be wishing you hadn't.

8. PlayerOne

PlayerOne

Is this the go-to excuse all the time now? The kids? The kids don't like watching "stock" cars go around and around in the same circle for three hours? Go figure.

F1 attendance is booming.

Slackinoff, TACLOAD, Jonesee and 9 others like this.
  9. Nemesis.

Nemesis.

Guns will be likewise. Shrinking areas suitable for shooting. Half of all kids are 1) raised by single moms and 2) raised below the poverty level. Women don't typically take sons shooting and people below the poverty level can't afford guns.

Add to that current indoctrination and brainwashing of America's youth by hollyweird and public schools that guns are living, breathing creatures and possess their owners to do evil, and in 50 years there is going to be a glut of formerly prized collectible firearms at 20th century prizes.

If, that is, Americans will still be protected by the Constitution. That's a really big if.

10. wlkjr

wlkjr

They alienated their loyal good ole boy fan base to fill it with the what's new today crowd. Changed the whole system around and made panzies out of the drivers.
    This year is the first year since 1986 that I haven't attended at least 1 race.

11. RichardB

RichardB Matthew 25:31-46

They moved races out of their home base, the South; to appeal to a different audience.

How are they doing in the new venues?

In another time we could fantasize that the new Dodge or Chevie we bought was like the ones on the track. I could not drink enough beer to make myself think like that today.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

12. WayneJessie

WayneJessie

Darlington was sold out.
    IMS has been the subject of rumors for the last few years as far as being cancelled. The drivers don’t like it there either. Though attendance is down IMS makes it look really bad because the place can easily hold 250K people. Though NASCAR has made its share of mistakes it’s not all their fault. Most all outdoor sports that last longer than 3 minutes have suffered from lagging attendance.

13. 'Ol Grandad

'Ol Grandad Director of civil unrest

Good, it needs to die and take the NFL with it! All garbage.

DonGlock26, banger, mjmac and 8 others like this.
  14. HALO51

HALO51

I see men in their 20's riding skateboards? WTF? Other men are inside playing video games, other men are listening to rap music with hat on sideways and on Prozac or Ritalin. My friend is a Pediatrician, he said mom's come in everyday wanting him to prescribe meds for their kids. He said mom's will say, "Johnny wants to play football or cowboys & Indians, I don't want him being aggressive, please put him on meds" He said it happens daily. Young people and people in general are zombies anymore.

Of course he won't prescribe so they leave, and go Dr shopping for some Dr that will prescribe.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
    harold63, Stevekozak, dbak and 7 others like this.
  15. J. Gambolputty

J. Gambolputty

NASCAR died with Dale Earnhardt.

16. norton

norton

F1 is not booming in the U.S. It never will because road racing is incredibly boring to watch. Except in Nascar. Then it has some entertainment value. Cars can touch and bang, something F1 will not allow even if they could.
    F1 died at Indy because it too was just too boring to watch.

Sadly racing in the U.S. will most likely continue to decline in attendance. As someone else mentioned above, the young do not have the love affair with cars most of the rest of us grew up with.

17. Pluto57

Pluto57

Americans aren't protected by the Constitution. They're "protected" by the SCOTUS. Whatever they say is Constitutional goes. If we were protected by the Constitution, it would be impossible to have a 4-5 split decision where each side claims the Constitution means something diametrically opposed to what the other side claims it means.

Eventually, there will be enough anti-gun justices that will rule all gun restrictions and bans are Constitutional and gun ownership as we know it today in the U.S. will become a thing of the past. I probably won't live to see it, but the youngsters around here probably will.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  18. 'Ol Grandad

'Ol Grandad Director of civil unrest

I noticed a Gillette ad on Flakebook recently where you can get a razor with your favorite NASCAR driver's name and or number on it. They'll go down together. Lol!

19. norton

norton

Nascar went through a tremendous growth period after Dale died. Not because of it, but it was on the upswing when he was still alive and then continued to grow for several years.

Bow Commander and harold63 like this.
  20. -JCN-

-JCN-

F1 is a worldwide audience. I was talking about US. Otherwise you might as well say “Football / Soccer is booming.” True, but not a large share of the US market.

F1, ironically is pretty much the only sport the wife and I watch. But that’s because we road race cars and it’s exciting to us.

But like golf to non-golfers, car racing will die out when the mystique and symbolism die out.

And you bet your bottom dollar that is happening in the US.

harold63 and Intolerant like this.