close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Steganography

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Griz, Sep 10, 2004.

1. Griz

Griz Arizona member Millennium Member

Does anone know how to do this?
    Basically hiding text in a picture, but being able to see the message when opened in the correct viewing program.

2. prism

prism more ammo

download.com has some steganography programs.

3. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

There are a number of stego programs (as stated above)

Remember something though, it's not quite as sneaky as it seems. The colour map gets screwed when you use this and anyone who is looking at colour map will know there's something in there. The pic will still show up and show up correctly, but there is a shift in the mapping.

Hard to impossible to break, depending on the encryption, but that it's there is sometimes half the battle.

4. Griz

Griz Arizona member Millennium Member

Thanks guys
    ;f ;f

5. lomfs24

lomfs24

I use or have played with, really, an application called stegohide in linux. It was really easy to use but you have to use it from a command line. It's limitations were that you could not hide anything larger than what you were hiding it in. For instance you could not hide an 800k text file in a 500k picture. There had to be some room to work with as far as file size.

I also had one for a trial period for Windows but I can't remember the name. I just had it for a trial period but you could pretty much hide whatever you wanted in whatever you wanted. You could hide a picture file in a picture file. And the first file could even be larger than the second. I think they wanted about $200 for it so I used it through the trial and then let it go.