Steel Targets

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by lwal50, Mar 18, 2010.

1. lwal50

lwal50

I was going to buy some steel targets but they all say not to shoot closer than 30 yards with a pistol. I know it because of liability but how close do most people shoot steel targets? I would't shoot much if I had to be 30 yards away with a pistol.

2. elsolo

elsolo

3. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Probably half or more of my handgun shooting is at steel targets.
    [​IMG]

I shoot as close as 5 yards but mostly shoot at 10-15 yards.

Once in a while I'm hit by "splash back". This doesn't even sting but once in a great while a piece is large enough and sharp enough to scratch exposed skin. I can only remember this happening once in years of shooting.

The typical handgun bullet is traveling fast enough that it fragments to dust and very small pieces, that fly off the sides of the steel plate.

Two things that are hazardous is if the steel gets cratered and when shooting light loads.
    The craters will turn the bullet fragments back at you.
    The light loads aren't going fast enough to pulverize the bullet, so fairly large size pieces of bullet can fly back. I don't shoot light loads closer than 10 yards.

Just yesterday I was shooting lead bullet reloads in a .380 SIG P238. For some reason, probably loaded too light, I was getting a lot of splash back at 10 yards.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  4. mixflip

mixflip

I am making my own steel targets out of some scrap heavy gauge steel. I am having a buddy weld the 10x10 squares at an approx 70 degree angle on pedal-stools so I can shoot them at around 15 yards average.

5. David Armstrong

David Armstrong

There is no correct answer without more info. The bullet design makes a difference. The velocity makes a difference. The type of steel makes a difference. The angle at which the bullet hits the steel makes a difference. The condition of the steel (cracks, dimples, repairs, etc.) makes a difference.

Some steel I would shoot as close as 10 feet, some stuff I would be reluctant to shoot at 100 feet.

6. lwal50

lwal50

The targets at Sports Authority or Bass Pro with the round swinging targets are the ones I have been looking at would you feel safe with them at 10 yards?