Stephen Hunter: I, SNIPER

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by dglockster, Feb 15, 2010.

1. dglockster

dglockster

If you are a Stephen Hunter fan, his new novel, i, SNIPER, is now available.

[​IMG]

If you have not read Stephen Hunter, you will probably like his books. I suggest you start with some of his earlier ones and read forward because his novels do build one on the other.

2. jasonvp

jasonvp Kantre Member Lifetime Member

It's actually been available since late December. :) I've already read it, and it's one of the best Bob Lee books he's done yet.

jas (long-time Hunter fan)

3. flatag

flatag Must have tacos

I'm reading "Time to Hunt" right now. "I, sniper" will be next. I found Stephen Hunter a couple of months ago. I have since read several other Bob Lee Swager books, "Dirty White Boys", "Point of Impact" and "Black Light".

Hunter writes exciting thrillers.

4. Tailhunter

Tailhunter Glockman

This .....

5. G21FAN

G21FAN Useless loser Millennium Member

Dirty White Boys wasn't a Swagger book, main character was a crusty old State Trooper by the name of Pewtie.

The Day Before Midnight is another non-Swagger book he has wrote.

My favorite was Hotsprings. I seem to like his Earl Swagger, Bob Lee's Father'
    Line of books more.

They are all good reading!

6. jasonvp

DWB is only tangentially a Swagger book, and more to do with Bob Lee's dad, Earl. It's a great book, but not one I'd really classify as a Swagger novel.

Before you dig into I, Sniper, there are two more Bob Lee books between it and Time to Hunt.
    47th Samurai
    Night of Thunder

After you've finished up Bob Lee, start reading all of Earl's books. They're fantastic as well. In this order:
    Hot Springs
    Pale Horse Coming - Best one of the bunch
    Havana

Of my 3 literary heroes, Bob Lee and his father Earl are in the list.

jas

7. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

The guy brings a good understanding of firearms to his novels. I enjoyed "Time to Hunt" and to some extent, "Point of Impact", even though parts of it were totally preposterous. One little nit pick about his cartridge terminology. The empty brass is a case, Stephen. Not a casing.

8. flatag

flatag Must have tacos

While Dirty White Boys didn't feature Bob Lee Swagger it set up all the Swagger books to follow.

9. goatranch

goatranch

Thanks for those titles guys. My bro was telling me about him this weekend. Gonna have to get some of those books pronto!

10. JBJ16

JBJ16

Yeah, like how to shoot accurately with a silenced (with a soda bottle) 22LR rifle while standing on a canoe or small boat 100+ yards away:rofl:

11. Thx-1138

Thx-1138 NRA Member

I enjoy reading Hunter's books; I'm reading through I, Sniper right now.

But it's time for him to retire Bob Lee Swagger, and perhaps the entire list of Swagger-related characters.

I almost stopped reading at The 47th Samurai. Don't get me wrong; it was a decent story; it would have been better had it not had Bob Lee in it. Days of Thunder was really pushing credulity.

If I wasn't able to check out the books from the local library, I wouldn't have started reading I, Sniper, which is a shame. It's better than the last two books.

12. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I didn't even see it on the bookshelves at the local Barnes&Noble or Borders.

Dammit!!!

13. devildog2067

devildog2067

If I'm not mistaken, that occurs only in the movie, not any of the books.

The only thing "Shooter" had in common with Point of Impact is the names of some characters.

14. CBennett

CBennett

I just got done reading time to hunt it was a great read...man some of those Vietnam episodes got MY heart pumping lol. Wife is taking that back to the library today. I got another a few days ago 47th Samurai or some such will start that now. I wanted to get point of impact but no one had it I think thats supposedly the "start" of the Bob swagger novels...and then I will grab I Sniper. They just did a great interview with him in either American Rifleman or Guns magazine(cant remember which) and they said even the "experts" cant find too much as far as the guns and gun handling/ballistics/way they work thats wrong so its gotta be good :) .

http://www.americanrifleman.org/Video.aspx?vid=2086

http://www.americanrifleman.org/Art...he-full-interview-text&utm_campaign=ShotShowR

15. jasonvp

What he said. "Shooter" was such a joke with respect to Point of Impact, it was almost painful to watch.

jas

16. deadite

deadite Groovy.

I'm a big Hunter fan, too.

I've read most of the Swagger novels and a couple others. Currently, I'm reading "Second Saladin". Pretty good, so far.

deadite

17. deadite

deadite Groovy.

+1
    deadite

18. hagar

hagar Millennium Member

His writing is getting poorer and poorer. I Sniper was OK, but not nearly as good as Point of Impact, Black Light and Time to Hunt. The 2 books before I Sniper (The 47th Samurai and Days of Thunder) were not that great either, better than most but not up to his earlier books.

19. MDLibertarian

MDLibertarian NRA Life Member

Interesting. I may have to start reading some of his books, especially since the guy lives only a few miles away from me and shoots regularly at On Target, an indoor shooting range and gunstore just outside the back gate of Fort Meade.

20. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Most of the books weren't all that hot, I must admit. I think that his best work was Point of Impact. I haven't read I, Sniper yet so I won't commend on that. But I already got the book on hold at Borders so I'll get crackin' tonight!!!