Stevie Ray Vaughn

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Folsom_Prison, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

Something other than a protesting thread for a change of pace.

Honestly I think it was on here years back somebody mentioned SRV and I looked it up. Just one of those things, I had heard pride and joy or look at little sister on the radio prior but those two songs never sucked me in enough to dig deeper to see who it was.

Once I finally did dig deeper into the SRV stuff I was hooked. The last year and a half getting into guitar I’d say it’s even more prevalent than before. Not a snowballs chance in hell I’d ever be that good but his stuff has motivated me to try and improve. Obviously the greatest guitarist is very subjective.

That said not many people can string up a strat with 12 or 13 gauge strings, dress like some kind of pirate and play Hendrix stuff better than Hendrix. On top of that own whatever he played with ease.

View: https://youtu.be/i5sqJNFFwqc

DrVlad, GVIFlyer, TGT and 16 others like this.
  2. Inyo Tim

Inyo Tim Senior Moment

I'm a tube amp guy and read an interesting tidbit about SRV and his amps. A magazine did an interview with his amp tech and the tech shared one of SRV's quirks. He insisted on always having his amps set the the same numbers. This don't work at some venues and the amp tech would have to cheat. During the sound check when SRV wasn't around, the amps would be adjusted until the right tone was found. Then the knobs would be pulled off and put back on at SRV's numbers.

DrVlad, 1eyedjack01, TGT and 5 others like this.

3. quasii

quasii

I saw SRV in a small east Texas town for a $1 while he was club hoping in 1982 between Dallas and Houston. He was already playing the songs from his first two albums and I was amazed by his abilities of playing and drinking JD on stage... I'm glad he got clean in his later days, he was truly a nice guy and a legendary guitar player. He always tuned is guitar down to Eb to get those massive bends and the single-coil growl.

TGT, First shot, 1eyedjack01 and 6 others like this.
  4. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

He is an acquired taste you either love him or you don't.

porschedog and Folsom_Prison like this.
  5. Desert Kraut

Desert Kraut

6. benben

benben

His second time on Austin City Limits was fantastic, one of the best shows ever featured on that show!

TGT, UncleDave, 1eyedjack01 and 4 others like this.
  7. Maxx702

Maxx702 Rottweilers making America great again!

How can anyone not love Stevie Ray Vaughn?

pspez, GlockPride, TGT and 11 others like this.
  8. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

Honestly haven’t found much about his rig besides a wah pedal and a tube screamer. As for me and my tube amps I always just noon everything out and call it a day.

JohnH and Inyo Tim like this.
  9. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

Lucky you! The few interviews I’ve seen he seemed like a really humble guy.

10. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

Not sure how you could hate that kind of talent.

Cmacc, CBennett, porschedog and 2 others like this.
  11. pizza_pablo

pizza_pablo USN Retired

I LOVE me some Stevie Ray!

12. 1bigK

1bigK

I got to see Stevie when he was first starting out. Summer of 1982 at Red Rocks Amphitheater. Stevie was just starting to get some radio airplay at a few FM stations around the country, so he was not very well known yet. SRV was the opening act for Berlin and Talk Talk (if you can believe that, even I was saying how this lineup was totally backwards.) And I sort of knew that something special was going to happen that night.

I have to take a detour and paint the picture for everyone here. If you have never seen a show at Red Rocks, it should be on your bucket list. A natural amphitheater that only seats around 9,500 folks. Two giant red rocks, one on either side, that give perfect audio quality throughout the entire venue. From the stage the cement steps climb up to the top, with wooden benches slung from the front of these steps.

They used to open the gates at 11:00 and there would be this mad rush of the around 3-400 early birds to get the best seats up front (then it was all general admission). And everyone would spread out their blankets for their friends to show up later, and everyone would strip down to shorts or bikinis and start to drink slowly while baking in the sun and waiting for the concert that evening.

Around 2:30 or so the warm ups happen, and each band comes out to get their levels set, make sure that everything is working for the show, etc. First Berlin, then Talk Talk as they take turns "Test test test, a few guitar chords, etc. Okay. Mostly those in the audience ignore this. Then Stevie comes out with his band, he strummed his guitar twice, and they launch into a five song mini concert complete with a couple of long guitar solos. The moment that they start to play everyone shuts up, turns around to look at who is playing, and their collective mouths drop to the ground. I have never seen anything like it. The band finish this short show and leave the stage. All you could hear was who was that? And wow! I told those who were around me that was Stevie Ray Vaughn; and the kids were like I have never heard anything like that before.

As their friends showed up later going into the evening they were all going you are not going to believe this guy. They had to nearly push Stevie's band off of the stage so that the other bands could play. Stevie absolutely stole the show that night. It was amazing. This is one of my fonder memories. It happened while my life was going through a major upheaval.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    JohnH, Cmacc, porschedog and 8 others like this.
  13. LinuxLover

LinuxLover Ba-nan-nah-nuh

I don't know if it's still available - but there's a 4-disc album of SRV in some of his shows - and a DVD of his Austin City Limits shows - especially the one where he breaks a string and changes out into the SRV#2 Strat right on stage and never lost a beat.

A long time ago - I had the layout of his amps and EFX gear - but I've lost it over several computers burning down a lot of my files and vids, etc.

The disc set has a very big booklet in it that lays out a lot of his history until he died anyway.

PIX HERE ---> SRV 4_disc Box Set.jpg

I'm trying to read the Library Of Congress number - but the print's very small....

Lessee..... Here's the UPC 0074646571422

Here's an Evilbay listing: LINK HERE (it's very long!)

This box set will make even the strongest fan go numb with all the material in it. I keep mine in a safe with "other important" things.

14. JLA

JLA

One of my favorite videos of him . Looks like he just woke up lol. You can see him rub his eyes... yawn then had at it. Been a huge Stevie Ray fan for years. He was soulful, cool, and just plain awesome. He would often break strings on his guitar as he played it so hard.

View: https://youtu.be/grBmQwLSlDw

TGT, 1bigK, Inyo Tim and 1 other person like this.
  15. BobCZ

BobCZ

I saw SRV at the famed Pittsburgh club The Decade in the early 80’s while they were making their way up. I was maybe 15 feet from the stage when they started. He blew the roof off that place.
    ( the back cover of Texas Flood, I think, a band member is wearing a Decade T Shirt.

1bigK, Inyo Tim and Folsom_Prison like this.
  16. Berto

Berto woo woo

Extremely physical player, that guy. Tune low, play hard and floor it.

JohnH, Bill Keith, 1bigK and 2 others like this.
  17. papershoot

papershoot

18. Collo Rosso

Collo Rosso

Got to see him at the Jone's beach theater, spring 90'. Joe Cocker opened! Great show.

cbetts1, porschedog, 1bigK and 2 others like this.
  19. Powers77

Powers77

Put together an old stereo system at the vacation home. CD player with a pair of Advent speakers. Hadn't been used in about 12 years.
    First CD to test things out was "Couldn't Stand the Weather" .
    I'd forgotten how good that setup was. Sometimes newer technologies aren't better.

misterfox, 1bigK, 1eyedjack01 and 2 others like this.
  20. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

Awesome story thanks for sharing!

porschedog and 1bigK like this.