close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Steyr really does out-Glock the Glock!

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by steyrd straight, Jan 5, 2005.

1. steyrd straight

steyrd straight

I'm taking this post from my post at the Steyr club-- for those of you who have not taken a look at the Steyr M series, I recommend that you do so... you will not be disappointed. I got the M40A-1, the new one, but the original M's and S's can be had for $300 or less from CDNN and Davidson's. Anyhow, here goes my review--

Just got back from my second trip to the range. Sorry guys, I put another 250 rounds of UMC Remington through the gun, along with some old Corbon 135g and Winchester Silvertip 155g I bought a total of 750 rounds of UMC, so I have a lot more to shoot up. To explain, I would rather use Winchester 165g 100 round value packs at 16.99 at Walmart, but I had some points to use through a rewards program from work, and one of the few places that I can use them on anything resembling a good deal is Outdoor World. I also ordered a Surefire Z2 Combatlight through them, which I am picking up today (can't wait-- although-- my girlfriend can't believe that I get excited about a flashlight, or that I'm spending $90 for it!).

Well, things went much better with the M40A-1 today, and overall I can't say enough about how impressed I am with this gun. After my first trip to the range, I was wondering if I made the right decision based on the FTF's. Now, I am positive I made the right decision. I did experience a couple of FTF's. But they only happened after 150 rounds, and only on the first round, when I eased instead of dropping the slide forward. I dropped the slide lock on each new mag from then on, and the problem went away. If I understand how to avoid the problem I'm fine with it. As an added plus, the gun never ejected brass onto my head today, either. That problem went away just like you guys said it would. Thanks again, btw, to everybody's advice and help.

I had dry fired the gun a lot the past few days to get used to the grip and trigger, which really paid off. After not shooting (before I got this gun) for over four years, I did my best handgun shooting ever today with the Steyr. Most shooting was done 7-10 yards, double-taps, 2 chest one head, ready drills, etc. After all was said and done I only put one shot in the 9 ring all day, which is phenomenal for me. I'll buy a shot timer to practice and start shooting some IDPA to improve.

I am going to have to post in Non-Glock firearms because I'm just preaching to the choir in this forum, but suffice it to say, the advantages of the Steyr over the Glock are substantial and real.

They are:

1) For me, a more ergonomic and comfortable grip, although the Hogue Hand-all made the gun both point and reach better in my large hands. I like the 111 degree angle, for me, the gun points even better than the Glock, which is surprising to me, consider that I owned 4 Glocks in the past and put thousands of rounds through them.

2) The recoil characteristics of the Steyr are clearly superior over the Glock. Because of the lower bore axis and the extra steel in the frame, which lowers the center of gravity, the M40A-1's muzzle flip is less,in my subjective opinion, than a Glock 19 shooting non +P ammo. It seems to recoil more to the rear than flip, back into the web of my hand, which is ideal, making the gun easy to drive back on target. It makes me think that the 9mm must be ridiculously easy to shoot.

3) Although this is more subjective-- IMHO, the Steyr has a better trigger, being both more crisp and having a shorter reset. It's a pretty short pull, which I like (the safety is between the ears anyways, right?).

4) The Triangle/Trapezoid sights are very nice, a good idea implemented well. Not a gimmick at all. For those who haven't seen a Steyr up close, the entire triangle is painted white, which is easy to pick up and center in the rear trap. The design seems to favor speed over target shooter 25 yard accuracy, but I can definitely see how focusing more on the very tip and paying more attention to centering the triangle would do good work at longer ranges with some practice. I am going to drop some tritium inserts in them through MMC or Trijicon (is Trijicon chargin $150 for the rear two bars and the front dot?), and I'll be done and happy.

5) I cannot emphasize how much I appreciate Steyr using steel for the magazines and the mag catch. With Glock, you can at least buy an extended slide stop that actually works, and cannot select from any number of aftermarket sights, but it is much more difficult to replace all your mags with metal ones and buy a metal slide stop. Let's face it-- mag catches and mags should not be made out of polymer. They are cheap to replace, yes, but why should you have to do that in the first place! Now, that the Steyr has metal mags is not unique-- the SA XD has nickeled mags, an improvement again over the Steyr-- but in the meantime, Springfield "forgot" to provide tennifer, or any similiar metal protection for the XD-- a big boo-boo in my book.

To sum it up, with the Steyr you have a pistol almost as low profile as the Glock, but with some added weight to make the pistol easier to shoot. Steyr took the best aspects of the Glock design and improved on them in almost every area, in my opinion. A great gun that I'm happy to own (and now I want an S40, too!).

2. SirDrinksAlot

SirDrinksAlot

I'll have to check it out.

3. Leigh

Leigh

I will differ with you on the magazine issue. I have NEVER seen a chewed up Glock mag so peened by the plastic catch that it would not seat/function properly. I've replaced mag springs over the years (3 in all) but never a Glock mag body. As for the slide stop, that's all it is, a 'stop.' Slingshot is as fast and idiot-proof while under stress thaan any little piece of metal on the frame.

4. f1b32oPTic

f1b32oPTic R4d104c71v3

ive had my glock .40 since 1999 and shoot at the very least once a month and i have had 1 ftf the whole time i have owned the gun. trying to tell me the steyr is a superior pistol in design to the glock will take a little more than this post

why did they discontinue their other ones?

