close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Step off!!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by GWSHARK, Feb 26, 2010.

1. GWSHARK

GWSHARK BITEYAHEADOFF

[​IMG]

Online debate rages over white group's step win

By KATE BRUMBACK and DIONNE WALKER
    Associated Press Writers

ATLANTA (AP) -- A fiery debate is raging after a white team from an Arkansas sorority took top honors in a recent step competition in Atlanta.

The rhythmic clapping and foot stomping routines known as stepping are thought to have started in black fraternities and sororities.

The uproar began when the Zeta Tau Alpha team from the University of Arkansas, whose members are white, won the national final in the Sprite Step Off competition last weekend. A YouTube video of their winning performance generated hundreds of comments, some of them inflammatory.

This week sponsor Coca-Cola announced "scoring discrepancies" and said the runner-up - the Alpha Kappa Alpha team from Indiana University, whose members are black - would share first place.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  2. tbhracing

tbhracing Senior Member

Got a video of them?

3. Jay9928

Jay9928 I laugh at liberals.

4. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

5. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 South 7th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    Profiling.

6. security79

security79 Gene Frenkle

Now they find "scoring discrepancies" and the black team will share first place. Hmmmm. I watched a true life episode on MTV about stepping where they followed a black team and a hispanic team from New York. Well long story short the hispanic team won the competition and there was outrage over it. Only difference was the hispanic team kept first place to themselves.

7. G19Tony

G19Tony Sneet CLM

White people can't jump, we can't step. Man, what CAN we do? :rofl:

8. BAILIFF

BAILIFF Piece Officer

9. jhoagland

jhoagland That's right! Lifetime Member

I wonder where the OP's stand on this is?

10. MO's Dink

MO's Dink Giant Member

11. buckhunter3987

buckhunter3987

ZTA Girls video

AKA Girls video

Scoring discrepancy changes results of Sprite Step OffShareThisPrint E-mail .By Nedra Rhone

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Five days after taking first place in the Sprite Step Off finals in Atlanta last weekend, the women of Zeta Tau Alpha's Epsilon Chapter from the University of Arkansas learned they would be sharing the spotlight.

On Thursday, Atlanta-based Coca-Cola Company, which sponsors the college step dancing competition, announced that because of a scoring discrepancy in the sorority results, the second-place winners, the Tau Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha, Inc. from Indiana University, would be recognized as co-winners and awarded the same $100,000 prize as Zeta Tau Alpha.

The change was revealed in a Facebook statement. It did not offer insight into the exact problem with the scoring or how it was discovered. Coke representatives said in an e-mailed response to questions from The Atlanta Journal-Constitution: "Due to the extremely narrow margin between the first and second place winning sororities, we conducted a further post-competition review and discovered a scoring discrepancy. There is no conclusive interpretation, nor definitive resolution for the discrepancy."

It was unclear what the original scores were, how narrow the margin was or if the competition judges participated in the review.

The announcement came after four days of blog posts and YouTube comments alternating between support for Zeta Tau Alpha's win and those doubting the competition results.

Zeta Tau Alpha is a predominantly white organization, which took first place in a tradition that has historically been dominated by African-American fraternities and sororities. Its winning eight-minute Matrix themed production got more than 200,000 views on YouTube, more than twice as many as the second- or third- place winners.

Anthony Antoine, 40, of Atlanta, who posted the popular YouTube video, said he was shocked when he received more than 1,000 comments on the post -- many focused on race.

"The bottom line was they didn't care if the girls were better or not, the people that were upset were saying white girls should not have won, period," Antoine said. "I think this is bigger than a step competition. Race relations in America still needs a lot of work,” he said.

Ironically, it was an attempt to foster unity that first brought Zeta Tau Alpha into stepping. The chapter at the University of Arkansas began participating 16 years ago in a Unity Step Show sponsored by the campus chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha, Inc., an African-American sorority. Through the years, the Zeta Tau Alpha teams learned a variety of steps as well as some history on the tradition of stepping, said Alexandra Kosmitis, a senior Zeta Tau Alpha who is a member of the current step team.

This year, after performing in the campus show, the team decided to enter the Sprite competition, she said. In October, they won the qualifying round held in Fayetteville, Ark., and after Christmas break, they spent three hours each day and six hours on Sundays perfecting their routine for regionals. After winning the regional competition, they earned a space in the finals.

“We were really excited. We knew it was going to be close and we knew we had good competition," Kosmitis said.

As for how the crowd would react to their team, they weren't sure what to expect. “I don’t think we felt uncomfortable," Kosmitis said. "We feel we were accepted by a lot of people in Atlanta.”

After learning they would be co-winners in the competition, Kosmitis said the nine-member step team remained grateful. “We are just keeping a positive attitude about it," she said. "We are excited to still have $100,000 for our scholarships and we are excited that someone else can have some money to help them out as well."
    http://www.accessatlanta.com/atlanta-events/scoring-discrepancy-changes-results-329103.html

Sound like classy ladies to me. I don't see how you can claim racism because a white group won a "black" contest, I am willing to bet the judges were predominantly black, as I don't expect too many whites to know enough about it to be qualified to judge it.

12. stooxie

stooxie NRA Life Member

+1

-Stooxie

13. banjobob

banjobob

Build the greatest nation the world has ever seen . . . and then sit back and watch it be destroyed from within

14. RustySocket

RustySocket

15. GWSHARK

GWSHARK BITEYAHEADOFF

May the best group win...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. GWSHARK

GWSHARK BITEYAHEADOFF

17. kestrou

kestrou Pin Member #4

Stepping? WTF?! Never heard of it...

Now I have, and I wish I hadn't... :upeyes:

Guess that makes me a certifiable "old fart", huh? :supergrin:

kestrou

18. Kith

Kith

unless you belong to one specific demographic, it's not racial profiling.

Racial profiling can only be used to describe attention directed at that one specific demographic.

bull^&#$ if you ask me, but that's the way it works.

19. ScarFace88

ScarFace88 I swear I had something for this...

20. podwich

podwich

We can't even have a single winner anymore. Ridiculous.