close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Steel guide rod G27

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by patman, Mar 4, 2010.

1. patman

patman Large member

Who uses a steel guide rod in a subcompact?I use them in my full size Glocks and they work great.Just wondering how people feel about them.I will be picking up a G27 soon and want to get rid of the factory plastic guide rod.I just plain don't trust the plastic ones.

2. MonsterB

MonsterB

Why do you not trust the plasic stock ones, the ones the gun was designed to work with and that are the most reliable glock springs you can get? Have you had one fail in person? :whistling:

3. Domestic615

Domestic615 OD G19

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the factory plastic guide rod but after using mine for 400-500 rnds i switched over to a LS Captured SS guide rod for my G33 more so for looks to match the polished barrel but i do feel better with steel parts then plastic but again the factory guide rod has been proved to go 1000's of rounds no problem its just up to you the SS rod wont add any performance improvement.

4. Larry V

Larry V

I have a Wolff or Lightning Strike Stainless Guide Rod in all my Glock. I love it especially in the 26 and 27!!

5. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

Hijack...

So there's no danger of a G27 stock guide rod breaking?
    I read there was a while back so I replaced mine with a SS one. It is my carry gun. Now I had 1k+ on the stock guide rod & no problems. But I was reading & it was suggested to replace it because the stock guide rod on a G27 & only a G27 is a weak link.
    Is that not the case?

6. paul45

paul45

So you deep down hate your Glock and want a 1911? :rofl:

7. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

Sure there is a "danger" in the stock one breaking. All of the parts in the pistol are mechanical devices, and as such are subject to breaking.

Who told you it was the "weak link"? A magazine article on aftermarket parts? The guy selling you the aftermarket part? You can shoot the pistol until the guide rod melts and the pistol will continue to function - it has been done. (a different plastic is now used).

Probably the most likely part to break is the non-NY trigger spring - and if it does break - the pistol will still continue to function if you only allow the trigger to return (only) to reset.

Virtually all LE agencies require all of the internal parts to remain OEM - there may be a reason for that.

Best advice - spend the money on ammunition, training, reloading equipment/supplies, etc. - That will make YOU more reliable - in most cases the shooter is the "weak link".

8. Domestic615

Domestic615 OD G19

No ive had my fair share of custom shop 1911's im over all that i enjoy a reliable gun that doesnt require being broke for it to function properly but you can always improve on perfection and in my case thats my using steel parts such as a guide rod and metal trigger for the feel more then anything else.

9. patman

patman Large member

Not on any of mine.But I was at the range one day and the guy in the lane next to me had his brake about half way through the guns first magazine.He was not pleased.I was talking to the owner of the range before I left and he said he's seen it happen many times.Better safe than sorry.The steel ones I use employ factory Glock springs,not after market springs.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  10. burthouse

burthouse

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Two seperate failures in under 4 months. One being slightly used the other being brand new. This is why people don't trust the "absolutely nothing wrong with factory" recoil spring assemblies. Personally my life is worth spending 30 bucks on a wolf assembly since my 27 is my carry gun.

The one failure happened during a detail strip when the front end broke as I took it out. The second one happened while at the range, and it rendered the gun useless. I couldn't fire it, couldn't rack the slide, and it took a good 10 minutes to get it to slide back and it was a huge pain in the ***. So I personally on sub compacts would recommend an aftermarket recoild spring assembly if it your carry firearm.

11. samuse

samuse

I put a Wolff uncaptured with factory weight springs in my 26 and it started having a stovepipe problem. 5-6 times in 100 rounds. It got very sensitive to limpwristing. I've been shooting Glocks for a long time and know how to grip a gun. I put the stock spring back in it and she runs like a top now. YMMV

12. Waffen Monk

Waffen Monk

I am heading to the range in about an hour with a glock 26 that I just installed a wolff uncaptured guide and factory weight spring on...I'll fill you in later.

13. AZson

AZson

If you have ever watch the video "Making your Glock rock" it states your stock guide rod can and will break, I've replaced all of mine with metal especially my carry guns.
    Make sure you try it out at the range right after you replace it though.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  14. patman

patman Large member

The Glockmeister sub compact guide rod uses stock Glock springs.I have not tried one but probably will in my G27.Glockmeister is a little off the hook for shipping charges though.I'll have to wait until I have other things to order.

15. Domestic615

Domestic615 OD G19

As i mentioned i bought a captured SS guide rod from Lightning strike , My first range trip over the weekend with it installed was great , Not a huge noticeable difference as i expected but it did add a little weight making it easier to keep the steady for follow up shots , Not to mention i feel alot better having SS instead of plastic because plastic can and will eventually break , No doubt the factory guide rods are tough but they have been shown to break , This happens alot more then you think just because its not posted on here that someones breaks it does happen im sure most people who end up having trouble with theirs just replace them an move on.

16. Boomer9x18

Boomer9x18

I lost it when there was that statement about improving perfection! I never knew that was possible. I guess you learn something new everyday.

15 years 6 Glocks and countless rounds fired and never a broken guide rod or any part for that matter. I have seen a video where a Glock 19 was fired a thousand times and got so hot that the guide rod melted and fell out of the the Glock but it just kept shooting

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  17. raw6464

raw6464

18. Markasaurus

Markasaurus

Because the plastic one is more likely to break then a steel one? I had an FEG P9 - it is a $250 Hungarian-made, Browning high power clone, that i gave away after i got my glock 26. Anyway it has a steel guide rod, which broke after less then 200 rounds. Naturally i just figured "cheap Piece of sh#$%$%" and had to send it back to the distributor, through the gun shop, and wait 6 weeks for them to install a new one (but they did put a new one in free.)

I was about to order a steel guide rod for my 26 from somebody but they botched the order and since it was twice the cost of a stock ditto, i just ordered a spare, stock OEM plastic one assuming the one already in the gun is bound to break sometime (based on my experience with the FEG). Thank goodness that unlike an off-brand FEG pistol, the world is filled with Glock parts, the spare was only $20/all from midwayusa.

19. patman

patman Large member

I got my G27 last week and installed my steel guide rod (Glockmeister) and a set of Trijicons.At the range Monday I fired just under 200 rounds of FMJ's (PMC) and JHP's (Remington Golden Sabers).The G27 functioned perfectly and accurately.I have a couple of factory guide rods around but I doubt I'll ever need one.Luckily the Glockmeister guide rod uses factory Glock springs so I have some replacements.