5. AMX

AMX

Cost issue.
    Building a second production line to sell to the same customers might be a bit unprofitable, don't you think?
    Especially if it's essentially the same gun, just with detail improvements.

Except for the S-issue.
    Nobody understands why they discontinued that one.

6. feetpiece

feetpiece Unforgiven

7. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Lifetime Member Millennium Member

I like the grip on the Steyr, however, I'd have to put a thousand or two thousand rounds through one before I even considered switching from a Glock. Also, I'd need different sights (Big Dot XS Tritium), that triangle, I just can't get used to.

8. argwarrior

argwarrior

I thought they were completely discontiuing these pistols. Glad to hear they aren't I'd like to pick one up some day. They feel good in my hand.

9. feetpiece

feetpiece Unforgiven

I must admit there is one thing I don't like about them - the limited access lock. It's a grotesque add-on and is obviously not part of the design. Removing it simplifies removal of the subframe but leaves a big ugly hole in the frame.

10. mdm3

mdm3

I have been mulling over picking up one of the S series for a couple months. I waited so long that now the S40 will cost me more than I am willing to pay. I haven't got a chance to pick one up yet since no shop close by has them. They look and sound great to me though!

11. Fingolfin

Fingolfin Engorged Member

Thanks for the review. I might have to check out the new version, nice that they have a standard rail.
    [​IMG]

12. CZ100B

CZ100B

I've got a Steyr M40, and I love it. The only reason it isn't my bed-side table gun is that I have a G29 and there is no Steyr M10 ;f

Jeremy

13. Rusty Phillips

Rusty Phillips Moderator Millennium Member

there is only one thing that I dont like about them, and that is the fact that I dont know who - if anybody is importing them

and, if spare parts/mags/sights are available

I see that Dynamit Nobel is importing their rifle line but [edit]where are the pistols.[/edit]

http://www.dnrws.com/index2.html

What ever happened with GSA?

oh I almost forgot

I also dont like the fact that they give up two to three rounds to each Glock in the size / caliber that I want.

and I also dont like the fact that they do not offer any 45s - whether GAP or ACP

and I also dont like the fact that they dont have a 10mm

and I also dont like the fact that I dont have the first freaking clue how to pronounce Steyr

but other than that they are ok

so is Steyr pronounced it STIRE or STEER?

14. feetpiece

feetpiece Unforgiven

I will be 1st in line if they come out with a .45 or 10mm - until them I still have my P220's

I ordered some parts to play with on the 1st and they'll be here on Friday.

It's pronounced stire ;)

15. Rusty Phillips

Rusty Phillips Moderator Millennium Member

just curious - who did you order the parts from?

who is importing the Steyr pistols?

where apart from CDNN can you buy them?

16. hartzpad

hartzpad

I've been a Steyr believer since I picked up my M9 in May. Since then I have not been able to enjoy shooting any Glocks (22, 17, 26, 27, 23, 30 or 21). I also picked up an S9 for a carry piece. Thousands of rounds through both of these pistols with 0 (as in not one) malfuction. As everyone knows (but some are too prideful/jealous to admit) Glocks are great pistols. Steyr just improved what Glock should have produced as the 3rd generation Glocks.

1) Lower bore axis than Glocks means less muzzle flip, recoil goes straight back instead of up
    2) dovetailed, smooth steel sights instead of relatively sharp edged plastic sights
    3) trapazoidal sights lead your eye to the target for faster target acquisition and faster followup shots (same idea as the triangle markings on runways to lead pilots in). I love the sights and wish they were available on other pistols
    4) 111 degree grip angle for more natural pointing
    5) More ergonomic grip
    6) crisper, smoother trigger with less travel and shorter reset
    7) metal magazine instead of plastic
    8) steel slide stop/release
    9) loaded chamber indicator
    10) metal mag catch will not wear down
    11) fully supported chamber for .40 S&W
    12) best of all, Steyrs can be had for $249, while they last, close to half the cost of a brand new Glock
    etc, etc, etc.

Steyr Drawbacks
    1) less factory support than Glock
    2) relatively scarce or expensive hi-caps
    3) slowly growing aftermarket support and products (holsters, accessories, etc.)
    4) has not been tested as extensively as Glock pistols

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13 rounds of 9mm carry (w/ modified S40 mags)
    [​IMG]

I also love the cases that Steyr pistols come in, better factory case than any other manufactuer

[​IMG]

17. hartzpad

hartzpad

Parts are ordered from the current importer here in the U.S. -

Diamond Trail Shooter's Supply
    606 South Front Street
    Montezuma, IA 50171

Warranty Ship To Address
    Steyr Repair Center
    1660 160th Street
    Waverly, IA 50677

Davidson's Gallery of guns also carries Steyr pistols and when you order through them you also get a free lifetime warranty! Well worth it. Various other gun shops sell Steyr pistols, but CDNN has the best prices followed by Davidson's.

18. feetpiece

feetpiece Unforgiven

19. TLHelmer

TLHelmer Millennium Member

Hartzpad,

I was told that you couldnt get a new Steyr! I gather that is wrong by your post.

Can you get hi-caps? How many rounds?

20. hartzpad

hartzpad

I got 5 hi-caps in September for my M9, they hold 14 rounds, 12 rounds for .40 guns.