Steelers-Giants MNF contest saw a 27% drop from last year.

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by DonGlock26, Sep 16, 2020.

1. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

"Monday Night Football ratings crash… Very Bad Numbers…

Posted by Kane on September 16, 2020 3:14 am

[​IMG]

The ratings for ESPN’s Monday Night Football are in, and they are not going to make the folks in Bristol very happy at all. Against the backdrop of large-scale social justice demonstrations that included Black Lives Matter t-shirts, a giant social justice banner, an entire team standing for the “black national anthem,” and at least 20 players kneeling in protest during the actual national anthem, the Steelers-Giants MNF contest saw a 27% drop from last year.

The second game of the Monday Night Football double-header, saw another notable drop of 2.5 million viewers. These numbers are bad, needless to say. However, the full context of how bad they are can’t be appreciated until you factor in two notable variables that have been included in this year’s rating formula which should be helping the NFL, but aren’t.

https://www.citizenfreepress.com/breaking/monday-night-football-ratings-crash-very-bad-numbers/ "

baren and alnicoG22 like this.
  2. redrick

redrick

More good news . Losing 25% of your customers is a big loss for a company . That percent of loss combined with ratings down last year hurt . If it continues it will make heads roll and CEO’s look for change .

Those of you that quit watching keep up the good work and those that haven’t , take a look at yourself in the mirror . For the sake of our country I hope that you can change . It is not just a game anymore .

Elkhound56, 540mope, jcm3 and 11 others like this.

3. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller A swamp dude

I’ll second that and add a hearty AMEN!

baren, CAcop, chowellacsbd and 4 others like this.
  4. Pistolay

Pistolay Wut?

I was a diehard Giants fan for decades, and an NFL junkie. 10 years ago, if there was a game being played, it was on TV at my house..

That said, I haven't watched a game since the whole kneeling thing started. And I no longer even care. If everything went back to the old days tomorrow, I probably wouldn't start watching again. I've found better things to do with my time.

5. GlockPride

GlockPride M&P

Sad that viewership is still that high. Should’ve been a 72% drop, but you do you. It’ll be alright.

About the only innocent name in all those on the helmets is Botham Jean, who was minding his own business in his own apartment when the off duty officer blasted him. The rest, not so innocent “angels” are not really good martyrs and can rest wherever they are.

APERS and jr24 like this.
  6. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller A swamp dude

How much of a decline in viewership is enough to cause sponsors to start cancelling contracts? 50%?

There must be exit clauses in the advertising contracts covering poor ratings.

baren and APERS like this.
  7. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

Diehard Steelers fan ,have not watched a game in 3 years .

8. APERS

APERS

Ditto this. 42 years worth. This is the first year in that time, I did not know who/where/when
    they were playing first. Usually months in advance. They could literally win/loose it all, and I couldn't care any less either way. Hope they go bankrupt with the other 31.

9. Pennsyltucky

Pennsyltucky

There comes a saturation point where most people are going to be tired of it.

baren and B C like this.
  10. jr24

jr24

jcm3 and CAcop like this.
  11. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

I was pumped for last Thursday's Chief/Texan game. With the pre-game and introduction, including the anthem, I just turned it off and went to YouTube for better entertainment.

baren, Glock1963 and B C like this.
  12. PrescottGlock

PrescottGlock

Share the Steelers fandom. Watched 2017-2019 despite the kneeling stupidity of the past three years. The "BLM" tee shirts and homage to rapists and murderers has put me over the edge.

The NFL did not waste a second before fining and penalizing Tim Tebow for taking a knee to honor God. The NFL did not waste a minute before denying the Cowgirls approval to wear a tribute to five murdered Dallas police officers on their uniforms.

But kneel during my national anthem, and wear the names of felons, rapists, etc., wear tee-shirts idolizing the very group which inspired the murder of the five Dallas police officers? All good, says the NFL.

I am done with professional sports. If they care about my business, and the business of a WHOLE LOT of us, they change their stupid palavering to some of the worst people ever to live in our great country, and issue an order right now that nobody kneels during the anthem and no player can wear the name of a felon on his uniform.

APERS, Pennsyltucky, baren and 2 others like this.
  13. CAcop

CAcop

The contracts are pretty solid but when negotiating time comes up the NFL is not going to be in a good spot.

Pennsyltucky, baren and B C like this.
  14. ClydeG19

ClydeG19

I’ve seen numbers that say we made a difference...13% drop in opening night and now this game. I’ve also seen an article that said the meat of the games on Sunday were on par with last year’s ratings.

Some games you could make the argument that the two teams playing just weren’t a big draw or didn’t have any must watch star players. This one is interesting because the Giants and Steelers are two big fan bases. You might see some teams in red states experience more of a ratings drop than blue states.

CAcop, APERS and baren like this.
  15. APERS

APERS

Good points! Adding one more if I may:
    The country has gone through months of the C19 induced lack, of ANY kind of sports. This is the opening weekend of the biggest sports of them all, the NFL. Remember, the ratings are based on TV viewership, not attendees at the games. And the ratings are down that much..? Seems like they would have been sky high, considering all that. Just an observation of course. The NFLe has to have noticed it. Eff 'em either way though.
    :flag:

CAcop likes this.
  16. jcm3

jcm3 G22 4 Me

My thoughts on a 27% drop from last year?

It's a good start.

[​IMG]

CAcop likes this.
  17. 540mope

540mope

The 3 local taverns within a short distance of my house are taking it in the shorts. People have stopped going for beer and football. Up until the NFL caved to some ungrateful whiny trash, those bars had crowds on Sundays. Can't blame that phony epidemic either. The bar owners may as well put Lawrence Welk reruns on the tv

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    CAcop and jr24 like this.
  18. jcm3

jcm3 G22 4 Me

redrick likes this.
  19. MurrayNevada

MurrayNevada USMC (MOS 0369) (RVN 69-70)

Pretty amazing as the Giants and Steelers both have a nationwide fan base.

CAcop and redrick like this.
  20. jr24

jr24

Black Rifle Coffee: highly entertaining videos, excellent coffee.

Jump likes this.