Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Private side
11,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I began a quality over quantity switch in my gun collection. Extra Glocks, 870s, lower end ARs, bolt actions and pistols of which I had three or more are being sold and I’m trying to find things none of my friends have.
Add that to the fact that there is a new range opened nearby that happens to have facilities for long range (previous longest range available to me was 225 yds) and I decided I wanted something with a little more reach.
I now own a Steyr SSG 04 in .300 Win Mag. Anybody have any experiences with it?
The trigger is nice and the bolt is smooth. I’m hoping I can do my part once I find a good scope.

·
Registered
10,029 Posts
I have a Steyr SSG 69 in .308 that I have had since around '90. I still have an early target with 3 shots in a dime at 200m. Pretty spectacular rifle.

I am lusting for one of the new Steyr SSG 08 rifles in .338 Lapua but it's a long way out of my price range.

I would expect the 04 version to be a very fine rifle.

·
Private side
11,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Had a Steyr Professional Rifle in 30-06 years ago. Great rifle. Yours should be great, too.
I’m hoping. Never really shot over 200 yds. Most of my hunting shots I keep to under 50 although this year I took a 110yd.
I’ve always associate Steyr with outside my price range but I found this one used (apparently) but not mistreated at a good price. Previous owner kept the scope base though so I have to find another.

·
Private side
11,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a Steyr SSG 69 in .308 that I have had since around '90. I still have an early target with 3 shots in a dime at 200m. Pretty spectacular rifle.

I am lusting for one of the new Steyr SSG 08 rifles in .338 Lapua but it's a long way out of my price range.

I would expect the 04 version to be a very fine rifle.
For my .308, I just sold a 700 tactical and I’m buying a Sig SSG 3000.

·
Registered
10,029 Posts
For my .308, I just sold a 700 tactical and I’m buying a Sig SSG 3000.
I have a 700 Mil Spec and it is fantastic. I put in a Timney trigger just because I wasn't comfortable with the Remington triggers (there was a big controversy at the time).

I think the heavy barrel Mil Spec will outshoot the spindly barrel Steyr but I'm not sure of that. Steyr makes some great rifles but every once in a while, Remington pulls something out of the hat.

I'm planning to keep them both!

BTW, don't overlook Savage! I have a 6.5x284 Norma heavy barrel F class and it will really shoot. I don't want to carry it but it will certainly work when I get there.

I also have the Savage Precision Varmint in .223 and it's a really good rifle as well. But not for long range. It won't always knock down the 500m Ram in Metallic Silhouette shooting.

If the objective is long range, as it is for this thread, I'm thinking the F class will lead the way but it's too heavy for carrying. I think the Steyr in .300 Wiin Mag might be a really good choice.

But I'm still lusting for something in .338 Lapua.

·
Private side
11,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's like catching her with her top off :D
I’ve been hearing good things about Meopta and German Precision Optics but there’s only 1 or 2 places nearby that might carry them.

Reactions: pgg00
1 - 11 of 11 Posts