Steel target stand

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by IowaLefty, Oct 26, 2015.

1. IowaLefty

IowaLefty

I order a A500 steel target, but finding a stand that is portable and doesn't end up costing twice what the target cost is tough, or at least is was for me. So, I set out to DIY one and it turned out so nice I thought I would share it. Now I searched the web and looked at hundreds of pictures, plans and read many threads on target stands. I wanted one that didn't sling a lot after the shot, was portable, reasonably light weight, easy to construct, made from parts obtained from a local hardware store, relatively inexpensive and durable. My main problem is, I haven't welded since high school (and that's been a long while ago) and even if I could remember how to weld, I don't have a welder, so welding was out. So here is what I ended up with.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All parts were bought new and just under $40. Obviously if you had some odds and ins laying around, you could reduce the costs. I did choose galvanized over plain black pipe, because the fitting selection was larger at the store I was at. The galvanized was slightly more expensive (Approx $5 overall), but I couldn't find all the fittings I wanted in the plain black.
    Here is my parts list:

1/2"x12" Galv Nipple- 6 each
    3/4"x48" Galv Nipple- 1 each
    1/2"x6" Eyebolt with nut (I added another nut, 2 washers and a locking washer and cut half the eye off the eyebolt)
    1/2"x1/2"x3/4" Galv Tee- 1 each
    1/2" Galv Tee- 2 each
    1/2" Glav Cap- 4 each
    3/4" Galv Cap- 1 each

So the base is 1/2" and I put a little JB Weld on the threads to really lock them in place, after initial fitting and testing. The upright is 3/4" and is just screwed into place, so that it can be removed for transportation and replaced when and if, it becomes shot up. I am sure that the eyebolt with have to be replaced at some time as well. I did wrap a piece of old bicycle inner tube around the post, where the bottom of the target swings back into it when shot, just to keep it from banging. The target that is on it, is a 12"x20"x3/8"thick, silhouette. I just got in from testing the stand and shot it 150 times with my G30 from about 15 yards away. Nice loud report when hit and stand was sturdy and stayed in place when shot. I have even though about replacing the top cap with a tee and hanging one small plate on each side of the silhouette, but that's a project for another day.

ranger1968 likes this.
  2. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    That looks pretty nice; obviously the upright post is the one that will sustain damage and have to be replaced at some point, but it's only one component of the stand and it;s cheap/easy enough to make spares...

I generally shoot outdoors on soft surfaces, so if it's a target that doesn't have to moved around a lot I use a section of steel "t" post; I cut the post to 60 " (they are 78" when you buy them) and weld a little tab with a 1/2 hole to it; I use a 1/2" bolt, a nut and a spring to attach the target to the stand.... The post is driven into the ground 10-12" with a sledge and stays there just fine; expense -wise, I am out of the whole shebang for about $8 or so tops, and I can make a few of them in an hour, so I have a bunch of them as spares... they store and pack easily , and work great. If you have a welder, you may want to give it a shot.,....

3. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Looks good.
    Simple, portable and easily repaired.

4. Lowcountry_Glocker

Lowcountry_Glocker

Bookmarked. When I have $40 laying around I'll make one - my target has 2 holes for mounts, though... I'll have to come up with something.
    The OG frame that came with my target got so chewed up I couldn't pull it apart anymore, and needed to leave it at the range! I crafted a wooden frame idea I ripped from someone else on the net. It was $22 for all the wood, and extra supplies... imagine a sawhorse, with a 2x4 on top, with two eye hooks screwed in, and you've got my target. the legs hold up well, after 2 range trips (and a few misses) they're still functional, but that top bar and hooks get chewed to **** every damned time. I often need to re-screw an eye hook 2-3 times a trip, and pick it up after the 10MM recoil on it knocks it over a few times too! :)
    I'll give yours a shot, if I can figure out how to make it with two hooks.

5. Bello

Bello America/Italia

Looks solid

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk