close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Steyr vs Glock, whick is better

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by CarbineKid, May 10, 2004.

1. CarbineKid

CarbineKid

Sooner or latter this question had to come up. Especially since this is a Steyr forum on GLOCKtalk. So, in your opinion which is the better pistol?

2. GlockST

GlockST

Let's start going ballistic!
    1) Walther
    2) Glock
    3) Steyr
    :)

3. Zundfolge

Zundfolge Steyr S40 IWB

I've shot my M40 side by side with a G23 (which would be the closest Glock to the Steyr).

Trigger, accuracy, felt recoil, aesthetics, ergonomics .... the Steyr beats the G23 hands down. In talking to the owner of that particular G23 it looks as though reliability is also an advantage of the Steyr (we both have about the same number of rounds through them and his gun has had more failures then mine ... then again he occasionaly shoots Wolf so thats probably an ammo issue).

Now as for variety, ease of finding parts and accessories (in particular full capacity magazines), the Glock is the clear winner there.

I'd put that ranking like so ...

1.Steyr & Walther P99
    2.Glock

4. M96er

M96er

In my opinion:

1) Steyr
    2) Walther
    3) Glock

5. c5367

c5367 Esq.

AS a proud owner of a Steyr and a Glock, I can say without a doubt the Steyr is much better, out of the box at least. If tinkering is your thing the Glock has a lot of potential. After throwing a substantial amount of money at my G21, it is just now as nice to shoot as my Steyr. (maybe a little bit more) I've fired the direct Glock counterpart, the G23, and it really doesn't hold a candle to my M40. Precisely why I bought thr Steyr.

1)Steyr
    2)Glock
    3)Walther (only because I have no experience with them)

6. LewisQ

LewisQ 357SIG/10mm

I am very impressed with the Steyr. Lon gtime reliability is unknown at this point. One thing GLocks beats everybody is the variety of sizes and calibers. If we just had a Steyr M in 45 and 10 and S in 45, 10 and 357 SIG...

7. mrapathy2000

mrapathy2000

glock was given the opportunity to manufacture what we call the Steyr M & S series pistols.

I prefer chamber support and the smaller grip on the steyr's,sights chamber indicator though neither pistol is perfect despite what gaston thinks.

its all in what you see,use,like and dislike. steyr fits me better than glock 23/19.

I have no experience with walther's pistols.

8. Cornbread2

Cornbread2

I think the Steyr is a better choice than the Glock in any type competition. They are just eaiser to shoot well than the Glock.

The trigger on newer Steyr pistols are much better than Glocks and I think the Steyr sights really work. I would like to have them on other pistols I own.

For daily carry the Glock wins for several reasons.

9. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE

Out of the box:
    Steyr
    Glock
    Walther P99

Accessorized:
    Glock
    Steyr
    Walther P99

Reliability dimension - unknown

10. bpisler

bpisler

Let's see,i've owned a glock 17,19,23,26 and 30.I had no problems with any of the glocks.I now have a steyr M-9,in the first 300 rounds the trigger failed to reset 9 times.Tonight i put another 200 round thru the steyr and had 2 failues with the trigger not reseting.I do love the grip angle and the sights on the steyr.It's very accurate with black hills 115gr +p golddots.I haven't lost faith yet,hopefully the trigger problem is just new gun blues.

11. rsilvers

rsilvers Guest

What do you guys feel a G23 needs to be good?

A 3.5lb trigger, ok. I doubt anything else is useful.

I have an M in Massachusetts. I bet only a few other people have them since they were banned as unsafe junk guns a few weeks after they shipped.

12. Flashpoint

Flashpoint NRA Member

bpisler

I bet you have a bad egg, I have never heard of that problem with any Steyr pistol. Have you had any warrenty work done on your gun?

The Steyr just has a better feel than Glock. I like the option of haveing a manuel safety and locking it up if I so choose to. The gun is more accurate than I am. Not too long ago I went shooting with a friend that brought a G23 and he was shooting all over the paper. I let him shoot my M40 and he actually started having groups. Another thing is that everyone seems to want a Glock, like having a Glock automaticly make you a one man army. Don't get me wrong Glocks are good guns and serve a purpose, but they are not the end all be all. I was shown quit a few Glock before I was shown the Steyr at the gun shop I frequent, but when I picked up the Steyr I knew that I had found what I was looking for.

13. bpisler

bpisler

Flashpoint
    no warranty work done yet,it seems to only happen after i run some old german 9mm thru it.This stuff is close to 50 years old and very dirty.This weekend i'll run a couple hundred winchesters thru and see what happens.Overall i'am pleased with my M-9.

14. dodger

dodger

when I was looking for my carry gun I looked at a lot of Glocks but I didnt like any of them and will probably never own one I just didnt like the feel of any of them. Before I found the S-40 I looked at a lot of other guns my fav unill the steyr was the kahr P. then I found the Steyr and knew that I had finaly found my carry pistol. if I had to rank I would rank Glocks somewhere at the bottom of all the guns I looked at.

15. DAIadvisor

DAIadvisor

Steyr M9 is an improvement on a Glock design. Steyr has more features, and better quality of manufacture and design. It has a better feel, finish, accuracy and less felt recoil. Built in safety and loaded chamber indicator are great too.

So, in my opinion:

1. Steyr
    2. Beretta
    3. HK
    4. Glock
    5. All others

16. Akkid

Akkid

A few years ago one of the gun rags did a write up on these three and maybe the H&K as well. They ranked Walther 1, Steyr 2, and Glock 3. They really raved about the Steyr but didnt like the then $650+ price tag. I like the ergos of the new P200 but Im not gonna shell out that kind of $$ for a plastic pistol. I really like glocks, but liked my p99 more, Ive never shot a styer but like the ergos better than the other two.

17. rsilvers

rsilvers Guest

I would say Glock is #1 because of the simple/elegant design. The Steyr has some nice ergonomics though.

HK and Sig are a tie for #2
    Steyr and Walther and Beretta are all #3 (Beretta is top quality but loses points for being conventional double action with a long trigger pull).

But all that I just mentioned are still 'top tier' guns.

Then come the guns like Kahr, Taurus, which is second Tier.

3rd Tier are things like Ruger, Kaltec, Sigma.

18. 9x23w

9x23w

Steyr's have a manual safety which, if not used, does not interfere with handling or operation of the gun. Very desirable for me. There is no way to make a Glock safe w/ a round in the chamber. (Note - I am not LE)

I have small-medium sized hands and my M-357 feels better than any other auto pistol I have ever handled.

19. flyandscuba

flyandscuba

For my purposes -- the Steyr is better than the Glock...

Thus, I own two Steyrs -- and zero Glocks (I sold my G27 years ago and replaced it with a KT P-40/P-357)

20. MrGlock21

MrGlock21

Wilhelm Bubits, the mastermind of the M-Series worked for Glock once. I still can't find a significant improvement, though.