close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Steyr vs. Glock - torture tests opinion

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by DAIadvisor, Jul 13, 2004.

1. DAIadvisor

DAIadvisor

I am thinking it's about time we have realistically tested a Steyr to the limits of what it can and can't do. But all the usual stupidity like dropping guns out of helicopters and freezing them in ice is not a valid test - any gun (with very few exceptions) will easily survive that. I am proposing a real life tests that actually show how a weapon behaves during extended periods of use. Steyrs are basically an improvement on original Glock design, which tells me it should be better equipped to deal with adverse situations than the original.

In the life of the gun there are 2 things that can adversly affect the operation - one is dust, dirt and fouling up from regular carry and shooting, and second is moisture and water that can get in from the outside and cause corrosion. This is what we should base the weapon testing upon, and not eye candy type tests that others are doing.

[​IMG]

I personally have not had or shot my Steyr long enough to form an opinion on the long term reliabilty of the weapon, nor have I ever got my Steyr so dirty that it wouldn't function. However, I can tell you that it performed flawlessly for me when I needed it to work, and I have not had a gun related malfunction yet. I have approximately 1500 trouble-free rounds fired so far.

I would like to know if someone has conducted an endurance test on a Steyr to determine the limits of its functionality? I am not referring to Bubbit's original 20000 round test, but to actual your personal in-field experience. I would really be interested in reading it.

Appreciate any feedback!

2. matt7184

matt7184 Millennium Member

If you search many owners have many rounds through their guns with good reliability, but I dont think anyone here (as I dont think anyone should) has gone thousands of rounds without cleaning.

In EXTREME conditions, I would think the Glock would be a lil more reliable as it seems to require a lil less lube and seems to be looser in tolerances from the ones i've seen.

3. SturmRuger

SturmRuger

When I first got my M40 I went several months without cleaning. I would guess it was in the 750 range. I have yet to have any sort of malfunction with my M40. It runs, and runs.

4. DAIadvisor

DAIadvisor

If Bubits worked for Glock before designing this gun, I am sure that he applied his knowledge and experience to make sure this weapon is more reliable and sturdy than the original. So, whatever Glock specs were, Steyr has matched and exceeded them to make sure their gun was better suited to handle adverse conditions. I am still stunned Austrian military went with Glocks instead of Steyrs. I think M series is superior to comparable Glock variants in just about every department.

5. AMX

AMX

You DO know that the M series wasn't around back then?
    And that Steyr's entry - the GB - was their first handgun since WWI?

6. DAIadvisor

DAIadvisor

I think I might be wrong here - I have read that Steyr and Glock both were competing for the Austrian army contract and Glock won. I was under impression that M series was one of the guns considered.

7. AMX

AMX

Nope. Steyr submitted the GB; remember, the trials started in 1980, and Glock won the contract with his very first pistol design.
    No M back then.

8. matt7184

matt7184 Millennium Member

Also if you search, apparently Bubbits put certain design input into the Steyr M and S but did not design the whole gun. Apparently Schranz of IGB did the engineering getting the features he wanted to work all together.